Help me plan a holiday with own horse

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Me and a friend are planning to go on a holiday this year with our own horses. Any recommendations? We can go pretty much anywhere but we're both in the middle ish, so don't really want to go tooooo far - so not Scotland or too far down south. We just want hacking, so no arena, x country course needed. Just miles of off road hacking and a nice base. Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.

AFB

Visit site
If you haven't already done it then a beach holiday with them is fantastic - easily done in Lincolnshire or Norfolk.

If it's not too close to home then the peaks has some fantastic hacking.

PaulnasherryRocky

Visit site
I am based in Hertfordshire, and have started to link two holidays together to make one mega holiday -

We start off by going to a lovely lovely B&B in Holme, Norfolk (http://www.homefarmstables.com/) where the grazing is fantastic, lovely stables and about a 5 minute ride from the beach. Angela at the B&B puts on a killer breaky that sets you up for the day, and its such good value.
(If you go there, I recommend their local pub The White Horse for dinner!)

We usually go there for a couple of nights, then on the way back, we stop at Little Lodge Farm in Thetford (http://www.forestlodgeholidays.co.uk/) for a few nights (They have amazzzing log cabins, but they book up so fast we have resorted to camping for £10 per night!)
Grazing isn't as good as Holme, but you can buy hay very cheaply (I think £1 per net?) to put out in their fields (or stables)

That way you get the best of both - a couple of days of galloping on the beach, and then a few days of miles of woodland hacking and swimming on the ponies in the river that runs through Little Lodge...it's just heaven

OWLIE185

Visit site
If you enjoy miles and miles of off road hacking hacking then Mid Wales (Llandewi Breffi) Cambrian Hills is excellent.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Norfolk a bit too far but by googling Cambrian hills, I've come across the equitrekking website, which has lots of good info, so thank you for that suggestion!

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
New forest possibly a bit too far. Cambrian hills looks like it could be perfect though. Would love a beach too though!

Mad_Cow347

Visit site
We start off by going to a lovely lovely B&B in Holme, Norfolk (http://www.homefarmstables.com/) where the grazing is fantastic, lovely stables and about a 5 minute ride from the beach. Angela at the B&B puts on a killer breaky that sets you up for the day, and its such good value.
(If you go there, I recommend their local pub The White Horse for dinner!)

I also came on to recommend Home Farm Stables. We went a few years ago and are keen to go back some time. There’s great hacking as well as beach rides.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Me and a friend are planning to go on a holiday this year with our own horses. Any recommendations? We can go pretty much anywhere but we're both in the middle ish, so don't really want to go tooooo far - so not Scotland or too far down south. We just want hacking, so no arena, x country course needed. Just miles of off road hacking and a nice base. Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions.

New forest - been there a few times and loved it stayed here http://www.hackneypark.co.uk/

supsup

Visit site
My friend and I rode part of the Jack Mytton way in Shropshire two years ago. We actually rode from one B&B to the next, so not stationary in one place. But the hacking was fantastic, and the Shropshire outdoors webpage really good for planning (http://www.shropshiresgreatoutdoors.co.uk/). Riding over the Long Mynd was absolutely fab. We're returning this year to stay at a single place (Tugford Farm) and do rides from there. Don't think they have XC, but we're just going for the hacking. The Long Mynd bridleway association was also really helpful with tips for accommodation.
Anyway, I can highly recommend the area for hacking, though don't have a specific recommendation for accommodation with XC facilities.

VRIN

Visit site
http://www.brandyhousefarm.co.uk/index.php/en/

Brandy house Farm is brilliant . I've stopped there a couple of times with my horse .
They do B&B , pod and camping . The pod is brilliant
You can ride straight out onto the mountains for miles and miles of off road riding. Nice ride to the pub in the next village as well

Looks perfect - it mentions a slope ... is it difficult to access with a 7.5 tonne horsebox?

TRECtastic

Visit site
Looks perfect - it mentions a slope ... is it difficult to access with a 7.5 tonne horsebox?
When I've stopped there people with 7.5t box's have got up the driveway no problem ( I have car & trailer )
It is steep but you can drive straight up it and onto the yard
Medina and Richard are very helpful so you could mention any concerns to them
Last time I stopped there a friends top door came off her trailer , they sorted out getting it fixed locally , nothing was to much trouble to them
The hot tub after a long days riding was fabulous

Orangehorse

Visit site
How fit are your horses and used to hills? I wouldn't take a horse to Wales that isn't used to VERY steep climbs - the locals are used to it and don't think about places that don't have much hill work.

I had a fantastic riding holiday in the Cotswolds which was organised for me by Bridlerides - accommodation and maps and talk rounds of routes, so you know they are open, but I know the company was sold and I don't know if it still operates in the same way. It was along the Windrush Valley, lots and lots of bridlepaths and the local drivers were very polite to riders and we were based at Naunton.

PoppyAnderson

Visit site
Friend lives on long mynd already, so hers are very used to hills! I will get mine fitter beforehand. Am pretty sure we're going to look at Cambrian hills and Brandy House.