Help me with terminology! Term for accepting standard practice as good or normal??

soloequestrian

Visit site
For instance people who work with commercial pigs are so used to tail docking that it is regarded as normal; people in the horse industry often regard shoeing as normal; people who have certain breeds of dog may regard tail docking as normal for them too.... what's the term for this?? I saw a really nice talk on it a few years ago and the presenter had a neat term to sum it up and of course I thought 'that's so good I'll definitely remember it' and now can't remember it. Google is not being helpful. Some sort of unconscious bias maybe? But that doesn't seem quite right. Some sort of 'blindness' i.e. not seeing that something might be a problem simply because it's so common. Not even sure I've explained that very well argh.

Can anyone help?!

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks, those are both applicable, but not what I'm after. It was a more specific term. 'Normalised' would do the job. As you say, I think cognitive dissonance is more about believing one thing and doing another, like saying you object to killing animals but eating meat...

soloequestrian

Visit site
Or maybe that's hypocrisy... just looked up cog dis: Cognitive dissonance is the unpleasant mental state that may result if someone really does have certain beliefs but thinks or acts in a way that contradicts them.

mairiwick

Visit site
Or maybe that's hypocrisy... just looked up cog dis: Cognitive dissonance is the unpleasant mental state that may result if someone really does have certain beliefs but thinks or acts in a way that contradicts them.

I think the example I saw was a smoker knows smoking can cause serious health issues but continue to smoke regardless.. although I'm not convinced that's the best example either.. (but 2 glasses of prosecco on a Sunday eve.. what do I know?! ? )

soloequestrian

Visit site
Accepted practice?
Yes, but the term describes not questioning that normal practice because it's so normal to you that you don't think anything else is possible, but if someone from outside the industry sees it or has it described to them it seems very strange e.g. we chop all the tails off piglets soon after they are born; we nail bits of metal to our beloved animals feet etc.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It's certainly how I would use normalised but the dictionary definition of normalised doesn't quite match that usage. So I think there might be another word for it. However no synonyms for normalised are jumping out.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Just found the phrase 'the banality of the everyday' which is kind of what I'm after but I don't think it was the term I'm trying to think of.... I'm sure that was just two words.... though with my memory who knows.