Help.......Mouth Keeps "tearing" not heavy handed....

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
My friend has a little tb mare who showjumps beautifully.

She is quite hot headed (mare this is rather than the friend!) and goes in a 3 ring gag snaffle on first ring and with rubber bit guards.

We have tried every bit under the sun and STILL she gets a tiny tear in the groove of her mouth where the bit sits. OBviously we then have to stop for the day as it hurts her.

We have no idea when it occurs or why but it is usually within an hour or so of being ridden. She has a small mouth, my friend is in no way heavy handed at all, and this mare does not make you heavy handed she is quite light in the hand if anything.

Its tiny little tear but you just would not want to ride with it, it clearly upsets her and I dont blame her, its painfull!!

We have tried hardening it, vaseline to soften it and allow the bit total movement.

We even tried a hackamore which is fine for hacking but impossible with this particular mare to jump in.

She doesnt lean to that side, she doesnt snatch, the bit has been checked, it happens with any bit....etc etc

Any ideas people????!!!

filly190

Visit site
Even with the rubber bit guards the bit can pinch if she can open her mouth slightly. Have you got her nose band keeping her mouth firmly closed?

filly190

Visit site
I dont know what else to suggest. You have it covered. The little cuts she is getting, is it in the same place each time? Could it be that her jaw/teeth are a little unbalanced and she needs a rasp?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Hopefully her teeth have recently been checked.
Personally would put her in a happy mouth, hanging cheek, link snaffle. If it still persisted then a good thing to use on the corners of the mouth is tincture of myyyrrr (sp?). You can get it from any chemist, dilute with almond oil and dab on.

Clodagh

Visit site
Perhaps not using a gag would help? As the action does pull the bit up in the horses mouth.
Prep H or anusol are good for cut mouths...just don't try the suppositories!!
laugh.gif

seaview

Visit site
michb52 has a great bit for that that doesnt rub! pm her and she will tell you what its called, she isnt here todya but should be back wednesday!
The other thing I used to use on my fella was bonjella it helped loads,
N
x

vicm2509

Visit site
This used to happen to my horse in the summer. I put vasaline in the corners of his mouth before and after riding him, i also put loads of vasaline on the edge of his bit. After 2 weeks the cuts had gone. I kept putting it on his mouth before riding for about a month and we have had no more cuts since although neither his bit nor bridle have changed! His mouth may just be a little chapped from the weather perhaps and the bit is making it worse?

tigers_eye

Visit site
My mare's mouth used to cut easily. I was told to treat it with Blistex, it comes in little tubes and smells pepperminty. I rode her in a hackamore when possible. When I did a 3-day on her I would bandage the sides of the bit (check you don't completely block the action of the bit though) and put as much vaseline as possible on top of the bandage. Have yo tried different types of hackamore? What exactly does she do when jumping in one?

KateStartin

Visit site
A few people have suggested a happymouth, well worth a try but beware of the seam that runs around these types of bit, i have known them to rub. Bonjella is good and plenty of vaseline before riding, good luck!