Help! Horse suddenly losing mane

viceversa

Visit site
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Over the last couple of days my horses mane has all been coming out underneath. He doesn't have history of sweetitch etc and always has a very thick mane which doesn't get rubbed by rugs. He's been in a rain sheet with no neck when needed or otherwise no rug. Skin not inflamed just seemed rather greasy and scurfy so gave it a good wash today.

viceversa

Visit site
No not at all! This is the underneath of his mane, there is a bit on the top which is still ok, I don't know if it's just got too warm and sweaty under there but it's never happened before!

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Have you found any clumps of hair anywhere in the field? If he's rubbing etc that may give you a clue.
Otherwise....over enthusiastic grooming by another horse, Cushings, thyroid disorder or stress come to mind.
Sorry, not much help....it's such a discrete area.

Equi

Visit site
Mine lost this same spot over winter. I assumed he was just too warm. I rejigged his rugs and its now about 2" long. What rug are you using now?

17342827_10210608940757176_4264504003219046515_n_zps9uxjuhem.jpg

viceversa

Visit site
No he's not worn a hood or anything like that. He's had a rain sheet on without neck or been naked. It's only really happened yesterday, clumps were coming out as I ran my fingers through the underneath of his mane, felt quite greasy. There's nothing in the field he could rub his mane on and it didn't look ruffled up like if he'd been rubbing. He's out in an individual paddock so other horses can't be doing it. Only thing I've noticed recently he seems itchy in general and he's been rubbing his face on his water bucked and got some scabs on his face from this, but otherwise his coat looks good.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Looks and sounds like what was called 'grease' in the old days. I think it's a fungal infection of the hair roots caused by damp and warm. I'd wash it in anti dandruff shampoo and hope it regrows.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
It could be mites. I have a coloured mare with a half black, half white mane. Her white bits grow very thinly, whereas the black is as thick as ever. She does suffer with mites, she also has Cushings, so is more susceptible to skin problems.

I ended up hogging her, and am growing it back now. The black is still growing the thicker than the white, but the white is improving. I took this photo today whilst riding as it happens. Not ideal as it was quite breezy, but you might be able to see the differences.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks for comments, I am wondering about mites. I will speak to my vet, just wanted a few opinions. I should also mention, he had a couple of lumps on his neck which also appeared yesterday and I assumed where fly bites however I've just gone up this evening and these seem a little worse / spread. Could these be related to the mane problem? He's not having feed so don't think he can be allergic to something?

Mrs B

Visit site
Don't know where you are in the UK, but the midges here on the South coast in Devon are suddenly just awful this year. Clouds of the beggars and making humans and horses itch like crazy ...

claret09

Visit site
I use "Flypor" it's a cattle preparation (it's not really sold for horses) but really works if they have mites and will give them protection from flies, etc for up to six weeks.

MochaDun

Visit site
My horse has been very itchy in the last week, shedding his winter coat and very hot temps - has got very hot in the last bits of his winter coat that still have to shed andrubbed himself almost bald in a couple of spots so he's had a thorough bath and got more hair out for him and he's all sorted now. I think it was just we were having high teen temps during day and down to 0 at night with odd frost so their coats don't know what to do, hanging on to some areas due to that I'm guessing. And like Mrs B said we have had lots of midgy type things out this week in the warmth and loads of flies this weekend.