Help mounting and exercises to help and gain strength for this.

mandy4727

Visit site
I have had horses for over 38 years so not a complete novice and competed for many a year over that period of time in showing (mostly) wh, gymkhanas, handy pony and hacking. In 2011 I had a big heart attack and brain injury and it was touch and go I would still be hear to by typing this. Anyway I got myself 4 years ago a 3 year old Welsh Section D and backed her. She is only 14.2 so I am not talking about trying to get on a massive horse. But I am really struggling to get on her without some assistance. I would really want to be able to do it myself. I know not ideal to mount her from the ground and have tried to get her to go along side a mounting block but she wont or I cant get her to do that. I was looking if someone could tell me some exercises to help strengthen my "bounce off the ground" to get on her. Or tips to help me get her to sidle up to the block. Been on youtube and cant seem to find much to actually teach them what to do. She threw me off a few months ago when I was trying to get on so I think that is in the back of my mind and not helping much at all. I have had her saddle and back checked so they are all ok.

be positive

Visit site
I would work on getting her to accept standing by a block, start off with someone helping to get her where you want her or use something you can lift and take to somewhere she is relaxed enough to stand while you move it, or your helper moves it, depending on what she does there are numerous ways to overcome her reluctance and long term this will be of benefit to you both.

It helps to practice after exercise when they are relaxed and tired, get off and back on numerous times using the block until she stands quietly, do this frequently with help until you can get the helper to move away, I have one that was not easy to mount and at 16.2 there was no way I could haul myself on a moving target, over a short period of time he got better until he would park by almost anything and stay still until I was on, to me it is part of the backing process to ensure they are happy to be mounted anywhere, if this has been missed out you need to go back and establish it just as you would anything even if it means meeting them halfway, such as moving the block to them or having help, until they understand that they must stand where they are put until told to move off.

If you struggle it may be a good idea to get someone else to be the person getting on until she is better, then you take over once she has got the idea, they often take liberties with the person they know best and are totally different with someone they are less sure of.

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
Not standing at a mounting block is a pretty big hole in training. I second what bepositive says about starting the exercise when she's tired, and maybe also look up youtube videos and how to teach a horse to "ground tie" (basically good starting point to teach any horse to stand still where they are put)

PorkChop

Visit site
You could start with a moveable mounting block so that you can circle her around it. It will just take time and patience, break down each part of mounting and don't move on until she stands.

D66

Visit site
Put the mounting block about a metre away from a corner of the field or barn, then put the horse in the gap facing the fence. You can also put a head collar on under the bridle and use a halter rope to loop round the fence rail. Then get on. :) Let the horse stand there while you feed a treat, adjust your stirrups, put your gloves on, etc.

If she won't go near the mounting block I'd start off with getting her in position with the block as close as you can get it, fiddle with saddle, lean over her , etc, and gradually get it in closer over a few days.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I broke my left leg a few years ago and can no longer mount from the ground. All mine will stand forever for mounting from whatever object I choose, but that's because I train them from the very beginning to stand tied while mounting and dismounting. I use a running line to start with, but it is also useful to teach them to wait until I lean forwards to unclip the rope.

ironhorse

Visit site
Google Guy Robertson - he has done a You Tube video about how to get the horse to move towards the mounting block and then stand still.
Don't be put off by his cowboy outfit, he's a very good horseman!
He recently started my friend's horse - the horse needed to be bombproof as she is in recovery from cancer, and he has given the horse so much quiet confidence, it's lovely to see.

mandy4727

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice and pointers folks. I have been thinking before of wedging a mounting block between her and the school fence so she cant move either side cos of school fence and me and cant move forward due to the other fence. But my worry was if she rears or bucks me off at that stage I will be injured hitting the fence hard. But probably just worrying about nothing and the chance of that happening is few and far between and is more likely to block her in all directions apart for backwards. I can try that and just praise her loads and even if a just get her in that position and get my foot in the stirrup and mount up standing in the stirrup and not swinging leg over initially. Keep doing that several times with praise and a treat with no riding. She should soon get used to standing at the side of a mounting block in the right place and if I use commands in getting her into position. Fingers crossed eh? I will keep you all updated. And thanks all again folks.