help! how much for a Friesian X cob

demia8

Visit site
i need to sell my boy but have no idea how much for. His details are:

gelding, 4yrs, hacked out and schooled in field and gone over small jump. 14.1hh. Fairly quiet and willing to learn, nice temperment. not been in stable before and not shod (had trim though) He is not registered but up to date with vac etc

how much do you think he is worth?

I've looked online at others but cannot see anything that is similar to him..any help would be appreciated!

Queenbee

Visit site
I may get shot down for this but judging by the prices down here I would say £1000. Full Friesians with impecable manners and good scooling are selling for £3500 and upwards. unbroken cobs are selling for £500-£800. Your boy has done some work but not much and has by the sound of it quite a bit of work that will need doing with it. Locally there is a fantastic prof backed reg new forrest, 3 yrs old and 14.2, hacking, jumping coloured pole. Really nice sort would make good competition/PC type being sold with everything due to lack of time and no rider. He is being advertised at £700!!! I do think this is too cheap even considering the current market (if I had time and cash I would be going to take a closer look!) but things are not selling so even with Friesian in him I would say no more than £1000 and possibly less with the work that needs doing.

Sorry thats not really what you want to hear

samcrob

Visit site
I'm no expert in pricing horses - I always say alot more than everyone else! In this case it might depend on his looks (fickle, I know). But Friesians are very 'desireable' so are more expensive compared with other breeds. If your horse looks more friesian than cob and is black with no white I would say £2500 - 3k if his temprement is as nice as you say?

demia8

Visit site
someone told me 2300 which i think is alot. he really is a sweetie but i know time are hard at the moment so not sure if people would be buying.

ischa

Visit site
I have to say £1500 - 2000 depending on work , temperament etc
Again I own 3 pure reg friesian youngstock which 1 is up for sale , I can't even get rid even with reducing my price by 1500 alot of friesians are selling from 2500 pure breeds

Mistletoe-Kiss

Visit site
£800 if he looks nothing like a friesian, maybe £1000 if he does.
I'm going to sound harsh, but most people wanting to buy a horse will be put off that he's been backed but never in a stable or shod :eek:

demia8

Visit site
thats fair enough i wanted your personal opinions so its not harsh. :)

ischa my friend is looking for a pure bred one at the moment (she doesnt click with my boy) do you have advert i can forward to her?

Queenbee

Visit site
I'm no expert in pricing horses - I always say alot more than everyone else! In this case it might depend on his looks (fickle, I know). But Friesians are very 'desireable' so are more expensive compared with other breeds. If your horse looks more friesian than cob and is black with no white I would say £2500 - 3k if his temprement is as nice as you say?

That's absurd, are you looking at a different market than I am??! As Ischa has said "NOTHING" is shifting even purebred Friesians are having a hard time in the market, I personally do not see the point in crossing a friesian with a cob and then that might be marring my judgement on pricing, but I seriously doubt if anyone would want to pay £2500-£3000 for a horse that has not had a proper education. When the market was better than it is now I paid £1000 for my mare (8 years ago) she was 7 then, she had been backed and hacked out very occasionally, she wasn't great in traffic had never had any schooling, hated stables, hated picking her feet up, had never been shod. But to look at she had everything going for her to make her an excellent sports horse/ RC type. She is Friesian x TB and really has the 'wow' factor.

I totally stand by £800 max, but then I am judging on our local market. There is a 14.2 professionally broken 3yr old reg newforrest that is aboslutely stunning locally, he is jumping, schooling and hacking and being sold with everything for £700. If he doesn't even look like a friesian and have white markings he would have to have great confirmation, paces, manners, have had all the ground work (stable, shoes, loading) and be hacking out and starting to school for me to consider paying something like £2500 - 3k I would also probably be expecting it to have been to one or 2 local shows for that.