Help Me decide! Do I want a Cob or a Native

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Since my herd has gone from 3 down to 1 in the last year I'm looking to get a new pony/horse. I had narrowed my criteria down to a Fell or Highland. But then 2 weeks ago the horse I borrowed to keep my last one company arrived. He is a big retired coloured cob who is built like a tank, after nearly 20 years of having 2 welsh ponies and a Shetland his sheer size and bulk came as somewhat of a shock, he makes my welsh ponys legs look like matchsticks. But he is amazing and despite really trying not to get attached to him I absolutely love him. He is so friendly, laid back and gentle, he's just an absolute pleasure to have around. He does anything you ask him to with no fuss even if he's not thrilled about the idea and always makes you feel completely safe with him. He makes life very easy and I just can't help but smile every time I see him.

I think in the last 2 weeks I've been converted but I've never had a handsome fully feathered cob before and I do have some feather related concerns. Are they hard work to look after? I've read a bit about mallanders and sallanders, is this common? Can it be kept under control or is it a losing battle? and does it cause long term issues? Is there anything else I should look out for?

Any pictures of lovely cobs or natives would also be great :)

holeymoley

Visit site
Totally no help at all here but I have a cob x native. He has the general steadiness and temperament of a cob but with a bit of whacko Welsh chucked in there when he sees fit. Overall though he is generally a really nice type that can turn his hooves to anything to a pretty decent standard. You just have to have your wits about you and always been 1 step ahead of him. Or at least the same step!

Re Mallenders he has a little tiny bit behind his front knees, some believe it’s due to what they eat. Mine is IR so has a very strict low sugar and starch organic diet and I think that may be why he hardly has anything. He’s not totally feathered though either, he only grows a little and I trim it off.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
I've got a Fell! I've had her over 20 years. She's sufficiently hairy without being too much! I'm not sure I could cope with full feathers!
Shes certainly a one person pony! View attachment 73782

She looks great! Do her feathers need any maintenance? I'm hoping the answer is no as they manage to live out on the fells with minimal intervention. Fells are still top of my list closely followed by Highlands.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Totally no help at all here but I have a cob x native. He has the general steadiness and temperament of a cob but with a bit of whacko Welsh chucked in there when he sees fit. Overall though he is generally a really nice type that can turn his hooves to anything to a pretty decent standard. You just have to have your wits about you and always been 1 step ahead of him. Or at least the same step!

Re Mallenders he has a little tiny bit behind his front knees, some believe it’s due to what they eat. Mine is IR so has a very strict low sugar and starch organic diet and I think that may be why he hardly has anything. He’s not totally feathered though either, he only grows a little and I trim it off.

My welsh provides enough excitement for me, you always have to be one step ahead of him otherwise you stand a good chance of being many steps behind as he disappears into the distance ? He's lovely when he wants to be, but you always have to be paying attention to stop a random over dramatic reaction to something he's not even scared of he just fancies being an idiot.

The feathers on a cob are my worry, I don't fancy spending all my time either clipping them or washing them and oiling them especially in winter when its dark and cold and wet and my hands are cold.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Ive got cobs and highlands. Id pick the highland everytime!

What is it about the highland that beats the cob?

I love my borrowed cob because he's so sweet and just an all round saint but then I loved my shetland and welshes for their character building qualities and their good natured cheekiness and intelligence.
Maybe if I got a native and kept borrowed cob as long as his Mum wants me to have him and then I'd have the best of both worlds!

I'm Dun

Visit site
The highland is more athletic partly, but also easier to keep. Every cob I have ever had or owned ends up with leg mites and a constant battle to eradicate them. And its just too much hair to be practical for me. The highland is beautiful with just the right about of hair without it sprouting everywhere!

smiggy

Visit site
I have a cob and a fell. Both lovely but the fell is so much easier to keep clean, especially in the winter. Quick wash and good to go, can even get away with just hosing legs. Cob outings involve multiple baths and blow drying, so if you want to compete ....

millikins

Visit site
I'd always favour a native. Partly because to an extent you know what you're getting, the majority of Fells/Highlands etc. will have a similar temperament and capacity to do the job you want in the same way that you would choose a pedigree dog over a mongrel if it needed to fill a particular role But they are harder to source and there are many perfectly lovely cobs out there as your loan one is.

Surbie

Visit site
I have a semi-hairy mixed-origin coblet. He's got something with more silky hair in the mix. Although his tail is coarse and his mane Kevin Keegan-esque, his feathers are fine, more like a Fell's, and his coat is very soft. He's never had mites.

He gets a touch of keratin/grease build up on his fetlocks if his skin gets dry, and he has sweetitch. Both aren't extreme cases and are manageable but I wouldn't call him very low maintenance. Watching his weight is a constant in sunmer. So he has teeeny tiny low sugar/starch feeds which is at least one area that's cheap! I get through a fair amount of pig oil to keep his feathers in good nick in winter but it's easy to apply with a sauce bottle.

His temperament on the ground is superb. He loves kids and is very gentle.

20210613_222559.jpg

FB_IMG_1614485031024.jpg

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a cob. I allow his mane and tail full range of harness, but clip the legs to keep his skin in good condition.

In winter this had to be twice a week clipped, twice a day pig oil to keep it in top order.

This summer it has been once a week clip and once a day pig oil.

I tried all sorts of different management regimes, but this means no scabs.

I can't help with a native.

Visit site
I have a Dales x cob, best of both worlds! I can highly recommend both Dales and cobs. You don’t have to go for a traditional cob, my previous mare was a cob x and had just a small amount of feather.

This is my current mare. 84587489-79A9-4161-BAE5-0D0F0E025EC8.jpeg
Her feather does need maintenance, she came to me bog burnt and with a heavy infestation of mites, we have tried everything and eventually have almost got on top of it by taking her feather off her hind legs (looks a bit odd currently but is making it so much easier), I couldn’t bring myself to whip off her front feather as it’s so lush. It’s just one of those things with hairies, you have to put in the maintenance but it’s worth it for me.

meleeka

Visit site
I have a cob. His feathers are maintenance free! He’s mainly black with white feathers so he’s not difficult to keep clean. I do remember being quite shocked by the amount of hair he has when I got him, but these days I clip him at the end of the winter which makes things easier. I also trim his beard because that gets long too and makes him look plain, which he isn’t. His feathers are amazing. if you part the hair, even in the depths of winter, the hair next to his skin is pure white and bone dry.

I love the laid back nature of cobs. Mine would do anything for food, but there’s never any drama with him although he has oodles of personality.

BallyRoanBaubles

Visit site
My fell is so easy to keep, aside from making sure he doesn't get to fat! Which he hasnt done and he isnt but I'm just super aware of it after having tb types for years. This probably goes for natives and cobs but mine is happily barefoot, doesnt need a feed or rugging, and could happily live out all year round.

My fells field mate is a traditional cob and he is super, but a lot more effort to keep clean for showing etc.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a soft spot for natives but tbh the most important thing is that the horse will do the job you want it to do .
I have a cob now and had one in the past both where fully feathered in their previous homes both arrived with chronic skin problems .
I close clip Blue ( the one I have atm ) all year round he's a much happier horse without the hair .
Try to keep focused on the job the horse is for.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've got a Fell! I've had her over 20 years. She's sufficiently hairy without being too much! I'm not sure I could cope with full feathers!
Shes certainly a one person pony! View attachment 73782

That wall around your grazing is awesome, ours are drystone, not cemented.

I had a fully feathered cob and never touched his legs and never had a single issue in 4 years I owned him.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
That wall around your grazing is awesome, ours are drystone, not cemented.

I think it's like that because the main road is there, probably level with the top of the wall!

Her feathers don't take masses of care. She wintered in a field with very little mud this year so they look better!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I have a Dales x cob, best of both worlds! I can highly recommend both Dales and cobs. You don’t have to go for a traditional cob, my previous mare was a cob x and had just a small amount of feather.

This is my current mare. View attachment 73786
Her feather does need maintenance, she came to me bog burnt and with a heavy infestation of mites, we have tried everything and eventually have almost got on top of it by taking her feather off her hind legs (looks a bit odd currently but is making it so much easier), I couldn’t bring myself to whip off her front feather as it’s so lush. It’s just one of those things with hairies, you have to put in the maintenance but it’s worth it for me.

She's beautiful!

atropa

Visit site
I have a Highland and as much as I love her (mostly), if she was the only example of the breed I had met I don't think I'd recommend them to others.

She's not particularly willing, she's incredibly nappy, doesn't think twice about rearing and bucking, is easily stressed which results in bolshiness, I obsess over her weight and exercise, she doesn't appear to have naturally good feet....but having said that she's not spooky, is fun to ride on her good days, decently athletic for a native, and I have come to realise that she easily loads onto the trailer for me but not for my partner, so we must be getting there slightly.

I have only had her for two years, bought as a 10 year old so not sure if a lot of her behaviour could have been exacerbated by how she was brought up in her formative years. We've also had a year of very stop start work due to Covid and veterinary issues which hasn't helped.
But yes, whenever I read threads like this with people waxing lyrical about how amazing and easy and genuine their natives are and how they would trust them with their four month old baby, I do wonder what I've bought ?
I've ridden various Highlands previously and IME they tend to fall into one of two general categories...those similar to my mare with a bit more go about them, and those quieter, ploddier types.

PSD

Visit site
Fells are great, however mine is a trouble maker. But she is so placid, just super clever and mischievous.

I find as long as I keep her brain busy she is happy, winter was a challenge as she prefers to live out but my livery doesn’t allow that in winter so she did become a handful. However, she is young too so that doesn’t help!

She’s opinionated and sooooo stubborn but she is a little love, apart from when she’s breaking rugs. She’s cheap and easy to keep, I bought her to show but I’ll be having her as a hacking pony now. She loves exploring in hand, loves to learn and has a fabulous little character. I can’t wait to ride her, though it probably won’t be this year - these breeds take time to mature physically as well as mentally and she is only 3.
2B40CFF3-6EF1-477E-BED1-2DB5269A81D7.jpeg09E7649E-1D0A-4EC3-8214-849617308AF8.jpeg81D453FE-AF26-4AFD-B85F-FE1DBE1E014D.jpeg

RHM

Visit site
Depends completely on what your after. I have a fell and he is the most amazing little character! Safest thing I’ve sat on in traffic but can often be nappy and opinionated. He makes me laugh every day! I’ve given tiny tots lessons on him and complete novice friends and he is so happy looking after people.
He is very cheap to keep in the sense of no shoes minimal feed etc
My friend has what can only be described as a “Super Cob” he turns his hoof to everything and is very willing. He could just do with being a tiny bit more athletic in the jumping dept.
One thing to look out for though is CPL in cobs, it is apparently quite common in the ones bred to have lots of fluff.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Everyone's horses are stunning! I think I will keep cobs on the list but maybe a slightly less feathered one!

I have a soft spot for natives but tbh the most important thing is that the horse will do the job you want it to do .
I have a cob now and had one in the past both where fully feathered in their previous homes both arrived with chronic skin problems .
I close clip Blue ( the one I have atm ) all year round he's a much happier horse without the hair .
Try to keep focused on the job the horse is for.

I think a native or a cob would be good for the job I want them to do. I want them to be able to hack alone and be happy to have a go at various things, I basically want something to have fun on and that has character and is good to have around, and will fit in with my existing fatty native set up, having ponies with opposing needs would just be a pain.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
Gently pushes Highlands to the bottom of the wish list ?

I have a Highland and as much as I love her (mostly), if she was the only example of the breed I had met I don't think I'd recommend them to others.

She's not particularly willing, she's incredibly nappy, doesn't think twice about rearing and bucking, is easily stressed which results in bolshiness, I obsess over her weight and exercise, she doesn't appear to have naturally good feet....but having said that she's not spooky, is fun to ride on her good days, decently athletic for a native, and I have come to realise that she easily loads onto the trailer for me but not for my partner, so we must be getting there slightly.

I have only had her for two years, bought as a 10 year old so not sure if a lot of her behaviour could have been exacerbated by how she was brought up in her formative years. We've also had a year of very stop start work due to Covid and veterinary issues which hasn't helped.
But yes, whenever I read threads like this with people waxing lyrical about how amazing and easy and genuine their natives are and how they would trust them with their four month old baby, I do wonder what I've bought ?
I've ridden various Highlands previously and IME they tend to fall into one of two general categories...those similar to my mare with a bit more go about them, and those quieter, ploddier types.

She looks amazing and sounds great fun, this is what I'm looking for even with the destroyed rugs ? Fells are sounding better the more I hear about them!
Fells are great, however mine is a trouble maker. But she is so placid, just super clever and mischievous.

I find as long as I keep her brain busy she is happy, winter was a challenge as she prefers to live out but my livery doesn’t allow that in winter so she did become a handful. However, she is young too so that doesn’t help!

She’s opinionated and sooooo stubborn but she is a little love, apart from when she’s breaking rugs. She’s cheap and easy to keep, I bought her to show but I’ll be having her as a hacking pony now. She loves exploring in hand, loves to learn and has a fabulous little character. I can’t wait to ride her, though it probably won’t be this year - these breeds take time to mature physically as well as mentally and she is only 3.
View attachment 73792View attachment 73793View attachment 73794

Tarragon

Visit site
Personally, I think I would go for a registered native. It supports the breed, and, depending on what you do, it can promote the breed, and you have the option of showing if you want. I love playing "spot the native" when on an EGB ride; they can be so distinctive! And it absolutely makes my day if someone stops and asks me "Is that an Exmoor?" or says "I love to see an Exmoor!"

PSD

Visit site
Byebeck stud are doing a dispersal sale in July so you could land lucky and get a lovely fell from them.

As much as I wonder why I got a fell, I love her to bits. They’re also very versatile