Help please! 3.5t horsebox - 'build up vehicle report'

cold_feet

Visit site
A long term reader, but I rarely post. Would very much like some advice on dealing with DVLA.

In June I bought a 3.5t Renault Master horsebox, registered in 2009 and custom coachbuilt as a horsebox last November. Apparently before that it was a butchers van.

When we did the deal, I was given the new keeper tear off slip from the registration document and the seller filled in the relevant bit to send to DVLA. She said something about having to declare change of use, but I didn't really give it too much thought.

I have now had a letter from the DVLA asking me to complete a built up vehicle report - it asks for details I have no knowledge of (eg serial number and receipts for various parts). I phoned DVLA to check what this was all about, to be told it is not possible to reclassify a 3.5t vehicle as a horsebox, and it would have to be classified as HGV. Surely that can't be right? I have been asked to send photos, but am uneasy now that I have been caught out, and have a lorry I can't drive and can't sell. Hope someone here can put my mind at rest!

Many thanks for reading this!

cundlegreen

Visit site
Maybe go back to the firm that did the conversion? They must have a record of the work and spec of the lorry. My 7.5 ton lorry started life as a curtainsider, then I took off that body, added a box van and made a horsebox from it. I don't remember it being complicated, just said it was now a horsebox.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well over 50% of the staff you speak to at DVLA will not recognise a 3.5t as a horsebox, it will usually be called a 'van'. Many conversions or even purpose built are down as this on the reg doc, some however ARE allowed through as horsebox.

Blame DVLA - and get info from the original builder of the box

Spottyappy

Visit site
When I tried to change mine to a horsebox, the dvla themselves said live stock carrier was the closest they could do, but they didn't think it necessary.this was a few years ago.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Interesting thread as I bought my 3.5t van conversion in December and I know nothing about what's being said in this thread.
As far as I'm aware mine is still classed as a van, as mine isn't a coachbuilt horsebox, just the smaller van conversion.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thank you. Do you think others are 'van' because they've never been notified as changed to DVLA? Does anyone know what are the rules? Are there any?

Mine is still a 'van' as per several others I know of locally, all had pushed to get horsebox, horse transporter etc but DVLA having nowt.
Mine is purpose built and not a conversion, if this helps?

WelshD

Visit site
...about, to be told it is not possible to reclassify a 3.5t vehicle as a horsebox,

Then I wouldn't reclassify it. Everyone I know who has a 3.5t has it down as a van on the log book

I would do one of two things

1) get back to the DVLA and say 'no you are quite correct a 3.5t cannot be reclassified as a horsebox. The horsebox sellers were confusing the issue with larger vehicles, sorry to waste your time'

2) send photos to the DVLA and say that as they can see its still essentially a van therefore you believe that at 3.5t it doesn't need reclassifying as per their own advice

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
mine is still down as a panel van....

what did the seller give to dvla in the first instance to say it was changed? surely they do this pretty regularly?

cold_feet

Visit site
An update - a positive outcome! I sent photos and spoke again to DVLA, making it clear I had not asked for reclassification, I just wanted the vehicle registered in my name. The person I spoke to was happy to leave it at that. I have received my V5C and am now a proud owner of a Panel Van (body type) Light Goods Vehicle (taxation class).

A word of warning to anyone in a similar situation - don't mention the term horsebox. The DVLA do not recognise that term, and there is no category for that or the recognised term 'livestock carrier' for a Light Goods Vehicle. Stick to Panel Van!