Help me shop- new riding hat for showing and dressage in 2016!

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
As above! Was disappointed at YHL this year as all the riding hats seemed to be blingey SJ hats or old standard velvet hats that they were trying to get rid of. I'm going to have to give up my beloved Fiona come January because of the new standard and my OH said he would get me a new riding hat for xmas so I need to shop :D

I like the Charles Owen H2000sq but they don't seem to make it anymore?

Need black velvet, no bling with tan leather harness :D Picky much? :)

DD265

Visit site
I think the H2000sq just was only really popular with showing bods because of the price tag when compared to the H2000.

PrettyPonies apparently still have stock and it looks like Le Beau Cheval do as well.

acorn92x

Visit site
I've got a Charles Owen Showjumper XP for showing/dressage too. Broke my heart retiring my Fiona to a life of hacking and schooling at home!

mcnaughty

Visit site
Has anyone actually ever had their hat checked? I mean PC do for my daughter so we are going to have to get a new skull cap for PC events anyway and she is growing fast so no massive issue but showing hats? I have never and nor has my daughter ever had our hats checked .....

conniegirl

Visit site
Depends which showing society you are showing under. Some of them dont require any standards in hats, most showing societies are implementing the new rule in 2017. So you could wait and see what new hats come out next year.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Depends which showing society you are showing under. Some of them dont require any standards in hats, most showing societies are implementing the new rule in 2017. So you could wait and see what new hats come out next year.

Wise and money saving advice. The way the rules have changed and then changed again is baffling at best. Last year we went to various shows that had different rules for hunters.

conniegirl

Visit site
Oh and Navy is correct for a woman in showing, black is for men.

Generaly apart from a few shows if you are riding a horse you dont require a hat of a set standard. Hunters did last season but I believe they reversed the ruling and now you can wear any hat (including a beagler).
BHSA does not require any hat standards (so you can wear a beagler)
CHAPS and BSPA dont require hats of any set standard if you are on a horse (but do for Ponies).

sidesaddlegirl

www.sidesaddlegirl.co.uk
I've never heard that black is only for men and navy for women before! I've always gone on it complementing the rest of your riding outfit. Besides, I have a green side saddle habit (I ride side saddle at all shows whether they are ss shows or not) so navy would look daft with it :D

I can use my Fiona for Side Saddle Association showing but all the RCs I belong too, all have the rule change for January 2016 and they will be checking and putting the tags on the hats :(

I like square peaks but finding a H2000sq is proving difficult. CO hats tend to fit me well too, Gatehouse give me headaches and Champions are hit and miss with fit.

conniegirl

Visit site
You will find that most women who wear green tweeds wear navy hats (or very faded, grey ish hats that were originally navy) unless they are on m&ms where you sometimes see green hats.

I have a green tweed jacket and would never put a black hat with it

It is just not correct for a woman to wear a black hat and you won't see it at higher level shows

conniegirl

Visit site
It is still green!
Sidesaddle is all about tradition and I believe there are some marks for turnout? If so do you really want to be losing marks straight away?

navy is correct, if you want to go with black go for it but know that it isn't correct and there is a reason the black showing hats are always in the sales!