Help!!! Plaiting problems! Any tips appreciated!

LizScott

Visit site
Hi! I've recently started competing regularly in dressage comps and obviously want to look our best so have been plaiting my mare's mane.

Trouble is that it always looks rubbish!! I'm having to use bands but I think it looks a little unprofessional (especially when I look around the warm up arena) and would love to know how to plait properly with thread. I've read a couple of things that say I should plait the thread into the mane and others that don't - every time I've tried though, the plait just looks like a bunched up bit of mane!

Her mane is nicely pulled, I always use water and gel, tight plaits etc but although they now look even (a lot of fiddling!), they never all lie properly.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Mel85

Visit site
I plait with thread - I plait the section of mane and then fold the plait twice. Then I put the needle through from the bottom (with knot tied in end of thread) then I go round to the left and up through from the bottom twice and then the same to the right, and then finish off by going through from the top to the bottom so that the thread finishes tucked under the plait.

Simple as that!!! I can't find any close up pics of my plaits, but they are neat and tidy and quick to do.

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
I plait, band the bottom of each plait (I do the whole mane in one go before I start sewing), then put the needle through the end of the plait (near the band) and sew the plait up into an ovally shape. Everyone does their plaits differently, but if you are used to plaiting with bands, then this method should work for you.

Eccles

Visit site
Well I prefer plaiting with thread and don't use bands at the bottom, just plait tightly, secure with thread and then loop under twice finishing as other poster does with thread underneath. I do plait with bands if in a hurry but i don't think it looks as professional, and doesn't seem to save that much time! (for me) Just down to practice I think and not being too critical, you can always undo the odd plait later. GL
smile.gif

machannah

Visit site
Tips for plaiting!

1. Dont make the mane too wet, nothing worse as you cant get hold of it between your fingers (call me gross but I actually use saliva!)

2. If you really want to use thread, then try half and half. Plait the mane and use the band to secure the end and then use thread to finish and tie the rest

3.Plait as close to the end of the mane as you can, you will get cramp but its worth it (no spikey bits) and when you finish the end dont just put the band round it, try and finish the end so it is folded back on itself, again you can use the band to tuck the whispy bits in

4.And finally always plait to make the most of your horses neck! It makes all the difference
grin.gif

Eccles

Visit site
I haven't tried that you see - half bands half thead. Snipping out bits of mane lol - have you seen my horses mane or something?
grin.gif
No, seriously I think it just depends what you are used too, will give your idea ago though
smile.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
Yep - dirty manes are easier to plait. You need to get it as tight as possible at the top and I (going to sound horrible) spit on the end of the plait, rub it between my fingers to make it stick together and then fold it back on itself and stick the band on. I think band and thread is a good idea. However I only ever use bands and as long as they are really tight they look fine.

EmmaChal

Visit site
When I was full of eager enthusiasm-I always plaited with thread, but with a band to secure plait at end, now I am lazy and use bands only....so much quicker...
For showing however I would use thread as traditionally correct/

Don't plait a clean mane-and I use a cheap hair wax- whatevers on offer in Boots/Supadrug-put a blob on section of mane to plait, smooth through to include all stray hair, seperate into 3, then start plaiting very tightly at root of hair -I find standing on a box so you are above neck is good as well. Plait as far as you can go then band, tucking end bits up as you secure. I either roll, or fold up (usually about 3 rolls) and secure with band.