help needed for poorly foal, vets baffled!

Dexter

Visit site
Really glad hes improving, it must have been utterly terrfiying! :(

And as for the yearling/foal thing, I refer to my rising 2 year old as a yearling most of the time. Hes a strapping 15hands but hes only just 16months old and is in my mind a yearling. I've also got a rising yearling who is only just 6 months old, I refer to him as a foal, and to all intenets an purposes he IS a foal despite being a strapping 14hands!

If I posted about them in a panic I'm pretty sure I'd refer to them both as a foal/weanling and yearling without thinking to say they were technically older...

BonneMaman

Visit site
Thats a bit of a hasty decision don't you think?

Crikey! - I agree with this - I have known some very sick horses in my time, young and old but we gave them all a fighting chance. Really pleased the youngster is doing well now. Just shocked by the "shoot it shoot it" attitudes...

Muchadoaboutnothing

Visit site
Crikey! - I agree with this - I have known some very sick horses in my time, young and old but we gave them all a fighting chance. Really pleased the youngster is doing well now. Just shocked by the "shoot it shoot it" attitudes...

Gosh me too!

So pleased to hear the youngster is recovering ok. Must of been horrid to find them like that.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The trouble is if it is a sick FOAL as opposed to a yearling they go downhill very fast. If it was a foal as stated and the vets really had no idea what was wrong and no idea therefore of how to treat it then the owner - not the OP - faced the very real prospect of watching their baby slip away. As there is little way of knowing how much pain a foal is in once it is "flat" as described in the OP, if there is little prospect of a happy outcome then it would be kinder to help the foal on it's way - no real need to shoot a tiny foal, provided it's veins have not collapsed. It may also be kinder to the owner as watching a young animal slip away and having no idea what to do to help is a terrible thing to go through - not to mention the possibility of expensive invasive "investigation" leaving no foal but a big vet bill.

If, as we were told later, one is dealing with a normally bouncy yearling who is a bit swollen and under the weather then the prospects are very different.

However I suppose it all depends on one's attitude and, hopefully, the advice of one's vets rather than unknown people on a forum.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
The trouble is if it is a sick FOAL as opposed to a yearling they go downhill very fast. If it was a foal as stated and the vets really had no idea what was wrong and no idea therefore of how to treat it then the owner - not the OP - faced the very real prospect of watching their baby slip away. As there is little way of knowing how much pain a foal is in once it is "flat" as described in the OP, if there is little prospect of a happy outcome then it would be kinder to help the foal on it's way - no real need to shoot a tiny foal, provided it's veins have not collapsed. It may also be kinder to the owner as watching a young animal slip away and having no idea what to do to help is a terrible thing to go through - not to mention the possibility of expensive invasive "investigation" leaving no foal but a big vet bill.

If, as we were told later, one is dealing with a normally bouncy yearling who is a bit swollen and under the weather then the prospects are very different.

However I suppose it all depends on one's attitude and, hopefully, the advice of one's vets rather than unknown people on a forum.

Very good post Hic plus you've echoed my post much earlier which is based on knowledge of young foals, as was NP's.
Not a hasty decision in the slightest IF it is a young foal involved AS WE WERE ORIGINALLY TOLD. Nobody likes to pull the plug too early but in the case of a foal it can be the most humane way as their young bodies don't cope well at all with illness; with some injuries, it's slightly different but when something attacks a foal's system, you really do have very little options unless you are prepared to watch the foal suffer in pain with very little chance of a good outlook; that doesn't help the foal at all, just your own feelings of doing something. You should do what is best for the animal, not yourself and it might behold a few people in this thread to realise that.

That said, it's good the YEARLING is on the road to recovery and I look forward to further updates.

Queenbee87

Visit site
Glad yearling is on road to recovery!

Just as well you didn't stick a bullet in it! Always better to listen to the vet rather than a forum xx;)

Especially when the forum members haven't been given full information ;)

Obviously a vet will know more but when the OP first posted, the vet wasn't there. People offered advice based on the information given.

Glad the yearling is on the mend and continues to improve.