Help needed re part loaner/rider

hotair

Visit site
Hi Guys :),

Just looking for a bit of advice really, i have eventually found somoene to help me out with my boy a few days a week. Its not really a part loan arrangement as no money is changing hands, its just that i felt my horse could benefit from a bit of extra work whilst im at work and this girl is here for uni and had to sell her own horse before making the move so wanted a horse to ride. She will be riding a few days a week and doing jobs on those days I dont want any payment as i feel it is a mutually beneficial arrangement so it wouldnt be right to take money. My question is would you still have a loan agreement in place stating what is and isnt expected in this situation (eg what can and cant be done with horse) or not as its not really a part loan but more of a rider for my horse? I havent done anything like this before nor have i loaned or part loaned any of mine before so just looking for a bit of help and advice.

Thank you!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I would definitely still have an agreement in place so both parties are clear on what is expected. I'd also insist that she has rider insurance, BHS gold membership includes this and it's just £6 per month.

SadKen

Visit site
Yes I would is the short answer! Then everyone knows where they are. It's for protection for both of you and the horse. There are plenty of example agreements online, that you can tweak to fit. I wouldn't mind signing in the loaners position... In fact I'd insist!

hotair

Visit site
I did think it would be beneficial so that if nothing else i can put down in writing what i expect in terms of working my horse as i was originally advertising for a part loaner and for them to take on a small amount of the costs, but when i met the girl who will be helping i decided that as she was a nice rider and had a good amount of experience i would offer her the ride for free in return for help with the jobs on those days and on the condition that she would help keep on top of my horses schooling rather than just hacking,jumping going xc everytime she rode as i do compete him so it is important to me that its kept on top of, she seemed very happy with this arrangement but i did think it may be best to have it all in writing.

Thanks for your advice guys

shadeofshyness

www.packthesuitcases.com
Just want to point out that BHS Gold only covers you if no money trades hands - so if you do decide to make it formal with her paying, this will be invalid - I found this out just after I started loaning and had paid up in full for it!

dianchi

Visit site
Definitely cos if she doesn't ride who will be covering the jobs/care of the horse that day! Sorry another stung owner here!

hotair

Visit site
Thanks everyone all good points to think about, we are doing it as a pretty flexible arrangement in that we dont have set days each week we will just be arranging days at the end of each week for the following week. I do have time to get all jobs done everyday so he would never go with out but i do think i need to write into the agreement that if she isnt going to be going to the yard for what ever reason i have 24hrs notice? Obviously if she were to ill to go i wouldnt expect notice but just if she changed her mind about that day itwould be nice to have some notice so i can organise to do him myself :). I will also request that rider insurance is in place :)

Exem

Visit site
I'm hoping to start sharing a horse soon and have just checked with SEIB regarding the BHS Gold Membership insurance for a sharer.

You are allowed to contribute a reasonable amount towards the upkeep of a horse.
eg ££ per week or month

It must not be a rental agreement - for example, where you would pay ££ per ride. That would be considered income for the owner.

I spoke to Steve at SEIB and he recommended you contact them if in doubt about any aspect of the cover provided.