Help! Nasty horse in pasture

NewerRider89

Visit site
Hello,
Can I just say first; Please only reply to my post if you are answering my questions and can help.

17h 11YR old OTTB. Fine to lead/ shoe. I ahve groomed him a couple of time but he does try to bite.
He has 1 acre to himself.
Last week, I was poo picking his feild, and after about 5 minutes he came over. I said hello to him, then I went about my buisness. He started nipping at me, and I walked away to poo pick somewhere away from him. He followed me and continued biting. I put my hand out and said no, and he cantered off and started to circle me (maybe he was confused about what I wanted) he continued circling me, but cutting across the middle nexto me and bucking. I tried to leave the feild, because he is 17h and I had nothing to pretect myself, and he just cantered after me.

Tomorrow I have to go and pick his feild again.
What would YOU do with a horse that behaved like this?
He is so much bigger than me, and very pushy.

scrunchie

Visit site
Carry a whip and clack it on the arse if he tries it again.

He's trying to dominate you.

Saffy tried it once with me and got a smack. She hasn't done it since.

NewerRider89

Visit site
He is not mine, I volunteer at a rescue yard.
He was in a field with other a month ago, but when a new one came he went out on his own.

He stopped racing when he was 5, and then was ridden by a lady until she could no longer afford to keep him.

jaquelin

Visit site
Use horse behaviourist techniques if you have ever seen them, for example, stand square and wave your arms up, which is a dominance posture. I think what you describe is not letting horse know that you are in charge of him, he is testing you. I watched horse behaviourists and really experienced people dominate horses with posture, etc - a little hard to describe. Suggest you look on YouTube or horse behaviourists's web sites and you should see some examples. Once he knows you are boss, his rudeness should diminish. Good luck!

Beausmate

Visit site
If I were you, I'd be tempted to put him in while I sorted the field out. Wear a hat if you can't, but I'd want him out of the way, just in case. Work on his behaviour in the stable first where you can tie him up short if need be. Sounds like he needs to learn some respect.

How much turnout does he get? What was he like when he was in with the other horse?

Beausmate

Visit site
Be VERY careful with attempting stuff you've only seen done on things like YouTube. Most of the people working with difficult horses know exactly what they're doing. A lot of the techniques are very subtle. If you're not 100% sure of what you're doing then I'd advise against it. All too easy to get hurt.

be positive

Visit site
Someone at the rescue centre needs to really address the reason for his behaviour, he is most likely bored and lonely.
As a rescue they should be giving horses a suitable environment with company if unable to provide this maybe some exercise would help to occupy his mind, he is still young and if only there for reason you have given he should still be able to do some work, groundwork to give him some boundaries would be a good start.
Sending you, a volunteer, in to poo pick with a fresh horse is irresponsible, they really need to be more careful.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I think the establishment where you are kindly volunteering have a duty of care not to put you in that position in the first place.

Please be very careful, 17 hh of ignorant horse is easily capable of doing you serious damage.

flowerlady

Visit site
He is not mine, I volunteer at a rescue yard.
He was in a field with other a month ago, but when a new one came he went out on his own.

He stopped racing when he was 5, and then was ridden by a lady until she could no longer afford to keep him.

In your previous posts you say you are loaning him? Reading all your previous posts I would have to ask what is your other user name as you seem to be trolling;):D

NewerRider89

Visit site
I have no other user names, and my previous post is irrelevant to this one. As I said, please only reply if you are answering my question.

My previous loan with the 16.2 tb didnt work out, and I decided to get more on ground experience before I loan again. I am only volunteering there now.
I have never had a problem when poo picking fields before, which is why I posted this.

Anglebracket

Visit site
Can he see and interact with other horses? Maybe he is stressed because he feels isolated.

You say he is a rescue. What work is being done with him for rehabilitation?

Does he have a stable? If so, why not poo pick his field when he is in there?

dunkley

Visit site
You started riding in June, and a 'Rescue Centre' is leaving you unsupervised to handle and loan ex racehorses? Either the 'frail old lady' is mad, or you are.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
You started riding in June, and a 'Rescue Centre' is leaving you unsupervised to handle and loan ex racehorses? Either the 'frail old lady' is mad, or you are.

hmmmm think i agree with you on this, I'm thinking it's less of a rescue centre but more of a place that needs rescuing from itself!!!

NewerRider89

Visit site
I began to loan him because I was told he was a novice ride. He was loaned previously and was fine, I heard. That is why I started to loan him. but he was left out in the field for 6 months before I came. When I saw he was unsuitable for me on the ground, I stopped loaning.

Now I am just volunteering, I have been poo picked the fields with the other horses no problem. I only have this problem with him.

I'm glad you understand what I mean by "please only reply if you are answering my question."

Thank you to all of the decent members who answered, rather than others being rude and unhelpful.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's simple you are a volunteer at a charity I assume ,they have a duty of care the yard manager should arrange for the horse to be brought in while you poo picking.
It sounds to me that he may need company.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I would say that the horse needs company. The first thing that struck me about your post was saying that the horse was out in one acre on it's own. A horse should naturally be part of a herd, so he probably wants company. Added to which you are the new "herd member" on what he views as his territory, hence the circling and cantering round. He was treating you as he would treat a new horse onto his territory.
Don't get yourself hurt. Good luck.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Most likely this horse will be fine if handled by knowledgeable people, but I am concerned that you are being put in an unsafe situation at this yard.
Would it be possible for you to help/gain experience in horsecare at a local yard/RS where standards of practice are higher ?

HeatherAnn

Visit site
Here's what you need to do:
Step 1: Take a carrot stick and a Parelli halter to the field with you.
Step 2: be dazzled at the change in his behaviour.
Step 3: beg the YO to let you loan him.

s4sugar

Visit site
I began to loan him because I was told he was a novice ride. He was loaned previously and was fine, I heard. That is why I started to loan him. but he was left out in the field for 6 months before I came. When I saw he was unsuitable for me on the ground, I stopped loaning.

Now I am just volunteering, I have been poo picked the fields with the other horses no problem. I only have this problem with him.

I'm glad you understand what I mean by "please only reply if you are answering my question."

Thank you to all of the decent members who answered, rather than others being rude and unhelpful.

So now you aren't loaning him is he getting fed?

NewerRider89

Visit site
Thank you.
He doesn't have his own stable, as he is very uneasy when he's in one. But maybe it's still best for me to take him to the stable block so I dont have to keep watching my back.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you.
But maybe it's still best for me to take him to the stable block so I dont have to keep watching my back.

Do not just do the above off your own bat...unless you have adequate insurance....

1. Speak to YO & mention your concerns about your personal safety.
2. Ask the YO to remove the horse from the paddock whilst you clear it.
3. If YO does not comply with your request for safety provisions to be made then DO NOT enter the field.

End of........

Sherbie

Visit site
I would say that the horse needs company. The first thing that struck me about your post was saying that the horse was out in one acre on it's own. A horse should naturally be part of a herd, so he probably wants company. Added to which you are the new "herd member" on what he views as his territory, hence the circling and cantering round. He was treating you as he would treat a new horse onto his territory.
Don't get yourself hurt. Good luck.

^^This exactly!
If you cant put him in a stable, can he be tied up outside with a haynet? It dosent sound like you are confident round this horse and maybe for the time being, a more experienced voulnteer could do that paticular field. If your serious about voulnteering at this yard (and they want you in one piece) maybe working with experienced people round this horse, not on your own until you can handle him and read him a little better. I dont mean to sound rude and havent read your other posts but think it could be benificial to you and the horse/s if you had some more support and advice from the people in charge.

Stinkbomb

goldenoakmochachino.blogspot.com
Im sorry but having read your previous posts on this "charity" and reading this one it seems to me you are being taken advantage of. No yard owner, never mind a charity should put anyone, let alone an inexperienced person in this situation. You volunteer.... i would not enter this field again for your own personal safety. One kick could kill you and from what youve described this horse is protecting his teritory. If you insist in poo picking this field again then you say previously youve tied him up in the field to groom him. Can you not tie him up as soon as you enter to do what you need to do?

I would really seriously think about entering this field again. It sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Also you may get some friendly advice if your posts wernt so abrupt.. just a thought

jalapeno

Wherever the wind takes me.. usually somewhere on
Visit site

It may come across as rude and unhelpful but in reality people are concerned for yourself and the horses welfare. You are not and cannot be competent enough (If I am to believe you have been riding since June) to be around Ex-racehorses, no 'rescue' in the right mind should have you volunteering especially carrying out such tasks and being close up and unsupervised with said horses. May I suggest getting experience at a riding school or similar?

Godknows

Visit site
Hi NewRider89. You say in a previous post the Charity has a web site and everything? Can you post a link to the charity site please. Others on here may be able to also help if the dear old lady needs experienced help?

Sherbie

Visit site
Yep, theres being keen and caring but theres also a fine line here where it becomes dangerous. If you enjoy being around horses and want to learn, surley you could 1. be taught and learn from experienced people 2. Go to a riding school or a yard where they may have more time and more suitable horses to explain and teach you.
If you enjoy horses as a hobby think about more constructive and safe ways to learn and ENJOY them. :) I know this from experience by the way ;P
Good luck in whatever you decide