Help! My horse is kicking out at passing vehicles!

Tucky

New User
Visit site
My horse has started kicking out at passing vehicles... He does it without warning and scares himself in the process!

Thankfully he hasn't actually made contact with any, but it's now at the point where I can't hack him out, it's got that bad!

We did have a very near miss with a tractor last year, but had been ridden out after that several times with no kicking! So I have no idea why he has suddenly started doing this!

Any advice on how to get him to stop??? He's scared of crops, so I think a tap on the bum would actually make him worse!

Please help, thanks x

Last edited:

Highlands

Visit site
Think you might have to scare him, unacceptable and dangerous to mix. He might have to have a wack to scare him. My cob mare is a bit whip wary, if I carry ine she's not keen but if I used it she would know she was wrong.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My old TB went through a phase, totally unexplained when he started kicking out. One day he span round and double barrelled at a car! I did give him a good whack and shouted, both of which he hated. I don't usually ever think its right to hit and shout but in these circumstances a short sharp shock might work?

misskk88

Visit site
Whatever his reasons for doing it he needs to understand there are consequences to this action as it is downright dangerous.

If a car was approaching I would have his head turned slightly to the right to try and avoid his hindquarters swinging out or would be leg yielding him over/asking him for slight shoulder in (lots of lateral work comes in handy on hacks for many reasons including this!), and where possible would move onto the verge/into a gap for the safest possible distance you can get between you and car. You may find distracting him by asking something of him to keep him focused is enough.

Of course that isn't always possible and half a ton of horse is probably going to win if he doesn't want to stay where you've put him! In which case a sharp shock is what he needs, whether that is by growling/shouting at him, and giving him a boot, or carrying a whip and using it. I don't advocate using whips or such reactions in all circumstances, but I would rather he get a one off fright from me and learn that it is totally unacceptable, than to end up with his legs through a car door or window.

ETA- is he known to kick at other horses, or anything else, or just traffic?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Depends on many things really

how close the vehicles are passing your horse by
how fast they pass
your horse side stepping to kick cars

My mare kicked a car In that circumstance I did not tell her off nor would I.

I also will never tell them off if the car is up their a$$e$ or pass too close and my horses lash out. That is the drivers fault and their own doing.

One I know double barreled a Jaguar car because the drive was pushing to pass a horse that was backing up instead of following the rider in front. Again the drivers fault, so you need to work out why they are doing it before you can address the problem.

Tucky

New User
Visit site
Hey guys,

Thank you for all your help and advice...

There is no reason why he has started to do this! They cars aren't even close to him! Several times I have even put him on the path (I know, not allowed, bleh!) so he is safely out the way and he still tries to kick them!!!

He is a new ex-racer and so far leg aids mean very little, if nothing at all to him, so trying to get him to shoulder in, means diddly squat lol!

My fear is if I do give him a naughty little tap with a crop he will bolt! He has bolted several times before, and stopping an ex-racer is hard enough, even more so when they are 18hh and have the power of two horses in one!!!

But it needs to be done! For his own safety and mind!

If it was ever a drivers fault, trust me I'd be praising him haha!

Again thank you xx

Last edited:

gunnergundog

Visit site
If a horse can kick out and makes contact with a passing vehicle then they are WAY too close! Either ride out if you can in a pair with another horse alongside, or, not saying you should do this, but in the past I have ridden out on my own with a driving whip held at right angles and if a vehicle came too close cracked it one on the roof. As I said, not suggesting you do this, as I did this in days of yore, when the world was less PC and more oriented to the horse rather than the petrol engine.

littleshetland

Visit site
If I were you, I wouldn't even think of taking him out and about in the traffic until I had more or less complete control, or as much control as anyone can have - it sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen. Are you able to school him or get some lessons until he is properly off your leg so that you can control his backend, and he responds to all your aids. Traffic will behave like traffic, and I wouldn't bother too much trying to control that, but you hopefully CAN make a difference to your horses behaviour. Please keep safe.

BraidedTail

Visit site
Assuming cars aren't actually coming too close - Does he turn and double barrel, or kind of like a one legged side lash out? If you can feel it coming; ie he tenses, starts to turn etc; bend his head towards car and use inside leg (nearest car) hard, even kick, welll back behind girth as soon as he tries. I know it's easy to say and in theory, but not easy to do as it's happening; but might be worth trying.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would work on desensitising him at home with the help of as many sympathetic drivers as possible before taking him out on the road again. When you are ready to go on the road again, a really good, reliable nanny that he knows well and trusts will help.

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
Hi there, does your horse only lash out at vehicles? Are there any other circumstances that make him lash out, i.e. feeding time, being led form field, tacking up, loading etc? Reason I ask is that I have a TB (ex-racer) and in situations she finds stressful she lashes out with hind legs. She is by no means a melicious mare, it is her way of expressing she is stressed out by something. Gradually the lashing out is decreasing and she is learning to relax in many different situations, including feeding times etc.

How are you feeding him? Horses with high adrenaline drive require feeds with low starch and sugar and plenty of fibre, to reduce acid build up. A horse prone to stressing will usually produce more acid, causing discomfort in the stomach and gut if not maintained correctly. It may seem far fetched and people hate hearing, "it could be diet" but 9/10 the diet does have an influence on behaviours being exhibited.

As others have said, desensitising at home and learning to chill may be the way forward. Good luck :)

pennyturner

Visit site
Hi. Not quite the same, but my little stallion, when he was young and first ridden away, used to back toward and kick out at horses in a field by the road. The cure was to ride strongly forward, and yes, this included a good smack if he didn't!
A horse cannot kick very well with his back end engaged.

I would also try to put him in a field near busy traffic if you can.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I would give him a crack for lifting a leg at a car, even if it were too close. Unfortunately, drivers coming too close are a reality of life in many parts of the country and I'm not prepared to allow my horses to put their feet through cars even if the driver's at fault. Completely unacceptable behaviour.

If you're concerned about remaining in control, set it up with a "tame" driver in a controlled environment and do some desensitisation first.

littleshetland

Visit site
If I were you, I wouldn't even think of taking him out and about in the traffic until I had more or less complete control, or as much control as anyone can have - it sounds like a complete disaster waiting to happen. Are you able to school him or get some lessons until he is properly off your leg so that you can control his backend, and he responds to all your aids. Traffic will behave like traffic, and I wouldn't bother too much trying to control that, but you hopefully CAN make a difference to your horses behaviour. Please keep safe.

I would like to re-iterate this ^
You say OP, that your horse has suddenly started to kick out at the cars - so can we assume that previously he has not been bothered by the traffic? has there been any incidents that might have given him cause to suddenly become afraid of cars ? could his sudden change of behaviour be food / management related or is he just misbehaving because he can?

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
This too ^^

In fact, I would consider getting rid of him, an 18hh ex racehorse who kicks out without reason. That is a disaster waiting to happen in my view.

Tucky

New User
Visit site
For 2 years nearly he has been hacking out without any problems!

He was recently out of work due to a kick to the face which caused a fractured skull... So now we are getting him back into work, the kicking has started!

He is such a gentle giant 99.9% of the time! He never bucks, kicks, rears etc, bar this suddent passing vehicles issue! He is a big softy, doesn't ever attack or kick out at other horses either! Doesn't kick in his stable, not even in the wagon (which he is petrified of!) He just stands and shakes and sweats like crazy! Actually this is all he ever normally does with something he doesn't like or scared of!

Only time he does anything different is during our desensitization lessons, he runs away scared, shaking and sweating, lol

He is bar far the gentlest horse I've ever known! It's just this totally out of character car kicking!

Nothing has changed feed, management or exercise wise (bar slowly hacking back into work, which is minimal) he teeth and back are all fine, his previously fractured face is fine! Etc etc

Sounds like I will be practicing in an empty car park, with friends and family in their cars and a crop in my hand! Ha wish me luck!!!!

Thanks again for everyone's helpful and kind advice...

Bar Ponyclubmumz ... Yous was uncalled for, how about I tell you to 'get rid' of your hairy child!

Last edited:

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Oh dear, poor chap, a fractured skull? How bad was it? I know it's not the same species but my sister had a fall which resulted in a hairline fracture of her skull and a small bleed. We were told that it may or may not lead to some behavioural changes.

Just something to think about whether the initial injury caused a bit more damage than first thought? Is this the only change you have witnessed/experienced since the kick? Was it on one side of his face or the middle? If to the side is it his offside?

Last edited:

Mike007

Visit site
Has his vision in his right veye been reduced.?Always turn a horses head outwards as a car passes so they see the horse with the right eye, they will insinctively turn their bums away .

PonyclubmumZ

Visit site
I am sorry I have offended you, perhaps I am a coward? I could not cope with an enormous horse like that that kicks out whilst I am riding it. It just seems really dangerous to me, I could not manage the stress of riding him. Sorry :(

Tucky

New User
Visit site
No his sight is fine, nothing else has changed behavior wise! The kick was more towards his left eye, which we thought we where going to lose, but thankfully didn't, it was just mass swelling which actually protected the eye instead!

If anything he is more cuddly and a bigger wuss than before haha!

Thank you ponyclubmum... If he was a Shetland people don't think twice, but due to his size I get a lot of nasty and aggressive comments. He's a gentleman!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't think it was meant to be a nasty or aggressive comment - kicking out at traffic is a really big deal, no matter what his size. Getting rid is, realistically, an option - even if it's one you're choosing not to consider (which is absolutely fine, it's just narrowing down the options you have to those you find acceptable).

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The potential for damage to the horse, the car, any passengers is pretty big regardless of the size of the horse. And I wouldn't consider him a perfect gentleman if you are worried he will bolt...

I ride on plenty of roads where the cars have to be within kicking distance to pass, so I don't think that just means the cars are too close.

I am confused that you say he is a new ex racer but for 2 years he has been hacking out without issue?

Hopefully you will be able to try and correct this while friends/family stay far enough away in said empty car park, good luck!