Help me decide between trailer and box?

Laura2408

Visit site
and also does anyone know where I can find a budget 3.5?!

Sorry I know this has been done to death!

So I have the option of a single trailer and 4x4 or a 3.5t box.
I will have to sell my own car and start again if I went for the trailer option but am not sure what sort of car would tow a single safely as I only have a B lisence yet get reasonable fuel economy. I looked at the tiguan, kuga and various others but would think it would have to be some sort of estate most likley (any ideas?) im also worried about how horse would travel in a single as he can kick when stressed!

Option two would be a 3.5 box, however the catch being I could only spend around £4k. For this it would be an older box with possible potential problems. However the pros would be that I could keep my economic car for my commute and I could also possibly carry his shetland friend to keep him calm, weight dependant.

My other concern is that I go everywhere alone, and I'm not sure which option would be easiest!

Any thoughts from anyone who has an idea of this type of thing? Also where do I look to buy a box/trailer?

Thanks!

rubydog

Visit site
Hi,
I was in a similar position to you I went to look at a 3.5 ton lorry it was very old and I could just see it costing me a fortune in repairs. I decided that for a similar budget I could get a nearly new single trailer. I was also concerned that my horse would not be happy in a single trailer as previously he had mainly travelled in a lorry with company. I have been out in the trailer for the first time this weekend on both Saturday and Sunday and I can honestly say the horse loves the single trailer - he was very calm and seemed to appreciate the extra space that he wouldn't get in a double trailer. The only difference for me was I have the use of a 4x4 so I don't have the day to day running costs of a 4x4 - I am towing on a b licence too. Good luck with whatever you decide.

PorkChop

Visit site
Someone I know has just bought a super 3.5 ton for under £3,000. However I think I would choose a trailer in your position, as if it is not in use is it costing you nothing.

MPop

Visit site
I purchased a 3.5 tonne box for £4,800 about a year ago and I absolutely love it. I go everywhere on my own as well and I love the fact that my horse is directly behind me and I would know the second that there were any problems. I have been lucky in that I haven't had any problems at all with my box - other than having to buy a new battery and alternator. It is always a risk buying an older box, but it's also a risk buying a newer box or a trailer as well. I made the decision to take the risk and go for it - and as a result have had the most amazing year taking my horse out practically every weekend. I found my box in Horse and Hound classified.

Laura2408

Visit site
I do around 30-40 miles per day in my car on average.

Those who tow on a B what car do you tow with? All of the gutsy 4x4s seem to heavy, I was thinking of an SUV or an estate but which are best? Current car is an Audi A3 sportback but I don't think it would do the job.

If I could find a decent car that would tow an ifor 401 I would proberbly go for that but this seems impossible. I like the tiguan but it's too heavy for a 401 and bateson Derby/cheval are too expensive even second hand. I basically would only want german and diesel which narrows the search considerably!

I have seen a few renault masters at about 5k but they are very old and I'm worried about repair costs. It's a hard one!

soulfull

Visit site
Doing that sort of mileage it would be cheaper to run a small car and a lorry

The fuel soon adds up on a big car or 4x4 (unless quite new£

furrycat

Visit site
I used to have a 3.5t Renault master horsebox, it was nice when it was running! However after 3 new turbos and finally an engine rebuild, all costing £££££ I just had to get rid of it. I am planning to get a small 4x4 like a Tiguan and trailer next year. It's a difficult decision, I was probably just unlucky with mine. It was a bit of a pain insuring, Mot and taxing 2 vehicles though, as the lorry is costing money just sat there whereas a trailer isn't really.

libby_fox

Visit site
I have recently bought a new ifor williams 506 and i love it! I was keen to get a small horsebox but the prices were just too high. But i do not regret getting my trailer its amazing!

ROG

Visit site
Anything that can be driven or towed on a B only licence is going to cost more due to the ever increasing demand

I would go for a reasonably economical 4x4 car with a lightweight down-plated trailer for single horse B towing as it gives the best of all worlds IMO

4x4 Skoda Octavia (tow car of the year) 1998 GVW with a Bateson Derby trailer (down plated from 1700 to 1500) is my usual suggestion which leaves 825 for the trailer load

Shazzababs

Visit site
The other option is to go for the trailer look into hiring a tow vehicle when you want to go somewhere.

Depending on how many trips a year you do it could work out cost effective.

e.g. We have an elderly discovery which we budget about £1000 per year to keep on the road (Tax, Insurance, MOT, Bits falling off etc.)

I can hire a Mitsubishi 4x4 with tow bar locally for £70 per day. So as long as I do less than about 15 trips a year its cost effective to hire the tow vehicle.

We are considering selling the landy and doing this as I only did 8 trips last year.

Edited to add: It helps that I'm well over 25 and have the old B+E License though!

Palindrome

Visit site
The other option is to go for the trailer look into hiring a tow vehicle when you want to go somewhere.

Depending on how many trips a year you do it could work out cost effective.

e.g. We have an elderly discovery which we budget about £1000 per year to keep on the road (Tax, Insurance, MOT, Bits falling off etc.)

I can hire a Mitsubishi 4x4 with tow bar locally for £70 per day. So as long as I do less than about 15 trips a year its cost effective to hire the tow vehicle.

We are considering selling the landy and doing this as I only did 8 trips last year.

Edited to add: It helps that I'm well over 25 and have the old B+E License though!

You can hire a 3.5t horsebox for between £65 and £110 a day round here, don't need B+E as well :)

showaddy1

Visit site
Another thought... can you drive a trailer?? I have an old license, drive a teranno with a rice trailer... all maybe legal, but I still cant reverse!
I too am debating buying a lorry and small car, I think it will pan out the same cost wise - the truck is horrific on diesel, and it means I can drive stress free, without the worry of having to reverse a trailer!

buddylove

Visit site
I was in the same boat! My brain knew the theory but it was just not happening in practice! Have given up and sold my lovely 511 and taking delivery of my new build 3.5t in the next few days - i love my husband!!

Carefreegirl

Visit site
Same as Soulfull.

I was spending £60 per week on fuel in a 4x4 (this was 7 / 8yrs ago when diesel was 90p litre. I now spend £20 pw in my little 1.4 Citroen. The lorry is so handy, not just for the horse but for furniture removal etc :wink3:

It's used nearly every week and if it's not had a run I'll go shopping in it as small enough to take up a couple of spaces at the back of the car park. I've even used it to get to work once when my car was off the road lol

Just to add - they only need an MOT rather than Plating which is so much less hassle. I would recommend though that you use a mechanic who will check absolutely everything. I'm lucky as my YO's hubby is a mechanic who checks the floor, ramp, etc etc which a non horsey person wouldn't do be it MOT or Plating

Last edited:

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have a B+E licence so my combination is irrelevant to you but I go all over the place on my own.

Often out cubbing at silly am, or eventing several hours away. I like having my Terrano as its less strain on my back to drive and has the luxury of heated sests!!!

With a little practice the reversing and hitching up is no problem, literally takes me 2 mins

LFD

Visit site
I bought an old 3.5ton VW conversion for £3,000 a few years ago and love her! I'm away most weekends on my own and always feel very safe (for me and my horse). I have had about £1,000 of mechanical work done on her inc. MOTs and service but she always starts first time everytime. I now need to get a larger lorry to carry both my horses but can't seem to part with my little lorry and she is the only one on my yard that seems to not cause any issues.

I would agree to ensure to get a mechanic to check over a lorry if that's what you go for as I think I have been very lucky with mine.

dark rider

Visit site
For me, with my mileage, a small car and a horse box works best. Although my horse box is a 7.5 tonne becasue I am old enough to not need a HGV licence to drive it. The running costs of the horse box are very low.
Remeber that if you have a trailer, the total weight of a trailer, plus horse, plus kit must not exceed 80% of the weight of your car. So, although some big estate cars are heavy enough, many are not. In the past old Volvos and VW's were good tow cars, Cheap, reliable and indestructable.

ROG

Visit site
Remeber that if you have a trailer, the total weight of a trailer, plus horse, plus kit must not exceed 80% of the weight of your car.
Total rubbish - no such law or rule

Many vehicles are designed to tow much more than their kerb weight - there are few 4x4s that are around 2200 kerb weight, 2800 GVW and are designed with a 3500 towing capacity

Many get confused with the 85% caravan towing safety advice

Happy Hunter

Visit site
If it were me - I would shell out £200 ish for the trailer license! Not only does it give you safe and expertly advised practice, it will save you money in the long run enabling you to choose whatever combination of 4x4 and trailer you like :)

siennamiller

Visit site
I have a kia sorento, and a trailer and I love it. I go everywhere on my own, use it at least once a week in summer, and a couple of times a month in winter. Takes me two mins to hitch up, and I have learnt to reverse now (yay!).
I find it really easy to have a trailer, one of the biggest things for me was doing the ramp on your own, it's easy if you have a hydraulic ramp on a lorry, but not all of them do.
Having said that, if I had to drive a lot for work etc, then I may have considered a lorry, but I walk to work, so not so much if an issue....