Help me think through Max options!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
So good and not so good news..... Rehab livery folk were very happy with him and he did a week of canter work with them and then he left there 'sound and ready to go on' . But my own vet has reviewed him and says he is not 100% level. But then that might just be him. He is happy in his work - but there is still a slight question mark over his soundness which makes me unwilling to sell on. So plan is to treat him like a normal pony for another month - w/t/c and jump. If he stays happy, loan or LWVTB. That means if he starts refusing fences again or misbehaving I can have him back rather than leave him to an uncertain future.

It is all a bit frustrating though as there are still no clear answers and never have been. He has seen 4 (!) vets now. 2 declared him sound and 2 unsound. Rehab folk had no worries about him but current vet isn't sure. Diagnostics found no pathology but just a hot spot - which could be caused by anything. So I am in limbo for now really. I think I will ask one of the osteos people recommended when I was worried about Ginny to come and see him. They might be good with a niggling, subtle 'not-quite-right-but-maybe-we-are-all-imagining-it' issue. Has anyone else ever felt that you are only finding things for looking and chasing shadows once you get vets and vet hospitals involved?

In the end I hope I can find a fab loan home for him! Who then keep him forever!! If anyone knows anyone looking to loan a fun, forward, talented 14.2 sports pony with beautiful paces, a scopey jump and manners to burn then let me know!

zaminda

Visit site
What a shame AE. He sounds like such a lovely pony. I take it the girls aren't wanting him as they both have rides and are growing from your pictures! Fingers crossed you find him a lovely home. I'm sure you will I have two with serious question marks over soundness but they both do a job when they are right and sometimes it takes a lot of patience keeping them sound!

ihatework

Visit site
I’d say the good thing about this is you know his behaviour patterns when he isn’t right - it’s more tricky when they are ultra stoic and don’t let you know.

I can be a little bit blasé about this but there are very few truly sound horses (or people for that matter) out there. This doesn’t mean he can’t do a very useful job or is unsellable. But I also quite agree with your desire to be sure and to place him well.

Twice I have done LWVTB in this type of situation. Both purchased the horses after 3-6 months. Both horses stayed in those homes. Neither horse was truly sound but rather sound for purpose.

SEL

Visit site
I've got a 'not right but we don't know what's wrong' in the field - hugely frustrating!

I'm actually having a massive confidence crisis as a result. I want to buy or loan something that I can actually ride, but keeping waking up at 3am stressing about buying a horse only for it to go lame on me. Never had a horse with so many issues.

I think loaning out Max is an excellent idea. Then you'll know he can come home if the 'not quite right' really does turn into something more serious.

SEL

Visit site
Where is Tom Beech based? I can't find an address on his website.
Travels around. If you email then he'll pop you on his list and let you know if he's in the area.

I've had him out and although he gave the most thorough exam of my mare of any vet, his prognosis was still 'guarded'. None of his obvious go-to issues (such as ovaries) were a problem with mine.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Dr Angela Holland.

I've recommended her to you before, and she's very likely more local to you than LW's suggestions.

https://www.equineveterinarywellnessclinic.co.uk/

Thanks that's about 1 hr 30 away. So not too bad.

Both websites look really good. Max seems happy and relaxed so he is a different kettle of fish to Ginny who radiated unhappiness and stress. So I would think there should be some way of just levelling him up a bit? That kind of thing seems right up an osteo's street!

scats

Visit site

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Why did the vet review him? Is there a problem since he returned, if not stop looking for them. Unlevel doesn't have to be unsound as in lame.
If just started canter work I would be thinking tight muscles that could be making him look unlevel.

I am slightly of the opinion that if you search hard and long enough you will find issues with every horse on the planet, horses are not symmetrical and unlevel doesn't have to mean lame. It might be normal for them. It might be that a competiton home isn't suited if very unlevel as the dressage scores will reflect this.

A little puzzled why rehab didn't pick up that's he's unlevel though.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
The vet reviewed him because that was always my plan before putting him back up for sale. To protect both him and buyers. If he was just coming home I would not have bothered and would be cracking on with him now.

But I've had a long chat with the vet and am clearer now that he is functionally sound - and no more unlevel than half the horses in a collecting ring! But the vet can see he is not 100% and it's his job to point that out. The key question is what level of work will he be happy with and the only way to find that out is to work him and let him tell us. He is not stoic so at least we know he will let us know. So I am reintroducing jumping now and will offer him up for Loan/LWVTB if he jumps without complaint as discussed above.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
ETA rehab did see he was unlevel but said just tight/stiff and not of concern. He was sound, improving all the time and looked 'good'. Vet says he does not differentiate between 'unlevel and 'lame'. I'm no expert so I just rely on what I'm told. One of the most frustrating things about this whole saga is the different opinions I keep getting and trying to work out what to do for the best! But I agree I need to stop looking for problems now and just crack on and see what happens.

Difference between vets and NHS ... NHS always tell you there is not much wrong unless your keg is falling off and vets are the opposite! I am a damn sight more lame than Max!!!

Bernster

Visit site
He’s lucky to have such a conscientious owner. I hope it pays off for you in finding him a good home who will take care of him as well as you seem to be doing.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
ETA rehab did see he was unlevel but said just tight/stiff and not of concern. He was sound, improving all the time and looked 'good'. Vet says he does not differentiate between 'unlevel and 'lame'. I'm no expert so I just rely on what I'm told. One of the most frustrating things about this whole saga is the different opinions I keep getting and trying to work out what to do for the best! But I agree I need to stop looking for problems now and just crack on and see what happens.

Difference between vets and NHS ... NHS always tell you there is not much wrong unless your keg is falling off and vets are the opposite! I am a damn sight more lame than Max!!!
Bit like my attitude to myself, if I am unconscious there is a problem, if not I am fine. :D

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
He had plenty of physio/massage at rehab livery and felt very good apparently. According to rehab folk it was about correct work now to continue his progress. Which we are doing. My own equine physio sees all of mine every few weeks to make sure nothing is developing so he'll get a once over from her soon too.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
No happy ending for me and Max :(

He has been fine back in work since Feb so I had found him a hacking/low level schooling LWVTB home - loan contract was till October after which he would be sold. Woman who had him was totally smitten and he appeared sound. So all looking very positive. But over the space of 3 days he went from a small nap (day 1), to a small rear (day 2). On day 3 YO/RI got on as loaner was getting nervous and he instantly went up and over. So he has been retired. I won't ever put anyone on him again. He's only 8. Now looking for a long term companion loan home for him. I can't keep into winter as I have no stable for him and he can't live out where we are so as a last resort he will be PTS when they have to come in in late Autumn. Hope it does not come to that. He's very easy in all ways - just can't be ridden. And people do sometimes want non ridden companions - especially young, healthy ones who don't cost much to keep. So fingers crossed.

scats

Visit site
Oh AE, I’m really gutted to hear this. You have put so much into Max and tried your best for him. Sometimes there are horses that we just can’t fix, no matter what we try.

Big hugs xx

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Did you send him off with his saddle?
Do you think it's genuine or a way to return because you would have disclosed his history/a quick Google would show you discussing things.

The skeptic in me wouldn't trust a loan home not to try and ride him.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
He stayed on my yard on full loan and he was on loan with full disclosure anyway. I spoke to the YO/RI after the major rearing episode. She is a former international rider and brave as a lion. She said she would never get on him again. So all definitely true.

The issue of a loan home trying to ride him does worry me though. But if I say he is a dangerous rearer then would anyone really try? I wonl't ever sell to secure his future but I did think loan might be ok. But I am very torn about what to do.

Michen

Visit site
He stayed on my yard on full loan and he was on loan with full disclosure anyway. I spoke to the YO/RI after the major rearing episode. She is a former international rider and brave as a lion. She said she would never get on him again. So all definitely true.

The issue of a loan home trying to ride him does worry me though. But if I say he is a dangerous rearer then would anyone really try? I wonl't ever sell to secure his future but I did think loan might be ok. But I am very torn about what to do.

I would certainly try and find him a loan home but if you can’t find someone suitable or that you trust then rightfully PTS.

He’s lucky to have you in his corner.