help needed please???

seaview

Visit site
To cut a massively long story short my horse ended up over a 6 bar gate the other day he did not make it, his front end did but his back end fell on the gate and mangled it beyond belief!!!

On checking him we found he was suprisingly ok with only a few v minor grazes,
had vet out to check him over that night as I am a very paranoid mummy and wanted my mind put at rest!

Anyway she said keep him in field and give him until last night off and try a little work with him then, I did as advised and walked for ages and then had a couple of laps of trots! something wasnt right so I stopped and walked again for a couple of mins, he still didnt feel right so I took him in.

This morning when I went up (He had been out in field all night) he is very stiff its as if his back end is moving like a robot,

We have a huge show in 10 days and its something basically we work towards all year! I know in the grand scheme of things if we miss it its not the end of the world but I will lose a lot of money as well as the disappointment (as in about 1.5k by the time you get acomodation and entries )

I am waiting on vet getting back to me but does anyone have any good questions I need to ask or advice as to what to do next, he obviously cant get pain killers as they would test
frown.gif

I would really appreciate anything anyone has to say,
N
x

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
He would be ok to have bute for 2 days, IV.
I would get your vet to recommend a good physio ASAP.
Have a sesh, a week of long walks, another sesh then hopefully you can kick on.
I assume he is passing 1's and 2's ok? No fear of a bit of internal pain?

pottamus

Visit site
After a fall like that and given the potential of all that weight being trust in the wrong direction I would say stuff the flippin show, get someone out to look at your horses back end and spine and concentrate on getting him well...I would not be riding him either regardless of what the vet said! Sorry to be blunt but that is what I would do.

seaview

Visit site
Yeah he is I had him in one of the days to check that,
Next step was physio have an appointment made for tomorrow with a very reputable woman for that but I have to travel him quite a bit, my Dad is concerned that that would be too long in the box if he is sore (approx 1-1.5 hours travelling???)

I am not sure about Bute because surely its only masking and its not like he is hopping its the robot look more????

Thanks guys I really appreciate it
frown.gif

N
x

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
The bute will reduce inflammation in the muscles, and allow him to loosen up and use them. That coupled with a good physio will put most minor muscle issues right.
Yes it is masking, thats why you should only walk.
If you think it isnt minor, then get a blood test to check for muscle damage.

seaview

Visit site
I know I have faced that fact too and as said I have him going to the physio tomorrow, I am just gutted by the whole thing and feel totally responsible as I let a rider on him that in my opinion was competent but clearly wasnt
frown.gif

Thats the thing last night he escaped from his field into my girls field and is flying about with them everyone says he wouldnt be doing that if he was as sore as I am imagining but I am not convinced???

I have sat blubbing all morning which isnt helping either,

N
x

OrangeEmpire

www.equestrian-portrait.com
He's almost certainly wrenched his muscles - physio can't hurt anyway. Usually takes 2 weeks for a strain like that to recover fully - which if you are lucky takes you right up to the show so fingers crossed he'll be fine by then!

Why not take him to the physio, give him a day or two off afterwards to recover, then walk him about to loosen him up. He shouldn't lose any fitness in that time so I'm sure all will be fine!
Hope all goes well for you. Horses ALWAYS do this when you have something planned! They are such a pain!

seaview

Visit site
Doh vicijp I didnt think of the inflamation when you cant physically see anything wrong or swellings you tend to forget that one!
Right will ask for blood tests too but just so I dont look like a complete pratt how does it check for muscle damage????
Thanks again
N
x

Fiona

Visit site
So sorry to hear this Nat. Saw you in the distance at Castlewellan in the championship, and looking stunning.
Hoping the physio goes well, have you started him on arnica in case he has bruised his tummy or his stifles??
Fingers crossed that he improves in time for RDS.

FIona

PS Flo has cellulitis at the mo, they really can pick their timing can't they.

seaview

Visit site
Hi Fiona,
Nice to chat again how are you?
I hear a certain bay pony is being a little star
smile.gif
he is gorg!!!!!!

He has been so good and does not deserve this at all!
Put him on Arnica tablets for first couple of days will maybe keep them going actually.

At a bit of a loss at mo tbh vet coming this afternoon and taking him to Joanne tomorrow so will see how things go then,

I was planning on selling him at Dublin, think its a sign that I am not supposed to, must remember to tell hubby that LOL.

Poor Flo hopes she gets better soon, how was her dressage coming along before her set back?
N
x

Skhosu

Visit site
Flip, didn't realise the show was the RDS, that sucks.
Whereabouts are you as we had a good physio come out to us, clare-marie?

seaview

Visit site
Thanks triple SandH got an appointment with my usual one tomorrow and have great faith in her rushing now to see vet,
Thanks everyone for all the help,
N
x