Help me understand!

Evie91

Visit site
Acquired a second dog in late June, neglected, all bones sticking out and had been mainly kept in a cupboard prior to coming to us (rspca had visited the previous owner twice).

Has turned into a smashing dog. However, came home tonight (after almost three hours out) and dog has wee’d on my side of the bed, huge wee!

Dog had company most of the day, two long walks, tea as usual and toilet break last minute before I went out. She was left with my collie dog, with lots of toys. We have to shut the kitchen as she’s food obsessed and would help herself if opportunity presents. The dogs sleep in our bedroom and have their own beds, they can get on our bed. She had toys, company, water, tv on and lights on. She has been left before. Greeted me at the door as usual.
She has been left several times with no trouble. Last time there was an issue was September when I returned home, after two hours and she'd chewed my shoe!

Any ideas why she might have done this- wee’d on the bed? Something I really would like to avoid again! Probably did the wrong thing as after stripping the bed etc, gave dogs a treat as collie dog wouldn’t settle as he knows they get a treat when I come home, as she’s previously been starved I didn’t feel I could give him one and not her. He did nothing ‘wrong’ either, so they both got one.
Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Firstly, it was far too long after the incident for you to not give her a treat, it would have meant absolutely nothing to her.

It is a manifestation of a kind of separation anxiety when they wee on something of yours, or chew it, while you are out I must admit, I don't understand why you would let the dogs have access to your bedroom, when you are not even there but that's probably just me Ours are not allowed upstairs.

As you can't leave the dog in the kitchen, I can only suggest the Feliway type plug-ins to see if that will help her settle. Perhaps you need to build up gradually the length of time that she is left for, as on both occasions when there has been a problem, the dogs have been left for longer than usual (if I understood that right).

Esmae

Visit site
Was she awake? My whippet bitch, who is almost 15 sometimes wees in her sleep. Poor little girl gets very upset when she wakes up all wet. If that is the case then there is something you can give her from the vet to help that. I forget what it's called now as our dog has gone from frequent to rare occasions.

Evie91

Visit site
Thanks for the reply- we only have a small, upside down cottage, so easier to leave in the bedroom and hall, stairs and landing. Sorry didn’t make myself clear, she has been left for longer previously with no issues, last being in September when she ate my shoe! Collie dog used to have run of the house but always would go to his bed (In our bedroom) if we go out for the evening, so thought she would do the same.
You are right she is anxiòus. Didn’t realise seeing or chewing on something of mine was connected, makes sense as she likes to be with me. Feliway sounds like a good plan.
Usual routine is dogs go outside for the morning (with heat kennels, toys, music),dog walker comes at lunch and they are in the house for the afternoon. Walked by whoever gets home first. Sometimes husband or I work from home. I’ve been around a lot more over the past few weeks as recovering from op, so she has got used to me being at home more. Just seems weird that sometimes there are no issues when left.

bonny

Visit site
I think I would just hope it’s a one off, give her the benefit of the doubt and put it down to her needing out. I wouldn’t over think the bed question unless it happens again

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
She's anxious and is finding something that smells of you to protest on/with. I would shut the dogs out of the bedroom whilst you are out, put the beds in the hall and give her something that smells of you in her bed.

Esmae

Visit site
She is around 18 months we think. She ‘should’ have been asleep as had a busy day! Could have been caught short I guess, but why the bed?!

Well if she was fast asleep then she wouldn't have realised she was doing that on your bed. Our little dog got so upset she was trying to wash the bed cover bless her. Would have a check up at the vet I think. Hope she's okay.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I second the vet check in case of a UTI. My male GSD has one flaw. If he really needs to poop and I'm not home he'll poop on my bed. It happens so rarely that I used to forget to block off the bedroom. Now I block the doorway in a manner that the cat can still get in the room. Maybe you can figure out a way to keep the collie in and the new dog out.

honetpot

Visit site
Separation anxiety. I had a rescue collie, I worked nights, the husband days, so the longest she was ever left was half an hour, and in that time she would chew, pee or poo. She once pooed in the bath. We were doing up the house, so it was bare floor boards, the last room had an old bed in it and she dug a hole in the matresss, right in the middle. She would only chew one shoe, so I had a few pairs that were no longer a pair.
If you are out you have no idea what could have set it off, our current dog reacts to any noise, planes, shooting, any one shouting and will go and hide beside the bed.
I would create a safe place, and work on routine, she used to have a very long walk in the morning with the horse. The collie I had it took about a year, for her to stop chewing and pooing, but she was house trained and if you were with her she would never do it in the house.

Evie91

Visit site
collie is old and arthritic. He needs assistance to get on the bed. Bought him some steps but he refuses to use them! So I know it’s not him.
Booked her in with vet for tomorrow- now have the task of getting a wee sample. As mean as it sounds hoping it’s a UTI.
Dog walker today said she went for four wee’s in an hour, which she felt was a lot for her.
she does get anxious but has been left for longer periods prior to this, weeing on the bed is a new behaviour- whereas we know she is chewing obsessed! Will bare in mind advice around separation anxiety, don’t want to shut her in or crate her as she was locked in a cupboard (understairs) previously. Will leave her with something of mine in her bed in future and try the feliway.

Evie91

Visit site
Collie has always been good as gold in the house. Could do but the area is very small. Collie has always used the bedroom as his safe space- too many visitors he goes to bed, thunder storm or shooting the same. He has bed in living room too but would never stay in there if I’m not there. So don’t really want to upset him but may be the lesser of two evils!

Evie91

Visit site
Been to vets - no UTI. Vet advise vet much same as here- hoping it’s a one off but other things to try if not!
Thanks to all who have taken then time to respond.

Leo Walker

Visit site
It does sound like a separation thing but I wouldn't let the most reliable well trained dog access to my bedroom while I was out, can't you leave the dog beds in the hallway and shut the bedroom door, at least it's just floor to get wee on.

There would be a mutiny if I locked mine out! They are fine being left though. Lola has had 2 accidents since I've had her, and both times its been on the bed while we are in. We just quietly clean it up with no fuss and don't worry about it. I guess its different in our situation as shes not been here long, so we just accept its part of the settling in process.

Evie91

Visit site
We’ve had her since mid June and she hasn’t messed in the house in that time. She had one accident when she was literally caught short going down the stairs, the poop was on its way out as she made her way to the door to go out! For the moment I’ve just put it down to one of those things. Old dog has always had whole access to our small house whilst we’re out. New dog I’ve had to shut the kitchen, so going it is a one off- as would prefer not to shut off areas of the house if I don’t have to. Dog seen by vet, duvet at laundrette, mattress protector and all bedding washed - no harm done.

Widgeon

Visit site
Our dog (with us from a puppy, is now three, no trauma in his life beyond inadequate application of treats on our part!) had a very short phase a year or so ago where he decided that if he fancied a wee in the night, he'd just pop off the bed and wee on the carpet (he sleeps on our bed). The first night, I saw the wet patch in the morning and thought I must have spilt my glass of water. Second night, I was more suspicious. The third night, I woke up around 2am and heard tinkling....sat up and there he was, widdling away! He was hauled out of the room by the scruff of his neck and deposited in the garden (he is a terrier and if you want to make a point, it must be made firmly).

Anyway, the point is, I have no idea what inspired his brainwave and he never ever did it again. So perhaps yours is also a one off. I would also shut them out of the bedroom for a while to stop her making it a habit - can you set up a crate den or similar in the hall for the collie if he needs somewhere to hide out?

Good luck, if only they could tell us what the problem is! You may not need to overthink it, I hope it's resolved soon.

Evie91

Visit site
Went out last night for same amount of time and all fine! Remembered that prior to going out on Tuesday we had walked around wood, ponds etc and she insists on going in every pond, lake, puddle having a splash and drink so perhaps she just ingested too much water- then again I’ll never know!