Help needed for travelling a dog abroad please

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Anyone who travels abroad with your dogs can you help please.

A friend of mine rescued a dog in Spain. He’s got her uk passport, she lived with him in Spain, has all her vaccinations, rabies shots etc. and travelled into the UK on sept 28th this year with Brittany Ferries. In Jan he is going back to Spain with her. The ferry company says she needs a wormer before she goes, so he’s attempted to get that in the UK. To do that he has to register her with a uk vet. Ok no problem….. however , he can’t as they insist he needs an Animal Health Form that takes an hours appointment, and they can’t fit that in before we go.

I’ve contacted my vet, and I’ve registered her as mine, and they were brilliant, but are still wanting the animal health form. But Brittany Ferries still only want the wormer and proof rabies up to date.

Has anyone else had these issues? Will she be turned away if she travels back on the same passport she came in with (with wormer proof) ?

nagblagger

Visit site
If the dog has a UK passport it is not valid in EU anymore, so to get into back into Spain, she will need a Animal Health certificate and wormer. This is expensive, when she is back in Spain get a spanish passport for the dog and all she will need is wormers both to and from the UK. My dogs have Irish passports and it saves us a fortune.
Just have to make sure when the rabies vaccs are due they are given in Ireland, or Spain in your friends case.

Boulty

Visit site
I'd second the advice of getting her a Spanish passport when your friend gets back to Spain as it will make everything easier from that point on but as nagblagger says since we left the EU UK pet passports are now not seen as valid by EU countries. The replacement animal health certificate is a massive PITA and this is why the hour long appointment is needed as it really does take that long to fill out!

Your friend does run the risk of being turned away without the right paperwork unless they get someone clueless but that's quite a large gamble and could run the risk of the dog getting stuck

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Weve got it sussed…. The Animal health certificate needs to be done a maximum of 10 days before travel. She doesn’t need a wormer to go out, only to come into the uk. And my vets will do the AHC for £117. Then once she’s in Spain we can swap that for a spanish passport. So all solved for the future.
thank you