HELP I can't use my legs lol?

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Hi all,

Just after some tips please?

I bought a new ponio about 3 months ago and he is an absolute angel. Safe as houses, perfect nature and just generally an all round dude!

He was previously mainly used for show jumping and I am more of a dressage diva, so we are currently doing some retraining. I have to say mainly it is going very well, he is a super bright chap and is already happily adopting a long and low outline, working from behind and really stretching, so his paces have become much less choppy and front end draggy lol. :)

However, he is very, very sharp off the leg to the point that I am currently only able to turn him using body weight, position and angle, also only able to use seat bones rather than inside leg to outside hand to get him on the bit! Any pressure from legs and he shoots off, even just laying them on.

Suffice to say my circles and rein changes are interesting and cannot even contemplate moving on to any leg yielding! I was hoping to get him out competing in the spring but, can't unless I get this sorted.

Any nifty tips please?

Thanks in advance. :)

Also posted in competition and training.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand your problem - most people would give a lot to have a horse/pony which is so responsive to the aids. Perhaps you need to refine yours? A good instructor could help you.

Polar Bear9

Visit site
You lucky thing. I'll swap you for my dead to the leg stroppy mate with a hard mouth and a stubborn streak? Its taken me years to get her half way listening to me

Shay

Visit site
Our SJ'r is like this. We're in the process of switching to eventing and so need the dressage. But he thinks any leg pressure means "forward faster...".

We manage with just weight and body position changes. Leg pressure is nothing more than supportive and indicative. It took a while to find out where the buttons all were (and in many cases to establish buttons at all!) but everything is done from weight, seat bones, rider head position etc. A good instructor should be able to help you but my daughter also got lessons on a dressage schoolmaster to feel what the response should be like on a grand prix horse so she knew what it was she needed to teach him. It looks great as she literally seems to sit there and do nothing - but it took about 8 months I think.

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Thanks Shay, yes he is exactly like that!

My last horse was very different, so I guess it will just take a while to get used to it lol. I have been just using seat, position etc, I just need to get better at it.

Early days. :)

muckypony

Visit site
I understand!

My old pony was a saint, but like yours was very sharp off the leg, a little touch and she was off! Only way I found was to put and then keep the leg on, and then deal with the shooting off using your seat, voice etc. It will take time as it is the complete opposite of what she's used to.

As much as everyone would say that having such a responsive horse would be great, it is much easier to get a slow horse going, than to slow a fast horse down!

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Thanks Muckypony,

Yes I am finding it quite exhausting lol, was really quite surprised at how hard it is to deal with. I will try your idea of leaving the leg on gently and see how he takes to it. He is very responsive to voice thankfully, just not to the point of 'please do a 20m circle at C' lol. ;-)

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I have always been taught the sharper the horse the more leg you need. A sluggish horse needs short sharp aids. A sharp horse needs smaller, longer aids to try and avoid an overreaction. Firstly just work on keeping your leg close until he accepts it. Turn on the forehand is also quite good for these types as there is no forward movement associated with the leg. Don't be afraid to use your leg and try using lots of half halts so close the rein and "block" with your core, but close the leg. Also I have found with sharp horses using a bit more leg in downwards transitions can help. Overreacting/not accepting the leg is just as much a "vice" as ignoring it, but I think it is easier to fix. Just be patient and try to ignore it, don't pull him up too much or you may have the opposite effect. Leg close and use body/seat to achieve the required speed.

oldie48

Visit site
yes, great to have a responsive horse but you do need to be able to use your legs! We've spent the last 9 months working with my horse on this. First of all we slowed everything down, then we got him to take more weight behind, still keeping everything very slow. Transitions initially were interesting as he wanted to come off his hind leg and go big as he found it easier, then we worked on keeping him really soft in front so he couldn't use his neck or the bit as a bit of a fifth leg. Gradually over time I've been able to put my leg on and not have him run away from it but I still have the lovely active and forward horse I fell in love with. Personally I think my horse used speed to balance himself and once he was stronger and started to trust himself (and me) that he could stay in balance he really started to improve. I don't know if this is of any help to you but good luck, your horse sounds lovely!

littleshetland

Visit site
Absoloutley agree with muddy grey - the sharper the horse, the more consistent the leg 'pressure' has to be - a lot of work in the walk will help, especially lateral work, lots of half halts and loads of praise when you get the reaction you want. It's a fairly easy problem to fix. Good luck

Stormhillpilgrim

Visit site
Thanks Muddy_grey & oldie48,

Great advice from both of you and glad to know I am not a complete numpty lol.

Muddy_grey - I will try the downwards transitions the way you suggested as being so forward it is hard not to back off on those.

Oldie48, yes I am 99.9% sure that's what my boy does, as have managed to slow him down a bit now and have since started to notice he struggles more on corners, so have to really half halt him and balance him before every turn or corner.

Thanks both of you. :)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Ha I really feel for you! I have changed from a 15.3hh tank, to a 14hh little cob, who will change direction if I move my head to talk to my instructor! So I really know how tiring it can be, I was exhausted by the end of my lesson on Sunday!

ps I have to look at here so I can hear what she is saying because I am slightly hard of hearing!!

gmw

Visit site
Thank you Stormhillpilgrim but live out the back of beyond!!!. Did have a little mare like that, had only to think trot and we were off!! Bless her taught me to ride though.