Help !! insurance

Goldenstar

Visit site
Please could anyone who insures their let me know what they pay monthly .
Some of you may now we are having a nightmare with my parents .
My mum is paying £117 a month to insure a dog that’s seems mad to me .
Is that right ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I stopped my GSD Odin's insurance when it went to £87 a month. He was already doddery and I would not have put him through any great treatment as no treatment would have cured old age.

That was in about 2012, so I can believe the amount you are paying. I tried to renegotiate but they were having none of it!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I pay about £12! I think the 9yr old is a bit more at around £15. They are insured for accident or injury mainaly and no lifetime cover as thats just a con.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I pay about £12! I think the 9yr old is a bit more at around £15. They are insured for accident or injury mainaly and no lifetime cover as thats just a con.

Mine was lifetime cover, but after an operation on his elbow that was over £2,500, plus ligament issues behind, we kept it up. It was not an accident, he grew bad joints after an operation to correct an abscess from his vaccination, but the joints (and ligaments) played up more than a year after the initial incident. Therefore a normal cheap policy would not have covered him.

He is the only one I kept mega £££ insurance for as he was vulnerable after having the raging infection from 12 weeks to 20 weeks, when he also did a lot of growing.

Goldenstar

Visit site
My mums is with more than ( well named in this case ) .
It’s 8 k limit lifetime cover £150 excess .

The dog is old but healthy I am going into the vets this morning and get them to look over her .
Tempted to put her into the mi pet club to get her vaccinated and things ( they have lapsed ) and wing it on the insurance ( I can afford to do that ) .
Mums very short of money , and I had to remove the dog because it was not getting looked after .
It’s all a bit nuts .

Sandstone1

Visit site
I pay petplan about £25 a month for 5 year old lab. Having said that I cancelled my old Gsd girls as it went up to £75 a month and as I wouldn't put her through anything major at her age I stopped it. Unfortunately it seems that they hike the price up just when you might need it

Annette4

Visit site
I pay £28.44 for a 2yo longdog and £27.41 for 5yo whippet.

I'm tied to insurers who will cover their sports of most class it as racing so it isn't covered 🙄

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
£17 (1 y/o pedigree)
£46 (10 year old pedigree with claimable chronic health condition, two previous conditions excluded)
£72 (10 year old pedigree with claimable chronic health condition)

All lifetime cover with 7k or 12k fees, prices include a 10% staff discount. I am still getting more back than I am paying in, in terms of meds, but only just - I will think about knocking it on the head at renewal for the older two.

From experience for an older dog with pre-existing conditions £117 would not be exceptional, and I expect there'll also be a co-payment on top of that fixed excess.

On the Hoof

Visit site
£22 per month with Agria, we have just cancelled my MIL's dog insurance as we discovered they were charging her £85 per month - that was with John Lewis.

cbmcts

Visit site
Just gone up £8 a month to £44 per month for a 6 yo large breed with the Coop who have the same underwriter as petplan for £5k pa lifetime cover. In the 3 years I've had the dog there's only been 1 year when I didn't claim the full £5k, that year I only claimed about 2.5k...

3 years ago petplan quoted £88 pm for similar cover.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thanks all .
I have got Mum to cancel it .
The dogs needs a dental and a heart X-ray which can been done with the dental .
Vet said the heart X-ray could wait but it makes sense to do it with the dental .
Cost of that is about 220 .
I have enrolled her in the mi pet club so her vaccs and basics will be covered that’s 13 a month that evens out over the year I know that from my dogs .
With our luck atm she will break her leg next month.
Shes got third party on the house insurance .

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Depends on the breed and age of dog..??
Insurance is a minefield and most of the cheap ones are underwritten by E&L, quite frankly not worth the paper they are written on.
I have Great Danes which can be a nightmare to insure financially but Bought By Many do a few well tailored plans and I have decent lifetime cover for just over £80 a month for the two of them. My little dogs are not insured but I could kick myself for that as my one American Cocker is almost blind at the age of 5 due to hereditary cataracts :( The cost of fixing this is prohibitive to me and doesn't always work long term :(

SaharaS

Visit site
2 large, unusual non UK breeds, very comprehensive with life cover ,12k each a year, no limit per condition.19 or 20 each a month. Sensible excess. I did do a considerable amount if shopping around tho as some quotes were over 120 a month each..I also self insure, when I can, so I have a fund for animals/livestock/cars/house or chocolate emergencies.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
2 large, unusual non UK breeds, very comprehensive with life cover ,12k each a year, no limit per condition.19 or 20 each a month. Sensible excess. I did do a considerable amount if shopping around tho as some quotes were over 120 a month each..I also self insure, when I can, so I have a fund for animals/livestock/cars/house or chocolate emergencies.

What breeds do you have..?? :)

SaharaS

Visit site
Ooohhhh lovely. I know a lady who has 3 Estrelas, though everyone thinks they are Leonbergers 🙄🙄🙄
Haha yes..that or Aussie what didn't think they had a mountain there...or " stop..wait..don't tell me it's a fat gsd crossed with...don't tell me....." 🤦🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️good chance I might know her..initial suspect possibly name begins with G...if not T and her daughter R....other lady has 26-30 so can't be her....yes..they are addictive!

Stiff Knees

Visit site
Thanks all .
I have got Mum to cancel it .
The dogs needs a dental and a heart X-ray which can been done with the dental .
Vet said the heart X-ray could wait but it makes sense to do it with the dental .
Cost of that is about 220 .
I have enrolled her in the mi pet club so her vaccs and basics will be covered that’s 13 a month that evens out over the year I know that from my dogs .
With our luck atm she will break her leg next month.
Shes got third party on the house insurance .
I think id have left the insurance in place until the investigations are complete. Something might just crop up that would have been covered.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I was with More than, but they wanted to out premium up to £120 a month for 2 JRTs.
I ditched them and went over to Animal Friends. I also dropped the amount of cover and it's now £20 per dog per month.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I think people often don't realise when they switch insurance that anything pre existing will be excluded, whether it's been claimed for or not.
An earlier poster said that cover for life was a con. I beg to differ. I work at a small animal vet, and the number of animals we see with long term health issues excluded because of 12 month policies is huge. And people with inadequate or no insurance who can't afford needed treatment, it can be heartbreaking. No vet will direct claim with E&L or Emporium, it's so much hassle and they are very slow to pay, if at all. So if you go with a cheaper company, check you are able to direct claim, or make sure you can pay yourself and claim it back, should your pet need expensive diagnostics or treatment.