Help!! My mare has turned broody

Cop-Pop

Visit site
Ponio used to be a broodmare - apparantly she wasn't bothered about any of her foals and weaned all of them at 5 months simply by ignoring them. As I don't want to breed from her this wasn't a problem for me.

However.... about four or five shows age she started to get VERY excited when the stallions were around
blush.gif
and wasa bit 'lively' for a few days after. At our last show there were a lot of foals around and well... she went nuts!!
shocked.gif
She was calling for them, snorting, rearing - doing anything she could to get near them
crazy.gif
(it didn't help when the dog who is usually her calming influence decided that he too wanted a foal
shocked.gif
grin.gif
)

She's started to get very stressy and is dropping weight
frown.gif
I've upped her food and have decided to keep her home until our next big show rather than going to smaller ones in between in the hope that she can chill a bit and put some weight on but does anyone know of anything I can do/give her? I'll ring the vet on Tuesday and ask him but in the meantime I just wondered is anyone else has this problem? My TB has never reacted this way but then shes never been in foal.

*sighs* The pony is suppoed to be the stress free one out of the two of them!!
grin.gif

skewby

Visit site
Hiya Zalacca
smile.gif
agnus castus works real wonders and I know an excellent supplier (why does that sound dodge?! Lol!), just PM me if you want details
smile.gif
frisky girl, lol! Spring is in the air, evidently!!

hellybelly6

Visit site
A combination of hormones, spring, and grass. It should pass eventually.

You could try agnus castus - my gelding refused to eat this or oestrus by NAF.

my gelding is a bit of a perv at the moment with the mares and is shouting to them. Am sure its the time of year.