Help need to find a bit that suits my hooligan mare.

showjump

Visit site
My chestnut mares a hooligan, fidget, and opinionated at te best of times.. And just the same when ridden. She's well behave and as obedient (for her anyway) on the flat, but once jumps are involved it usually goes out the window.. To be fair to her she's very bold and careful but most of all loves to jump.
She cannot handle being worked in, so our current approach is to wander around carpark and do minimal working in, trying not to over boil her! This is my trainers say so, and tbh it works for us.
When she jumps the futher around the course, the stronger and keener she gets. With my arms being shot at by the end of the round!
Bit wise she's been in afew;
Fulmer with lozenge and grackle- strong and leans on me in this.
Myler Fulmer- hates this and curls her head right in.
Waterford snaffle and grackle- still leans on my hands.
Pelham withlozenge- still leant, but maybe too much in her mouth too strong.

I feel she leans down and pulls herself onto the forehand, maybe gag could suit? Also what do people think of doing away with the grackle, as I often wonder if she fights more with that restricting her mouth.

Does anyone rate any calmers? She's on Angus castus currently, but not sure it's doing much?

Any help/ advice would be great.

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I think it's often trial and error with bits... I'd be inclined to try a Dutch gag/Wilkie, personally would use a lozenge mouthpiece as I prefer them, but depends what your mare goes best in.
As for the grackle, does she cross her jaw/ open her mouth to evade the bit? If not then totally unnecessary! But Id want to try with/without and different noseband and bit combinations to find what suits both of you.

Re calmers, I don't use them at all, much more beneficial to address lifestyle/feed instead IMO

showjump

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have my other boy in a wilie with lozenge, but never thought to try her in it, how silly of me!! I think she needs something to lift her head up, so like you say gag or such like.
No she doesn't really open her mouth etc, I think we went that route to try and aid brakes without going to a stronger bit.
I was thinking of trying a micklem bridle, as she always has been fussy!

Never had a horse who I describe as a hooligan or yobbo to ride!!

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I think magnesium only works if your grazing is magnesium deficient or your horse is low I'm it in general, but worth a shot as some horses really respond to being on it. Equine America do magnitude which is pure mag ox, think the tubs are about 6 months worth as well so good value, or you can get it online for next to nothing! I've never used a micklem but some horses go well in them so maybe try if you can rent/borrow one or something? Is she any different to ride in a grackle than a plain cavesson? If not then its not making any difference so probably doesn't matter which she's in, but there's certainly no harm in trying different nosebands out as well :)

pottypony1

Visit site
Try a true gag. Not one like a three ring 'gag'. As they are not actual gags and actually encourage their heads down. True gags are like American gags, these help to pull their heads up and give more control. Hope this helps :)

showjump

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. How do I know if my grazing is low in magnesium anyhow? At home she schools on the flat nicely in a plain caver son so will now ditch the grackle I think.
I have a English gag, i did think about that with two reins maybe.
May look into hiring a micklem bridle, and see how she likes it. Thanks

A&C

Visit site
You could try a pelham without a lozenge - just a single joint? I jump and hack my horse in a single jointed pelham. I tried a gag and had no control! I have tried about 10 different bits.