Help Needed

maybs124

Visit site
Horse is on box rest and has started rushing into her stable not out

Any tips on how to prevent this have tried a dually head collar nd have tried carrots to keep her attention

Should I seek professional help?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Shut the door, get her to the door, make her back up, so that you can open the door, then let her in. I would stand aside and let her go into the box on her own after the door has been opened, rather than being squashed, while she is on box rest.

be positive

Visit site
So stop her by having the door shut,so that she can't get up speed before the doorway.
Also spend some time teaching her to step forward and backwards one step at a time ensuring she learns to wait for your cue to move, it will require a bit of patience but is a useful tool in the box for any owner, if she picks it up quickly which many do she will be able to walk in one step at a time and may be something to keep her interest while on box rest.
Make sure there is no external reason for her rushing, is door open wide enough, is there plenty of bedding and or matting to the door, is she in a hurry for a feed that is waiting or has another horse has threatened her as she went past, all would make a horse rush and there may be another I have not thought of.

maybs124

Visit site
Also spend some time teaching her to step forward and backwards one step at a time ensuring she learns to wait for your cue to move, it will require a bit of patience but is a useful tool in the box for any owner, if she picks it up quickly which many do she will be able to walk in one step at a time and may be something to keep her interest while on box rest.
Make sure there is no external reason for her rushing, is door open wide enough, is there plenty of bedding and or matting to the door, is she in a hurry for a feed that is waiting or has another horse has threatened her as she went past, all would make a horse rush and there may be another I have not thought of.
She is probably waiting for her feed yes so I don’t know how to stop that though?

Shay

Visit site
Walk to the closed door. Stop. Back up a pace. Open the door. Walk forward. She can't see the open space and rush for it. You need to teach basic manners too - she needs to stand where she is put Not push past you or barge through you. It is going to take a little time - and it sounds like you might benefit from some more experienced help.

Myloubylou

Visit site
Is her hay and food in the stable? I had this with my youngster, rude and dangerous. Needs ground work to instil that should move when and where you want not go through. I found her better to feed outside her box so she didn’t barge towards her bowl.

maybs124

Visit site
Is her hay and food in the stable? I had this with my youngster, rude and dangerous. Needs ground work to instil that should move when and where you want not go through. I found her better to feed outside her box so she didn’t barge towards her bowl.
Her food is never in the stable anymore we give it her after :/ she jumps even if the door is opened last minute

Twohorses

Visit site
What they all said.

like who?

If you are in a boarding situation, ask the BO, ask a fellow boarder with a lot of QUALITY horse experience, ask your vet.

If you're not in a boarding environment or you are in one that does not have a trainer available, call the nearest well respected training facility and ask them for the name of someone to help.

You need to get help for yourself and the horse before you get hurt and the horse needs rehabbed for the bad habits it is learning to get away with:)