HELP!! my horse will not settle at new yard!

ourkezza

New User
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice please :)

I moved my horse to a new yard last Sunday she has now been there a week. She has been pacing up and down the field and neighing continuously the first few days and sweating herself up. She is used to being in a field on her own with horses nearby and this is the same where she is now, there are two mares in field right by her. She is 19 years old and I have had her 8 years and never has she been like this when I've moved her. She seems to have settled a bit now in the field but will not settle at the yard, she doesn't stand still and she is neighing a lot and seems frustrated, as I said this isn't like her. She also has sweetitch and the new yard has a farm and I am wondering if she is irritated by her sweetitch too (she now has sweetitch rug on). I am not sure if I have been taking her in to the yard too soon, but I just wanted her to get used to it and I give her food when she is there as she needs handful of food each day with joint supplement, so showing something positive when she is in the yard. She keeps pawing the ground also which she has never done before. A couple of times other people have brought there horse on to yard and she calms down for a short while and then starts again even though they are still there. I'm just worried because its not like her at all. she was stabled throughout winter in previous yard and she is out 24/7 now which she has been the rest of the time i have had her other than this winter. Look forward to your advice :)

9tails

Visit site
The yard may not suit her and she has lost all her friends. Is it a similar size to her previous yard? I know for sure that my own horse won't settle in a yard of less than 20 horses. I think she's lonely and scared.

ourkezza

New User
Visit site
It has similar about of horses but yard is smaller and more enclosed. I've had her at a yard with lots of horses and also field with one companion in past and she has never seemed to be stressed :(

jewel

Visit site
was she at the last year a long time? i moved my pony in june from where she was for 5 years and she totally changed. to the point she was dangerous to handle. ive now moved her back and she is totally fine again thankfully lol

ourkezza

New User
Visit site
She was at the last yard for about 11 months and she didn't seem really attached to one horse! I've been to her today and she seems a bit better and she was eating her hay but still not standing still and was still pawing at the ground etc! There was 3 other horses on the yard today too but she didn't seem to be any better because of them, its so frustrating, but I do feel a bit more assured she will settle as she was calmer today :)