Help my hand position is awful!

DosyMare

Visit site
So I have a lovely 4yo who has been professionally backed for me last month and although I'm biased his turning out to be rather special. However I can't ride him correctly.

So when in trot I drop my hands so much so they touch my legs and block the contact - the poor lad gets so confused he throws his head up. I know I do it and I know I need to work through my elbow and hold my arms and hands and stay elastic. But I'm really struggling - I think it's lazy ness and I've not ridden for years (had a baby) so I'm not very balanced and lack core muscles.

Any exercise that you can recommend to help this awful habit. I'm so angry at myself and I'm aware it's a rider error and I need to just keep thinking were my hands are.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would book some lessons with a good instructor sometimes when you have a break from riding little bad habits can start, someone there just to remind you when your doing it will soon break the habit and get you back on track:)

_GG_

Visit site
Totally up to you if you try it...you will need help when you get on but i had a similar problem after a break from riding.

I fixed myself by getting on one day when it was warm and dry and i could wear a short sleeved top. When on, i rode a few minutes to get a feel for the correct elbow angle and i got a friend to stick some cellotape to my forearm and biceps. Straight from one to the other, not touching thr inside of my elbow and allowing room for me to be elastic but...if i tried to straighten my arms, the tape would pull on the skin and i woulx get an instant reminder to keep them soft.

Worked for me and only needed to do it once.

madmav

Visit site
Riding instructor made me thread schooling whip behind my back, via elbows, to correct my dodgy arms. Although I think that was more for my riding like Farmer Giles with my elbows than hands too low. But could help with positioning. Don't wear a short-sleeved top, though. The whip cuts into your arms!

Tnavas

Visit site
Self Discipline - you know you do it so check and correct every few strides. What I used to use for the riding school kids learning to do rising trot was a thin neck strap adjusted so that they had to keep it off the horses neck, just hook little fingers under.

DosyMare

Visit site
Thank you.
I do have weekly lessons and my instructor said its just self awareness.
I remember as a child being lunged with a whip behind my back. But think I'll try the cellotape and see if that helps.

Greys

Visit site
More for keeping hands at a consistent space apart but you could try holding a whip through both hands may help you focus.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I video myself most times I school and definitely for lessons. It's amazing how much this helps. In my head, my hands are about touching her ears, in the video they were closer to my crotch. I couldn't believe it actually even though I knew I tend to let the reins slip all the time.

You just have to be totally aware of it all the time. I'm definitely getting better (and have video evidence to show it lol).

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
You may benefit from an intensive maybe ten days out of 14 in the gym doing lots of work on the arm and leg torture apparatus, spinning bikes, and pilates type balancing on the big ball.
I always think about how I look , siting up with a good core position, looking a bit snooty is preferable to being a sack of potatoes, and agree with the neck rein, linked to the fingers.
Your balance is related to your whole body and position, but your hands are going to have to learn to be independent. I had a lesson watching Jane Bartle Wilson BHSI at the Yorkshire Riding Centre, she was riding a youngster, and what set her apart from us mere mortals is her position, she was always, always in the correct position, there was nothing tense [and the pony was pretty fresh] She just adjusted her rein position and the pony dropped his head an inch, or two inches, whatever she wanted, when there was a stramash outside she just let him have a good look, then carried on, no pressure.

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Sticky tape is a great idea as long as you get one that comes off easily and doesn't inadvertently wax you! A few of us tried it at a Mary Wanless clinic, for a variety of position issues and it worked really well.

DosyMare

Visit site
Thank you that's would help holding something short - that way I wouldn't be able to move my hands apart and then down.

Bonkers2 - I do spin twice a week to try lose the extra weight I'm carrying. And I have a personal training on Thursday so I'll ask for exercises for core and balance.

Thank you all - I feel I have something I can work with.