help needed !! choosing supplements to aid muscle for 16yr old

kickandshout

Visit site
as the titile says im looking for a supplement or balancer or something to aid muscles / topline but im on a budget.

so far looked at
n0.4 baileys
topspec topline balancer
blue chip
spillers veteran balancer
dengie performance vitamins
pink powder senior

and now im confused as to which of them would be any good for my horse or indeed if something else would be instead.

he's a 16 year old warmblood who regularly competes (sj xc dr ) and is ridden 6 days a week.
I've recently noticed a lack of muscle behind the wither, under the saddle in the general topline area.
his saddle has recently had to be adjusted because of this.
ive been advised to feed something to aid muscle development (proteins) and aid topline but

There is a lot to choose from on the market so which have you used and what did you think of it ???

also is there a specific exercise to build the muscles in the area under the saddle ??
My horse cant be lunged for my safety and his :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
There isn't a specific supplement that will target a certain area; a general review of the diet will determine if there is sufficient protein available for muscle maintenance - and there isn't a commercial feed that doesn't at the very least cover these bases; the adult horse requires 10% protein so most over-provide if anything. Diet will provide available protein, but only exercise will build muscle. A loss of muscle mass is part of the process of ageing but most older horses can be worked to maintain their shape. Getting the horse to work properly over his back will promote the top line muscles.

paddy555

Visit site
In addition to a supplement, which for me would be equimins advance complete, I would use the one thing that improves muscles wastage. Natural vitamin E oil. Natural is superior to synthetic and quality counts with vitamin e oil. However it really does work.

All 5 of my horses (2 of which are over 20) are supplemented with vit E oil and also my old cushings pony. The 2 oldies are not ridden or worked so the improvements in them have been down entirely to vit E not exercise.

mirabela123

Visit site
In addition to a supplement, which for me would be equimins advance complete, I would use the one thing that improves muscles wastage. Natural vitamin E oil. Natural is superior to synthetic and quality counts with vitamin e oil. However it really does work.
g.png

All 5 of my horses (2 of which are over 20) are supplemented with vit E oil and also my old cushings pony. The 2 oldies are not ridden or worked so the improvements in them have been down entirely to vit E not exercise.

where I can buy it?

paddy555

Visit site
a good dose to correct damage is around 8000iu ie 8grams or 8mls. At that rate a bottle lasts 125 days so around £22 per month.

Nudibranch

Visit site
As mentioned, supplements won't help. If the saddle now fits correctly, you will see a difference in muscling eventually. I will say a Suberpad was the best buy I ever made for my older CB. She arrived with quite bad muscle wastage and it really, really helped.
In my experience, slow hacking with lots of hill work is the best exercise, if you have access to hills.