Help needed with separation issue-kind of

TheFlash

New User
Visit site
Hiya, new to the forum but hoping you guys can help us out with a problem regarding separation anxiety- kind of.

So we have one Labrador who’s 5 years old (had him since a puppy) and 3 days a week we have a dog walker come in for an hour at around midday, whilst we are out at work/school.
Should add dog stays in his pen when we aren’t in (end of room fenced off with a crate and toys in etc.)
Now there is absolutely no issue with his pen and he willing sits in their even when we are in the house with the fence open, he’s also perfectly fine every morning when we leave/ when we go out etc.

So the problem arises (and we have only realised this because eldest daughter is at home more during the day due to timetable) that when the dog walker returns dog and puts him in his pen he is happy for a moment but then continues to bark once she has left- and will only stop if somebody lets him out and plays with him.- as most of us are out until 4ish and dog walker returns dog at half 12 we have no way of knowing how long this lasts when we aren’t there but he seems fine when somebody does arrive home.

So we obviously don’t want our dog all stressed out in the middle of the day- hence why daughter has been letting him out after his walk, but this can’t always be the case.

Clearly dog loves the dog walker very much- probably more then he loves us cheeky so and so. But does anyone have any tips on how we can curve this behaviour?

(Sorry for long post- didn’t realise how long my explanation would be aha)AB8C3FFD-18F2-4385-ABA3-0F8882065871.jpeg

Clodagh

Visit site
He's a handsome boy.
More expert people will be along, but could the dog walker give him a stuffed kong when she leaves so he has a tasty treat to chew while the adrenalin wears off?

TheFlash

New User
Visit site
Yes! That could be the answer, will relocate kong (pretty sure it is in the garden somewhere!) thank you, I just had no idea what to do, because he’s fine when we go out etc. I will try some frozen Kongs for after his walks and see if that helps.

TheFlash

New User
Visit site
Could he simply be barking only when your daughter is home because he’d rather be in her company, rather than shut away?
We did consider this, however if she is upstairs and dog does not see her downstairs, she still reports hearing barking then goes down to let him out. Also, and why I posted today, is because the dog walker also noted it today when we were all out.

Mister Ted

Visit site
Leaving the radio on could help him adjust to the quietness felt when the dog walker leaves.How does the dog walker leave him.? Does she/he give a firm command for him to lie down and stay, or make a fuss over him then leave. He also sounds as if all his energy hasnt been used up I wouldnt leave him alone with food but giving a good meal after his walk by the dog walker will settle him down more having a full stomach ready for a sleep.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It doesn't sound like separation anxiety to me, more like boredom and frustration, imo. I would try the Kong but I would also want to know more about how the dog walker leaves him - he should be used to the routine by now. I don't understand why OP thinks her dog is unaware that daughter is in the house, just because she is upstairs!

MissTyc

Visit site
My dogs would be very upset to be locked away while someone is in the house, even though when they're not locked away they often choose to sleep in a different room anyway. Right now I'm in my home office, I heard big dog get onto my bed in the bedroom upstairs earlier and I can spy terrier sun bathing outside. They don't want interaction or attention, but they do want to have the options, and they have learned that if we are out there are no available options but if someone is in then there can be available options. Does your dog need to be locked away when someone is in the house?

Also agree with kong / chew, but it may only occupy him for as long as it takes to eat. For a lab, I would assume 2-3 minutes!

Sandstone1

Visit site
Not very helpful to a new poster. Lots of people have dogs and don't allow them the run of the house.
Its a genuine question. I understand confining a dog when its alone but if someone is in the house leaving it shut away seems unfair.
my dogs are part of the family and I dont understand why you would have a dog and then keep it isolated.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Not very helpful to a new poster. Lots of people have dogs and don't allow them the run of the house.
I dont understand why you have liked posts from other people saying pretty much the same as I said but you only replied negatively to mine.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Because dogs need to learn that they can be on their own for short periods whether they can see someone or not, without their world collapsing. There are lots of unhappy dogs out there because no one taught them to deal with low level stress from a young age, said owners thinking they were being 'kind'. Then dog freaks out if it has to stay in vets or at kennels.

If the daughter is studying or doing teenager things, she may not want a dog dropping a ball in her lap or trying to climb all over her.

The dog sounds like he has a perfectly nice life, he's hardly 'locked away' in part of the living room.

My own two whine/moan a lot when I come home from work but I need 15/20 minutes to decompress before I start the evening's walking/training etc. Their heads don't fall off because I don't rush straight to them. Sometimes I even have my dinner first, because it's me out earning to pay the bills.

Agree that walker needs to make a positive association with her leaving, a Kong or something similar would be ideal.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Because dogs need to learn that they can be on their own for short periods whether they can see someone or not, without their world collapsing. There are lots of unhappy dogs out there because no one taught them to deal with low level stress from a young age, said owners thinking they were being 'kind'. Then dog freaks out if it has to stay in vets or at kennels.

If the daughter is studying or doing teenager things, she may not want a dog dropping a ball in her lap or trying to climb all over her.

The dog sounds like he has a perfectly nice life, he's hardly 'locked away' in part of the living room.

My own two whine/moan a lot when I come home from work but I need 15/20 minutes to decompress before I start the evening's walking/training etc. Their heads don't fall off because I don't rush straight to them. Sometimes I even have my dinner first, because it's me out earning to pay the bills.

Agree that walker needs to make a positive association with her leaving, a Kong or something similar would be ideal.
M y dogs dont pester me. They are happy to

My dogs are happy to be with me but calm and quiet and settled. They are not constantly pestering me.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
My own two whine/moan a lot when I come home from work but I need 15/20 minutes to decompress before I start the evening's walking/training etc
That's rather sad.

Can't you interact with your dogs without 'walking or training' them? Aren't they allowed to bumble freely around near you whilst you get on with getting your evenning meal ready etc?

Saying hello to the dog is a highlght of returning to the house in my life. Maybe it's only a quick 'hello' before I crack on with other stuff and he poodles off happily, but I can't imagine sidelining him til I was in the mood.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Of course I say hello to them. No, I don't let them bimble around while I make food. They have their mealtimes, I have mine. They have lots of sofa time and are very well travelled, they run on the beach and through the forest.
I spend an inordinate amount of time with them one on one. If I'm not at work, I'm with them, they are my life, so please pardon me an hour or so to myself occasionally. I have no social life. I miss birthdays and weddings. Many friends have given up on me. I changed my job and moved house and took a pay cut to accommodate them.
And in between I try to help people with their own dogs :)
People are shocked to hear how old they are, as they act and look years younger, so it's hardly an ordeal for them, being kept the way they are.
If I was to go and let them out immediately if I was in a grump from work or whatever, I wouldn't consider that very fair, personally, dogs are incredibly affected by mood/vibes.

Sandstone it's great that your dog is so well-adjusted, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that all dogs are different :)

{97702}

Visit site
For the OP - your dog is barking when he knows your daughter is home and he is shut away from her. I can understand she doesn’t necessarily want him around all the time, but if he is shut away (rather than choosing to be in his own space) then he will object as most dogs would.

I’m lucky with greyhounds, I come home from work and they hoon around for 5 minutes then settle down & ignore me 😊 Although five and a half stone of greyhound doing circuits around a smallish garden is always amusing to watch 😂

Clodagh

Visit site
I dont understand why you have liked posts from other people saying pretty much the same as I said but you only replied negatively to mine.

Sorry, not deliberate, it was more the way you said it. I don't have mine shut away when I am at home either, but sometimes while my son has been on study leave the pup has been crated while he has been at home. Ours are all shut through the back of the house during the day anyway, so are not with us all the time. I am usually through the back too but if I go to the front they don't come with me until the evening.

Bellaboo18

Visit site

I can't imagine doing anything before rushing to say hello to my dog let alone having my dinner :(

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I can't imagine doing anything before rushing to say hello to my dog let alone having my dinner :(
I deliberately don't interact with my dogs until I've come in, taken my shoes and coat off, put my handbag down, taken my flask and lunchbox etc into the kitchen. Then, when I'm ready, I greet them and play with them.