Help!Mare collapsing when girth fastened.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Magic did not seem her usual self this morning. She came in gassy again last night but has plenty poos in stable and eaten all her hay so I would rule out colic. She seemed abit tucked up and when I put the saddle on and tightened her girth she started to collapse! Undid it very quickly and took saddle off. No sign of pain along her back so I lunged her steadily in walk and trot and she seemed fine. No abnormal behaviour. One thing she did do as I got in arena is have a wee. Would busting for a wee make her uncomfortable with girth? Decided to turn her out as I had ruled out colic and any footiness. Galloped up field. Sorry it's so long but it scared me to death. Any thoughts please as I daren't try to put saddle on again.

Halfstep

Visit site
Yes, this is actually more common than you'd think. I had a horse who would collapse when the girth was done up unless done extremely carefully. Bursting for a wee would certainly make it worst.

From now on, do the girth up extremely slowly and walk the horse around while you do it. Getting a sheepskin sleeve for the girth should help too. What happens is that for whatever reason the big nerve that runs close to the surface in the girth area gets trapped, triggering what is almost like a fainting fit.

K27

Visit site
I'd think about contacting the Vets just to check it's nothing major esp if she hasn't been right, and if all ok then maybe a physio could check out any tightness under the chest/girth/elbow area, as there are loads of nerve endings under where the girth goes and if a horse is particularly girthy, they will feel it. Try fastening the girth a hole at a time very gently and slowly, walk around and repeat, so she has time to adjust to the pressure of the girth being tightened. Also there are different shaped girths for horses with different girth grooves, if she has a forward girth groove then a shaped girth might help, if it is more of a backward girth groove then a straighter girth might be better?

Maybe something softer or a Sheepskin girth cover might help too.

Assume the saddle is all ok for her as well?

Gd luck hope you get it sorted :)

nomad

Visit site
one of mine does this.i have to put saddle on and do girth loosely.i then put on his boots and bridle,by this time i can do his girth up abit.i then walk him about 2 mins and then can tighten girth.i also use a sheepskin cover and find this helps.as said above its something to do with the nerve that runs along the girth area

Finlib

Visit site
Had it happen to a big arab my husband owned a few times he looked almost like he wa sdoing a bow circus style.
I change to a soft cottage craft girth and did it up slowly and it never happened again .

Brownmare

Visit site
I had a horse on loan years ago who would do this. The vet said exactly the same as Halfstep and K27 so I just girthed up v loose, then tightened it a hole at a time after bridling, booting, picking out feet, walking to mounting block etc. I would then stand in the stirrups for the first few strides after moving off and do a final tighten. Phew! Actually it got so ingrained I still do a shortened version now because I think it must be nicer for them.

My horse was also bad to travel in a trailer - not sure if it was related but we always thought it was. Sadly that was in the days before we had a reliable physio / chiropractor in the area so we never got him checked out but I often think now that he could have been fixed. If this is a new thing with yours then definitely get a chiropractor out asap

Slave2Magic

Visit site
What I find odd is that she's never done it before. Was fine at a show on Sunday. Same girth that I always use. I'll see what she is like with lunging roller later on. If she's no better I think I'll get my physio out.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
is she changing her coat atm? it can make them particularly thin skinned.

I have had it happen with a tb, and mums anglo who is generally girthy and I made the mistake of not leaving it loose for long enough once (one saddle broke :eek: oops!)

Slave2Magic

Visit site
She's not changing coat but this morning she did seem fluffed up. I know it has been quite chilly on a night. I have bought a sheepskin lined girth with elastic at both ends to try.

Slave2Magic

Visit site
Small update. Decided to find out if it was discomfort in her back or discomfort from the girth. Rode her bareback with no problems. If her back was sore you would think it would hurt with me sitting on her in walk and trot?

Kate.Trommer

New User
Visit site
Iv been having a similar problem w a horse Iv been working with. Even if the girth is loose as soon as he feels it across his stomach area he freezes up and his eyes glaze over before he freakes out and completely collapses. We’ve tried everything we can think of like starting with a bareback pad, using a bigger girth, using treats, using a sheepskin cover and doing it extremely slowly and nothing works. Anyone have ideas?

Arzada

Visit site
Iv been having a similar problem w a horse Iv been working with. Even if the girth is loose as soon as he feels it across his stomach area he freezes up and his eyes glaze over before he freakes out and completely collapses. We’ve tried everything we can think of like starting with a bareback pad, using a bigger girth, using treats, using a sheepskin cover and doing it extremely slowly and nothing works. Anyone have ideas?
Have your horse been seen by a vet for this behaviour?

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Ulcers

Hackback

Visit site
Isn't it funny, on the original 10/11 year old thread no-one suggested ulcers. Now it's the first thing that springs to mind when anyone mentioned girthiness.