Help ! Novice or amateur

Katie_lew

Visit site
I am going to a show and there are 2 types of ridden hunter classes.
one is novice ridden hunter and the other is Amateur ridden Hunter.

My mare has done 4-5 ridden hunter classes before with nice results so im not sure what class i should so as im not sure what the real diffrence is between them. i have also included a picture incase it helps :)

Thank you in advance to anyone that replys and sheds some light.

Shes on the right :)

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
A novice class will have certain restrictions, either not to have won x amount of prize money or not to have won x amount of classes, read the schedule to see what it is for this show and if you are eligible. The amateur class will usually be restricted to riders that are not professionally employed with horses or sometimes horses that are not professionally produced.

I should think your horse could do either class as a show which puts on both these classes is likely to have a fairly generous limit to the novice, if the horse is older, blemished in any way or shows wear and tear the amateur class may be your best option.

jrp204

Visit site
Generally a Novice class will state 'horse not to have been placed in any other Hunter class' or words to that effect, so i would enter the Amateur class. If you have had success previously there will always be someone who will kick up if they think you are in the wrong class.

Katie_lew

Visit site
Yes thats were i got confussed because it doesn't say any of that just the devide between Novice and Amateur. She has been placed twice once with a 1st and once with a 3rd the others last season she didt get in the top few.
so i mean its all very low key but you right about people kicking up a fuss which is why i thought i best ask.
She does have a very small splint (never been spotted) and she is 13. we have inly ever done 4 ridden hunters before so im thinking maybe the amateur ??????? or do you think the previous 1st place changes that ??

be positive

Visit site
As she is 13 I would do the amateur class, most judges will put up a young horse in the novice class over an older one as by her age she should be beyond the novice classification and in open classes.

humblepie

Visit site
Don't know about the hunter world but in the affiliated riding horse/hack world, a novice is defined as not having won a first prize of £25 or more before the first of January in the current year. If there is no specific wording on the schedule then your first won't exclude you. I would say probably go for the amateur because of the horse's age rather than anything else.

Ah be positive - we were typing at the same time!

Katie_lew

Visit site
HAHAH really that's cool. oh god i was going to say not the hunter as i just mentioned in my last post she has that small splint hahahahah :D

She you there then :)