Help needed - flexion tests....

Berkeley

Visit site
As some of you are aware my friend had a vetting done on 2yr old warmblood today. The vet failed the horse on the basis she was 4/10ths lame on her front right leg. This was diagnosed after a flexion test was undertaken which showed that her leg was lame. When we saw the horse last week, she was not lame. She trotted and cantered with no signs of any problems - however I know that flexion tests can highlight issues unforseen to a lay person. All other three legs were unaffected.

Is it worth getting 2nd vet test done? what would it achieve? is it worth buying? should she move on?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Flexion tests can be contentious.

However, presumably your friend used the vet of her choice, and is confident in his findings.

If she is very keen she could arrange for a 2nd flexion test to be done in a week or so.

Did the vet give any indication as to why he thought the flexion was a problem?

galaxy

Visit site
4/10th is really quite lame. I think I think I'd probably walk away.

Did you go and watch the vetting? Was the leg tested more than once? Were you using your regular vet?

KatB

Visit site
I would walk away if a 2 yr old is having probs with Flexions. HOWEVER, if she is really keen, I would have X rays done.

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
Personally I would move on, as much as it hurts!! A 2 yr old failing a flexion, to me, shouts warnings!!

Is it worth spending money for another vetting, know ing it could end with the same results?

As you said she looked sound when you saw her trotted up, but a flexion can show signs of lameness that may accur later on, if that makes sense!

Its up to your friend, but I would be inclined to encoruage her to move on! Its a buyer market!

Berkeley

Visit site
Thanks AmyMay. I am on the phone to her now asking her, she said the vet said nothing further but did suggest a second test. The owner is getting the horse checked again by HIS vet - I know there are issues with impartiality. What does it mean for the future of the horse in terms of competing? Is it serious?

galaxy

Visit site
How serious it is really depends on what's causing it.... So imnpossible to say how it would effect the possible competition future it may have. Impossible to say though, but if vet has recommended retesting it I would probably do it.

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
Retest.

If it fails a second time - walk away.
Good luck!
laugh.gif

teddyt

Visit site
A flexion test is supposed to show up if a joint has a problem by stressing it. 4/10ths lame is quite lame. FTs are contentious because if you held up your leg for a minute, pulling the joint firmly then ran of then most people would take a few lame steps. Different vets do them harder/softer and interpret the results differently.
FTs only show up a potential problem (arguably-see above) not what the problem is. Only an x ray will tell you if there is anything going on in the joint.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know there are issues with impartiality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe there are issues actually....

Berkeley

Visit site
Yes you are right - this is what my friend thinks. I told her that the vet has professional integrity and any misrepresentations made would be negligent. I told her to speak to the vet and not take the seller's word for it in terms of the report.

Berkeley

Visit site
My friend was there today when the vetting was done. The second one is to take place on Thursday. She won't be there so I have suggested she speak directly to the vet afterwards and go from there.

Cliqmo

Visit site
If she can speak directly to the current vet he has an obligation to disclose whether she has been treated for lameness before which could be useful
smile.gif

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com
[ QUOTE ]
If she can speak directly to the current vet he has an obligation to disclose whether she has been treated for lameness before which could be useful
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure this is correct actually?

If I wanted to sell my mare (who has previously done a check ligament) and someone asked my vet about her - I think confidentiality would mean that he should not tell someone of her history without my knowledge? (unless it is an ongoing, and therefore present, condition)

megwan1

Visit site
My mare will trot up lame on the fronts after fts although i think hop up would be more acurate but she has never had a problem in the 2yrs i've had her or the 5 that a friend had her before me or since she came from ireland 6 before that (my instructer and friends have known her since she came over)
but she also wasnt 2 wen this was discovered i think it was bout 9.....

i think it depends how much ur paying and also how much they will drop the price because they could drop it so much that it could be worth the risk ?! as wen my friend bout fliss 7yrs ago she got her for £1000 when she was advertised 4 £9000
also depends what ur future plans are for the horse?

annret

Visit site
^^ The reason for a drop, as indicated above, is that there is likely to be a heavy problem attached to this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't she want a competition youngster? I'm afraid, then, I would walk away.

louisevictoria

Visit site
I would walk away, the fact that the horse is 2yrs old and showing a possible problem would set alarm bells ringing for me I'm afraid. If she is looking for a serious competition prospect I don't think it would be worth it without at least getting an x-ray to confirm if she is that keen on the horse.

I know FT's can be a contentious issue but FWIW my 13yr old that showjumps sailed through a 5 stage vetting and flexion tests without any problems

Good luck with the retest