Help needed with separation issue-kind of

fankino04

Visit site
I think it really depends on the dog for whether they should be greeted and fussed over as soon as you walk in the door or left a bit to show them fuss only happens when they are calm, my friend had been having problems with her rescue gsd and one of the things that they had to change ASAP was her hubby fussing the dog when she jumps on top of him as soon as he walks through the door, simple changes with her to encourage relaxed calm behaviour have stopped the jumping, stopped her destroying the house when they are out, made her easier to walk past squirrels and lots of other things, my 2 on the other hand are total dopes, they meet me calmy at the door, get a head scratch when I come in then go and lie down until I decide its feed time, walk time, play time or whatever. In response to why the dog might be in the pen when daughter is in the house maybe op is trying to get dog into a regular routine and if daughter is not normally home in the afternoon then maybe they want the dog to stick to their routine so it's easier when things go back to normal. I also agree with a Kong or something similar. It's good for dogs to know how to be separate from us sometimes, I have felt horrible for the last few weeks confining Ash to the small part of the hallway as he was on "box rest" I don't know how either of us would have coped if he spent that time upset and agitated wanting to be with us.

{97702}

Visit site
It’s funny, it wasn’t until I read JennBaggs reply that I realised this is what I do too! I get home, open the back door, dogs hurl out into the back garden, quick glance to make sure they are all ok/sound then I shut them outside while I get changed, grab a drink, put my work stuff away. I’ve never really thought about it before, but both they and I need 5 minutes to calm down before I say hello

Roxylola

Visit site
I've always said a brief hello and let my dogs out when I get in. So much so that now when they have access to the garden all day long at least one always goes out for a wee as I am walking through the door. Actually one of the things with dealing with separation anxiety is to keep returns low key - I have one dog with separation anxiety and a spaniel who is prone to widdling when she experiences any sort of strong emotion so I tend not to encourage them to be too excited

Clodagh

Visit site
To those people who feel that it is imperative to interact with their dogs the second they enter the house, do you never return home and need a wee immediately?

My four all come to the loo with me anyway. It can get a little crowded. I do interact with them when I come home , they bring gifts and I rescue them 😀

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
To those people who feel that it is imperative to interact with their dogs the second they enter the house, do you never return home and need a wee immediately?
Yes.

I gallop through the kitchen (where the dog is confined to) en route to the downstairs loo, saying ‘Hi dog, lovely to see you, but I need a wee’ and the dog says ‘Hi mum, lovely to see you, but I need a wee’ and he takes himself off to the garden.

Bladders emptied, we touch base again, he gets his ears ruffled, and the welcomes are done. Just how intensive are these dog/human interactions that folk find so demanding that they put them off til they are able to cope with them?

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We have a baby gate across the front door (to save the post mainly), and when I come in, they both jump up like they haven’t seen me for at least a year. I say hi guys, wait til they’re quiet, open gate, go straight to kitchen and open back door. They wander off in the garden and I sort myself out.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Yes.

I gallop through the kitchen (where the dog is confined to) en route to the downstairs loo, saying ‘Hi dog, lovely to see you, but I need a wee’ and the dog says ‘Hi mum, lovely to see you, but I need a wee’ and he takes himself off to the garden.

Bladders emptied, we touch base again, he gets his ears ruffled, and the welcomes are done. Just how intensive are these dog/human interactions that folk find so demanding that they put them off til they are able to cope with them?
The Westie used to bark and bark when I came home, which I find intensely irritating, especially after a long hard day at the office. Juno used to jump up at me when I came in. Neither of these behaviours happen now, but they're still immensely happy to see me, as I am them, but I make them wait, it's also about impulse control.

Roxylola

Visit site
Just how intensive are these dog/human interactions that folk find so demanding that they put them off til they are able to cope with them?
I have a spaniel, everything is intense! Seriously no separation anxiety whatsoever, but she'd crawl under my skin to get closer to me if she could. It's not that her greetings are manic, I just don't indulge and encourage her excitement, bear in mind I get the same greeting if I go to the loo on my own lol

Clodagh

Visit site
your loo is definitely bigger than mine lol!

Well I leave the door open for the latecomers! And the pup tries to sit on my lap.:D
My son had a stonking hangover on Friday. Apparently while he was hanging over the bowl, deciding whether or not to be sick, they all went in with him and puppy even hung her head over the bowl too, to see what he was looking at. (Or to offer moral support).