Help me to estimate height of baby cobs! Please....

gothdolly

Visit site
Im slowly getting over the death of my mare and am looking at youngstock with a view to buying a nice cobby sort from between 6 months and 2 years old. I have never really been very good at judging the height that horses will make, is there a "formula" to do with length of cannon bone and thickness of bone that you can use for cobs if you measure them at a certain age? I have seen some 2 year olds standing at about 12.2hh that I have been told will make 15 hh and I have to say Im sceptical!! Im looking for a MW- HW cob, to make absolute minmum 14hh if HW preferably more like 15hh MW (or bigger!). When I bought my gelding, he was standing at 14hh at 2 years and only made 14.2hh. But our Cleveland bay x Fell seemed teeeeny tiny at 6months and grew into a huge monster so height prediction is obviously not my forte!
wink.gif

With the youngstock I am looking at they seem to have been bought as a "job lot" at auction and its not possible to view the dam or sire.

Im vaguely aware there are cannon bone measurements you can take to predict the height of TBs but Im not sure if it would work with cobs…

Thanks if anyone can help me!

Cassandra xx

Lyndz

www.telfordwado-ryukarateclub.co.uk
Try measuring from the elbow point to mid way down the fetlock joint and turn it round to the withers, However many inches there are, will be how much it has to grow. I've tried it on a couple at our yard, it seems to work! Good luck, it may be difficult getting a tape to a baby tho!

sarahHugo

Visit site
I would be interested to know.
I have a warmblood type rising three who currently stands just under 16.1 (but very narrow). Family tree, back to grandparents etc are all 16.2h - so that's what a figured she'd make.

I have been advised of the string test. You measure from middle of the knee to the coronet and inches are final height?
I did this with my 16.2 14 year old gelding and my filly and cannon bones are the same?

Apparently you can do it on any age of horse?

Would be interested to know whether anybody has any opinions on the accuracy of this? I am a bit dubious!!
confused.gif

natalia

Visit site
the method spikey mare as put works 100%, although remember with wobs at adult height and weight sometimes its seem to short as they carry alot of weight round their shoulders, but on a fit, correctly muscled horse it will always work.
A 12.2hh at 2 yrs WILL NOT make 15hh!

LCobby

Visit site
Our yearling was 13.3 and had 9 inches of bone
At 2 1/2 she was 14.2 Now rising 3 and she is almost 14.3.
Length of leg , fetlock to elbow at 2 1/2 is same as our 15.1 fully grown cob. So we expect mature height of 15 hh - 15.1
Cannon bone .knee - just over 15 inches

As 15h cobs are the most popular, a lot of sellers will say
'to make 15 hands'