Help me find this product?

rachk89

Visit site
I need help finding this product. May not exist, may not help, but I want to try it if it exists.

Been told about this hood that showjumpers are putting on fiesty/anxious horses now that comes down under their head like the throatlash and over their ears but not far down the head. Can't find anything about it so not sure if it does exist unfortunately. It apparently for some reason makes them less anxious but they don't know why.

Just hoping it might help my horse as literally nothing else has. He's not in pain anymore, no health issues, regular physio, saddle fits, no hoof issues, had natural horsemanship training, other riders. Nothing helps, he's worse with better riders actually. Just hoping if this can be found that it might help chill him out and I'm out of options other than put up with it. Which is a shame as unless he can focus he can't do a job. He can't hack because he's dangerous. Just hoping if I find this he can actually hack, he can school properly, maybe not compete as dunno if it's legal for dressage but at least be happy.

Hope someone finds it.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
It can't be the first one as that wouldn't be legal to jump in?

Depends, I don't know anything about this product but the Guardian mask can be jumped in and is as far as i am aware legal but then I don't know any eventers who has horses who need them. I have jumped in it https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=j...hUDIcAKHRi3BEAQ9QEILjAC#imgrc=sns8STtNojgWRM:

For racing I don't see the issue with it OP

Why don't you get one of these, as much simpler
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zilco-Rac...hash=item2a7dcb3822:m:miKIthz37yKTPg-t5yZapsQ

or http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-Raci...572501?hash=item58d57898d5:g:SXQAAOSwJb9WtBqp

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Yes I still think it likely there would be too much sticking out given their cut down on big fluff ;), I think it might require a tape measure and I'm not sure they would let the mesh eye go without argument either/medical dispensation either.

I just cant see the zilco one being used by lots of showjumpers, the hidez option seems a lot more likely.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Yes I still think it likely there would be too much sticking out given their cut down on big fluff ;), I think it might require a tape measure and I'm not sure they would let the mesh eye go without argument either/medical dispensation either.

I just cant see the zilco one being used by lots of showjumpers, the hidez option seems a lot more likely.

I had a letter from my vet saying it was important my mare wore it and I carried it round with me to show any organisers and they were ok with it as if the horse has uveitis it needs the brightness removed

Jules19

Visit site
If you look on Gibson Saddlers or Horse Requisites, both in Newmarket, you will find race hoods in both their shops. They are used in racing to just calm anxious horses and can be used to race in if declared. I have no idea of their legality in other disciplines I'm afraid.

rachk89

Visit site
Oh this isn't for racing sorry for the confusion. Definitely not going to race the warmblood/connie. :D

I don't mind if it's not legal for competitions, we may just have to go with that he can't be competed. I just want him to be less stressy about life and be able to go for a hack without thinking every leaf will kill him.

SEL

Visit site
Do racehoods work by just knocking out the sound?

The one with the blinkers is interesting. Is that what you're looking at rachk89? I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

rachk89

Visit site
Do racehoods work by just knocking out the sound?

The one with the blinkers is interesting. Is that what you're looking at rachk89? I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

I'll let you know how I get on no matter what I choose. :)

ester

Visit site
I didn't think you did want it for competitions, just thought that if it had been suggested to you as 'lots of showjumpers using it' to try and find the right one it would likely be legal.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Oh this isn't for racing sorry for the confusion. Definitely not going to race the warmblood/connie. :D

I don't mind if it's not legal for competitions, we may just have to go with that he can't be competed. I just want him to be less stressy about life and be able to go for a hack without thinking every leaf will kill him.

I know it is not for racing, I never used mine for racing. I had a hood blinker like the one I posted, but my first mare had them for hacking as she was always looking for things to spook at, and my second mare had them when clipping as it stopped the hair going in her eyes, i was thinking more that you said the horse was stressing so blinkers may help him focus on what is going on ahead and not to the side.

huskydamage

Visit site
Sorry random question, but would this kind of thing be good to protect horse's eye from the wind? Eye has scar from ulcer and cataract forming v sensitive in wind and runs. Has anyone used something like this for that with any sucess?

rachk89

Visit site
I know it is not for racing, I never used mine for racing. I had a hood blinker like the one I posted, but my first mare had them for hacking as she was always looking for things to spook at, and my second mare had them when clipping as it stopped the hair going in her eyes, i was thinking more that you said the horse was stressing so blinkers may help him focus on what is going on ahead and not to the side.

He spooks at stuff from all directions unfortunately. He spooked at his own shadow the other day and a pole he has walked past 3 times already. Not bad spooks though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry random question, but would this kind of thing be good to protect horse's eye from the wind? Eye has scar from ulcer and cataract forming v sensitive in wind and runs. Has anyone used something like this for that with any sucess?

I was just thinking the first suggestion would be good for eye injuries!

ester

Visit site
I imagine the fine mesh, like the guardian must reduce wind flow

I get Frank's nose covers from here because the UV protection is greater than what is on the UK market easily (other than USA imports)
they make goggles too ;) see first item ;)

https://www.innohorse.de/en/horse/eye-and-nose-protection/

charliesproducts site sells the nags horse ranch stuff which looks good too (well for purpose!) They also make this which comes with different eye cups types
http://www.charliesproducts.co.uk/cashel-fly-masks/502-eye-saver-cup-system-.html

Visit site

My horse used to wear one of these for a bit after an eye injury but they aren't great for long term use as they rub. We ended up padding it with softban before giving up! We duct taped over the injured eye so it was totally dark in there when the horse was outside. Once the eye was healed enough we used a normal UV fly mask.

Is this what you mean OP? The ears are made out of rubber so the horse can't see anything.

http://www.saddlery.biz/ornella-sou...lMaAt4eG4DYYDipgTYUuW6hhDBXJ7yN8aAvKlEALw_wcB

Or what about a set of dead sheep cheek pieces?

http://www.saddlery.biz/zilco-fleece-cheeks-for-bridles?sqr=cheek&

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
He spooks at stuff from all directions unfortunately. He spooked at his own shadow the other day and a pole he has walked past 3 times already. Not bad spooks though.

Have you thought of this, my ID is the queen of spooks my new mare and has been better since on this https://equifeast-shop.com/horse-su...-horses/cool-calm-collected-ultimate-starter/

Cool, Calm & Collected ULTIMATE behavioural supplement helps with:

Spookiness
Anxiety
Overreacting
Stomach acidity control
Hind gut support

Have a read

rachk89

Visit site
My horse used to wear one of these for a bit after an eye injury but they aren't great for long term use as they rub. We ended up padding it with softban before giving up! We duct taped over the injured eye so it was totally dark in there when the horse was outside. Once the eye was healed enough we used a normal UV fly mask.

Is this what you mean OP? The ears are made out of rubber so the horse can't see anything.

http://www.saddlery.biz/ornella-sou...lMaAt4eG4DYYDipgTYUuW6hhDBXJ7yN8aAvKlEALw_wcB

Or what about a set of dead sheep cheek pieces?

http://www.saddlery.biz/zilco-fleece-cheeks-for-bridles?sqr=cheek&

Kind of, it's the right design from what I was told. Taking away his hearing though I think will make him freak out. The only way I can describe him is his instinct button seems to be getting electric shocks all the time, he's way more aware of everything around him and thinks about what might happen than any other horse I've met. I don't really know how to describe him better than that. Have no idea how I will get a mask on his face either to be honest other than quickly.

That might be an idea too Iluvcowparsley thanks. We have had him on a calmer before, did nothing. His new food is' meant' to be a good probiotic so good for his gut but dunno.

Britestar

Visit site

Look at equine sunvisors from the US. The Maxx one dies exactly this. Kept my mate uvetitis free for years ( wind sets get ogf)