help? long reining

CallieAndFrankie

Visit site
My horse has been long reined before but this was before I got him and I have never long reined myself before I have watched it done and understand from that perspective but now onto doing it myself having someone else help me is no option as no-one really bothers riding or working their horses on my yard, I just want to longrein him round the roads/over motorway bridges to traffic proof him a bit more before he gets brought back into regular work as he is currently turned away but would like to get him bombproof-ish and get some topline of him I know how to steer but how do I get my horse moving on the long rein have seen people flapping the long reins on the horses sides but don't think my youngster would appreciate that. So how do I get pony moving forwards?

Dumbo

Visit site
Unfortunately I can't help as I have exactly the same problem so I'll be watching this thread! My horse just looks around at me and despite telling him to walk on and a tap with the whip he just turns in and wants cuddle!

Spiritedly

Visit site
They should move forward from the 'walk on' command, to start with you will probably need a headcollar under the bridle and an assistant at your horses head holding the leadrope so when you give your command they can start walking and the horse walks with them, then gradually they move back till the horse is going from your voice only. It is important that they don't say anything and they only help if the horse isn't responding to your voice.
Our 3 1/2 year old is getting there with the commands but occasionally needs a reminder when first starting off but within a few minutes he remembers what he's supposed to be doing.

Borderreiver

Visit site
Why not try teaching some commands before the complication of using long reins? You can teach 'walk on' on a lead rope and I use clicker training with mine rewarding first a little try and later a good smart march forward. Set up a 10 m circle with a few cones and practise walking around them, starting and halting, later introducing 'trot on'. Make sure your halt cue is really solid. Later they will go round without any rope just using commands. Put a wooden mat or an old car mat in the centre of the circle to act as 'home'. Teach to stand still on mat. Later introduce long reins and get him used to them flapping about. Then one day pick them up and use 'walk on', maybe with a helper at the front if you have one. He should soon get the idea as by then he knows that command.
I'm no expert but that is how I do it with my young Highlands who long rein off the headcollar at home, though use a bit when out. Good luck!
Here we are out for a walk
IMG_1774.jpg

benson21

Visit site
I had donovan going off of my voice before trying to long rein. he has puicked up long reining really well, and we are both quite confident with it now.

Took a fair bit of nerve going out on the road, but so please we done it!

Christsam

Visit site
have you got somewhere to have a practice in first? you may be surprised about how easily your horse will walk on. You can start to the side as if you are lungeing with another rein around the back to get started and so the horse can see you and you may find this easier. My young boy has learnt all the commands on the lunge and walked straight off when i first long reined him. good luck with it :)

Also, you say your horse has long reined before so hopefully he knows to go forward on a voice command.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You can always carry a driving whip for if you need it, provided you can cope with something else in your hands.
Don't go on he roads until you get plenty of practice in an enclosed area. It's easy to get in a mess if you aren't very experienced and your horse spooks and spins round.

Last edited:

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
What do you guys use as the reins - I have tried using 2 lunging reins but seem to have a lot of coiled line in my hands.

Even so we have been up and down the track round the yard with great success. I am going to have a lesson soon to learn more.

JHC

Visit site
I use two lunge lines clipped to the saddles D rings, looped through the bit then through the stirrups.

I was taught it this way when working for a eventer as he believed it got the horse used to a way of going when a rider is on board as they're more like reins.

rubyrumba

Visit site
I long reined my horse for 3 months before he was backed and here there and everywhere and he is a saint now! I tried to take him to as many different places as possible and got kids to canter past him and completely leave him etc. It has done him the world of good!

IMG_3387_zps74b7d565.jpg