HELP!!!! One for the guys

jpw92

New User
Visit site
Hey all, just looking for some advice, after being lucky and having "comfy" horses I now have a lets say bouncy and springy mare :) now i wouldn't mind bouncy but it does get sore on a certain part of the male anatomy :eek: I have been riding for 5 years and haven't had this problem til now, it seems to be a case of "support" as pain only occurs when she is having "one of those days" any help/advice would be fab :) (put it rather politely :p)

iconique

Visit site
Assuming I'm reading the support bit right!!!

Husband recommends the Equetech short things! They apparently keep everything in place and don't cause ridges.

I also find when I'm teaching that most men have problems due to tilting forward, so we usually work on balance and sitting trot to keep sat upright, which also solves usually solves the problem. :-D

Last edited:

jpw92

New User
Visit site
thanks all, not sure about the commando thing though XD shall have a look at the equetech undies and also look to see whats in sports direct :) had a session of the much loved "tronter" (trot/canter) which has reminded me why im looking for support!! XD

scewal

Visit site
My 5 year old was complaining today that things were getting a little squashed down there. So will be watching with interest lol!

Tickles

Visit site
Hubby uses the riding undies sometimes. Would also recommend jods over jeans/whatever to avoid too much seamage in that general region.

Also, keep in mind that not all saddles fit all riders. It may well be that if you are at a riding school you will find that some horses saddles are just uncomfy for you... they can be for ladies too!

If it is your own mare then worth getting saddle fitter out after trying different undies/a lesson or two.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I also find when I'm teaching that most men have problems due to tilting forward, so we usually work on balance and sitting trot to keep sat upright, which also solves usually solves the problem. :-D

Quite right! And my former SJ trainer once told me that the reason there were more men at TOP level than women was that THEY learned much more quickly not to go forward over a jump too soon!:D

zippo

Visit site
I well remember a "beginner"[male],who had just had his first lesson ,involving a trot.
After he got off the horse[forget the word dismount],he crept across to us ,bent over,clutching himself and moaning"Oh poor posterity"

jpw92

New User
Visit site
Saddle is 18 inch and reasonably accommodating :) I normally ride in jods or breeches which have helped the sore arse, now just blue balls!! I have had a chat with my instructor re my position and *issue*, she said that my position wasn't too bad and it's causing the issue, she rode the grumpy lady and has said she has a very active walk/trot and is rather bouncy, she has suggested certain types of undies but she also comes from the era of "men don't wear jodhpurs, they wear breeches" with the breeches being the traditional ones :S have ridden in a 14 inch saddle recently which was a BIG NO NO and haven't jumped in a while so will probably be very painful XD any more advice more than welcome :)

pippixox

Visit site
bought my dad a sheep skin 'seat saver' for christmas, you just put on the saddle. he now finds it much more comfortable! as he rides my tb who has high withers so the saddle isnt very forgiving!

jpw92

New User
Visit site
bought my dad a sheep skin 'seat saver' for christmas, you just put on the saddle. he now finds it much more comfortable! as he rides my tb who has high withers so the saddle isnt very forgiving!

those are really good :) act as a nice cushion, well worth the money and a good present on your part :D

midogrey

Visit site
As a bloke who has been riding 45 years and still intact I would say it's all about developing a light seat and good position, saddle etc can make some difference but at end of day I was always taught that any contact with saddle should always be as light as possible when jumping, trotting etc, as other posts said, you learn pretty quick!