Help me with preparation for a show!

MyDappledConnemara

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have my first show with my new horse on Sunday, and I need help to decide what I should do on the morning of the show. It is only an unaffiliated competition but I am still going to plait etc but I need advice on what to do so I know what time I need to be at the yard. I would really appreciate help as Google has failed me!

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
I often write myself a little timetable going backwards.

ie 10am - class starts
9am arrive at show (if like me you need time to warm up, collect your number and gather your thoughts)
8.30am leave home to drive to show
8-8.30am - get box and stuff ready (if you have not done it night before)
8am finish plaiting
7.30 start plaiting
7am - get horse for field and groom

Would that sort of thing help?

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
That's ok. Glad to help.

Depending on your circumstances you might be able to do a lot the night before - clean tack, load box/car, get your stuff ready by the front door, clean your boots and that sort of thing. Some people plait the night before, but I don't trust any of our ponies.

When we are going to a big show we have a checklist too, its easy to forget things.

Have fun!

Bernster

Visit site
Great tips above, both of them. I do the same counting backwards and round up yet I still tend to be rushing at the end!

CalamityJ

Visit site
I find a checklist invaluable, especially when taking more than one horse. Also the more you can do the day before the better. I was once given a great piece of advice about allowing enough time on the morning of the show - decided how much time you need then add on half an hour for the unexpected to happen! If you don't need it you can always have an extra cup of tea!