Help oh wise Horse and Hounders - Dog Re-homing

zip

Visit site
Hi there I'm hoping you can help me. My elderly uncle has recently had to go into hospital as he's so poorly so unable to carry on caring for his 7 year old Jack Russell dog. My parents have been looking after him but they're elderly and don't want another dog. We've called a few of the local dog homes but they are full. So I was hoping that one of you might have some ideas ? We are near Warwickshire/Leicestershire. Bertie is a very lovely little dog, he's also great with small children. Hope someone on here might be able to help me...Thanks so much for reading.

bex1984

Visit site
*waves at zip - hope you're well?*

Would any of the local rehoming centres rehome him from your parents' home rather than taking him into kennels? Off the top of my head, there's Dogs Trust at Kenilworth, Leicester animal aid at huncote, East Midlands dog rescue at enderby/Narborough. Maybe ask at vets? Good luck, he sounds adorable.

Luci07

Visit site
If your uncle wants to carry on owning the dog after his hospital stay, then have you thought about contacting the cinnamon trust for help? It is a charity specifically to help elderly people with their dogs so they might be able to help wth a foster and then help with walks etc later.

Alec Swan

Visit site
From what I can make of the Cinnamon Trust, their assistance always seems to be tied in to signed-up legacies. Approach with extreme caution, would be my advice.

Alec.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He sounds lovely, have you got a photo? I'm sitting on my hands here because I would offer a home but I fear that the current resident 12yo JRT may be too set in his solitary ways to accept another dog. We have always had 2+ dogs before, but he's been on his own for 18 months after the old girl was pts. We're about 2 hours away.

Fingers crossed that you get something sorted more locally, but if you get stuck, we could perhaps try a canine introduction? It'd be a country home, is he good with horses and sheep?

honetpot

Visit site
Do not rule out FB or Preloved. Local vets notice board. I got my last dog off FB. I went over and met her in her own home the week before we collected her and as she came from a local FB page her old owners can see any pics I post.
We have a local small animal charity that will foster in her own home until she can find the right home, if you look on Preloved I think there is one near Leicester.

zip

Visit site
waves at Bex omg how are you ?
Thanks for all the advice cinnamon trust would not be an option as my uncle is going to live with my parents who just won't have the time for him (they're currently looking after him)
Tiddlypom he was living in the Cotswolds in a tiny village surrounded by horses and sheep however I have no idea if he,s trustworthy around them. Although he used to go for a little trot around the village on his own and my uncle never got any complaints. Ponies in the field adjacent to the garden so I would say hes pretty used to seeing them. Do you want to meet him? Pm me ? :)

zip

Visit site
Do not rule out FB or Preloved. Local vets notice board. I got my last dog off FB. I went over and met her in her own home the week before we collected her and as she came from a local FB page her old owners can see any pics I post.
We have a local small animal charity that will foster in her own home until she can find the right home, if you look on Preloved I think there is one near Leicester.
Thanks for that info !

brightmount

Visit site
For the last 2 years I have been a transport volunteer for an organisation that helps rescue charities move dogs around the country, as a result of which I can recommend a couple of rescues you might start with. The advantage of rehoming through a reputable rescue is that the home will be thoroughly home checked and followed up, with rescue back up meaning if the new owners circumstances change, the dog will go back to be responsibly rehomed, not passed on without checks being made etc.

Chrissy Marshall of Angels Small Paws Dog Rescue rehomes small breed dogs, and they are based in the East Midlands. Geography isn't really an issue with rescue as they do have transport arrangements such as the group I'm involved with. Another really good rescue is Mutts with Friends based near Bristol. If you need any more suggestions, either they will be able to refer you or get back to me if you need to.