Help in horse search......

L&M

Visit site
Hi all, just in case anyone know of something suitable for my 70 yr old friend - she is a competent rider but having had a fall recently from her ISH, had lost her confidence a little and looking for a slower model/happy hacker type. I have searched Horsemart/Horsequest/Preloved but not come up with much. She is after:

- gelding ideally (will be kept with another gelding who can occasionally be riggy)
- 14hh - 15.2hh
- happily consider older horse
- safe to hack alone, mainly country lanes but occasional open hill country/fun ride
- must be good to handle on the ground, load, shoe etc.
- happy to live out but field shelter/stables available if needed

To be kept on a 10 acre small holding and will want for nothing. It will rarely be schooled, unlikely need to jump bar step over the occasional log/ditch out on hack, and have a very easy no pressure life.

She lives on the Shrops/Welsh borders and willing to travel to view within reason. Looking to spend no more than £5000 but have warned her the current horse market is very different to the last time she bought a horse!!!

If anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Many thanks

L&M

Visit site
Will have another look, anything I found was either too expensive or too far away, but haven't looked this week yet........thanks

ihatework

Visit site
I do know of something (although not sure on price). But is a mare.
If you would consider a mare let me know and I’ll ping details over

Reactions: L&M

L&M

Visit site

Thank you, I will bare this in mind if they cannot find a gelding.

Last edited:

L&M

Visit site
Mares and geldings can live happily together I had one of each at home for years and they were fine.
I appreciate that, but their current retired gelding has shown riggish tendencies - they are not anti mares, but concerned if he did re-act to a mare they would have to adjust any managment. There would only be 2 horses on the property, so would be a shame if they could not be companions as well, but possibly a compromise would be made for the right horse.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I appreciate that, but their current retired gelding has shown riggish tendencies - they are not anti mares, but concerned if he did re-act to a mare they would have to adjust any managment. There would only be 2 horses on the property, so would be a shame if they could not be companions as well, but possibly a compromise would be made for the right horse.
Thats fair enough not all geldings can be turned out with mares.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Believe it or not but there do seem to be some nice ones on Dragon Driving - and they're not all from traders.
I've been looking for a cheap youngster to keep my ex-racer company when my retirement livery mare is put down before winter and it's amazing how quickly some (of all types) are being sold, not just on DD, but the other sites too. It's not unusual for ads to be removed within a day of posting so you do have to be quick - I've already made the mistake of waiting a few days and by then it's already gone.

L&M

Visit site
Believe it or not but there do seem to be some nice ones on Dragon Driving - and they're not all from traders.
I've been looking for a cheap youngster to keep my ex-racer company when my retirement livery mare is put down before winter and it's amazing how quickly some (of all types) are being sold, not just on DD, but the other sites too. It's not unusual for ads to be removed within a day of posting so you do have to be quick - I've already made the mistake of waiting a few days and by then it's already gone.
Hadn't thought of them, will get googling!

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Hi all, just in case anyone know of something suitable for my 70 yr old friend - she is a competent rider but having had a fall recently from her ISH, had lost her confidence a little and looking for a slower model/happy hacker type. I have searched Horsemart/Horsequest/Preloved but not come up with much. She is after:

- gelding ideally (will be kept with another gelding who can occasionally be riggy)
- 14hh - 15.2hh
- safe to hack alone, mainly country lanes but occasional open hill country/fun ride

To be kept on a 10 acre small holding and will want for nothing. It will rarely be schooled, unlikely need to jump bar step over the occasional log/ditch out on hack, and have a very easy no pressure life.

She lives on the Shrops/Welsh borders and willing to travel to view within reason. Looking to spend no more than £5000 but have warned her the current horse market is very different to the last time she bought a horse!!!

Many thanks
Ask Oliver Shaw how much he wants for Gentle George. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10161314066260407&set=pcb.10161314071450407

" 15/15.1hh Gelding, late teens
Gentle George, suit disabled/elderly/nervous rider or driver.
Rides and drives, perfect for someone to plod about on.
Ridden and driven videos available"

Last edited:

L&M

Visit site

SO1

Visit site
Plenty on right horse right home if she doesn't mind a medical issue. This one is 13.3 if she a little flexible on height.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
He looks fab! Thanks will pm him
Bear in mind he's a low end of the market driving horse dealer. He has a good reputation, though. I only know one bad thing about him - he gets his own vet in to look at a batch of horses & do all their teeth, vaccines, pregnancy checks, etc and then advertises them as "already vetted". Eyes open but I don't think he'd lie to a direct question! Ask about George's joints & what medication he's on. He will have started driving on tarmac at a young age. & get your own vet in. Edited to add the upside would be you shouldn't have to worry about traffic with him.

Last edited:

exracehorse

Visit site

- 14hh - 15.2hh

Many thanks
Shame she is so far away as a friend is full loaning her older happy hacker to move yards.

Fielder

Visit site
I've seen loads of cob types around 14.2 within budget advertised on local groups on facebook. Smaller end of size will be more likely to come in budget in my area.

Catherine Scholefield seems to have some nice 14.2 happy hacker cob types in but thats leeds so quite far

check dodgey dealers pages though

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Local RDA groups might be worth asking. Sometimes they have horses that aren't suitable for them for a number of reasons but are generally going to be safe, straight forward types.