Help needed regarding valuation for insurance from breeder

stroppymare10

New User
Visit site
I posted on the forum a few weeks ago regarding problems with my insurance company. My horse had to be put to sleep and she was insured for death and liability. They are now requiring a valuation of the horse, and have asked me to find a breeder or trainer who will do so, as they don't have there own valuers. I don't know of anyone personally as I just used her for hacking and don't know what to do, i wondered if anyone else can help me out, if they know of anyone. Thankyou!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Find yourself an AI, a breeder or an equine appraiser; someone with a business name, and ask them to do a written valuation on what your horse would have been worth. I do equine appraisals for horses over here and I always give comparables to show how I reached the valuation of the horse. I've never had an appraisal sent back or rejected.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
How weird, never heard of it being done that way before.
Unless horse was one of a multi group policy so no values stated, you usually have to insure each horse for a stated amount and regardless of whether the horse is worth more (but you kept the value down for cheaper premiums) that is the figure they will go by.
It will be hard for someone who didn't know the horse to give an accurate value unless you are only going by the breeding/previous competition experience but that would all be relative unless it was insured as a breeding prospect/competition horse; if it was only insured for hacking it wouldn't matter what breeding/results it had. I hope you get it sorted out.