HELP please every single turnout rug is wrecked

neddynesbitt

Visit site
Please can you advise which rugs you use when you have very playful boys in the field.

I have Amigo, Mark Todd, Rhino & weatherbeeta rugs and they have been destroyed.

My lad was wearing his brand new Amigo today & came in with a 5" tear across the back.

My friends lad joins in just as much & his rugs aren't really damaged too much but I don't know if she is just lucky or her rugs are better. I am too scared to go and splash out on yet another brand new rug for the same thing to happen.

My friend has a Bucas (slight frays in places but no tears & tail flap still attached!!)

Fal Cheiftan with detachable hood (that has been torn off, zip stitching gave way) but the actual rug only has very small tears (about the size of my little finger nail)

Fal viking (12 years old) and it has absolutely no damage at all.

Now is this because it is virtually indestructible or has she been incredibly lucky
confused.gif

I am so frightened to spend £300 on a new one to find that too gets wrecked & my friend has just been fortunate.

We can't separate the boys as we only have a mares & geldings winter & summer fields.

Izzwizz

Visit site
The Fal rugs are made of very tough fabric and the others you mention are not of a heavy denier. I would suggest maybe getting your rugs repaired and making them do for now. As you say, if you spends loads on a new rug(s) it may be a total waste.

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
I know exactly where u r coming from, everyday my horse comes in with another rip on his rug. The other horse in his field has no rips on his rug. Most of mine are Weatherbeeta whereas all the other horses are Premier Equine. I refuse to spend lots on a rug only for it to be ripped. Luckily my mum repairs them for me but it's driving me mad. Im down to the last one of 7 now. The only one not to get ripped in a Shires one, but sure if it's the rug or just luck tho.

By rips I dont mean a little tear, Im talking strips torn down the sides...

fruity

Visit site
I feel you to. All 3 of mine have wrecked their rugs over the past month. My mare has a half neck fal Pro med weight on and the back of it has a big rip,my old boy has a full neck fal rug on with the tail flap ripped and my young welsh has a Amigo l/w on and that has loads of rips in lots of places but it's still oddly enough not leaking! have decided to keep it on him this winter til it dies,just no point in changing it as he isn't really a rug wearer generally but he needs something in this weather as he's dropped off a fair bit. I am going to replace the 2 skinnies with full neck DH med weights each,the Fals cost me a fortune and the Amigo ones i get arn't mega cheap either.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I would go for cheap and cheerful - weatherbeata rugs are quite a deep fit and you could buy at least 3 for a similar price you guys are banding about £200 quid is a huge amount of money for a turn out rug and tbh i usually only keep them for 2 to 3 seasons as i never feel a to is the same after cleaning or reproofing.

I make the repairs myself using a mix of sailing equipment and the repair kits you can get off the net,.

AMW

Visit site
the masta chech teq ones are heavy and not to expensive, have a look on equestrian clearance.
My yearling has come in with a ripped rug today
frown.gif
its a mark todd one which she is outgrowing but even still - grr)
I agree cheapand cheerful then if they get wrecked its not so bad

neddynesbitt

Visit site
Thanks so much for the replies got heavy rain coming now & the poor lad doesn't have one rug intact
frown.gif
I didn't know you could get cribox spray, I will give it a go & check out ebay for 2nd hand rugs as well

ISHmad

Visit site
Put a cheap rainsheet over the top of whatever rugs your horse is wearing. That way it's the rainsheet which will get ripped, and your horse will still be warm and dry underneath.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Don't waste money on second hand rugs - they are generally not as waterproof and quite a few people have been disappointed buying off ebay.

My boy has destroyed loads of heavyweight turnouts, as he has sweet itch so both rubs and plays with the others and frequently had rips.

With 650kg of horse hanging on with their teeth you need a tough fabric, I suspect that unless you got the better models some of your rugs were 600 denier and this is not good enough for thugs.

You want at least 1200 and 1800+ are the ones that will last

I rarely pay more than £80 for a rug, as when you have destructive horses its not worth it!

My thug is currently in one of these (i bought a smidge cheaper from eBay) 1680D
http://www.ellehoofhorseware.com/heavy-weight-delux-winter-turnout-rug-i7.html

My Fal chieftain currently has a wee rip - but that's only 1200D

The shires Stormcheeta are the toughest on the market at 2000D, but I hate combos and they stopped doing the one without combo. These eventually went on the stitching, but did not rip

Barleyboo

Visit site
I've given up buying expensive rugs as they don't seem to last much longer than the cheaper ones. At the moment we have a couple of £20 bargains from a Robinsons sale. They fit well, have never leaked and my horse is as warm as toast so I don't see the point of paying more. I bought them so I wouldn't be so annoyed when they got wrecked but this is their second winter of use (although I have done some minor repairs). The last 'expensive' rug I got lasted 1 week!

Hippona

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've given up buying expensive rugs as they don't seem to last much longer than the cheaper ones. At the moment we have a couple of £20 bargains from a Robinsons sale. They fit well, have never leaked and my horse is as warm as toast so I don't see the point of paying more. I bought them so I wouldn't be so annoyed when they got wrecked but this is their second winter of use (although I have done some minor repairs). The last 'expensive' rug I got lasted 1 week!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this....I used to buy amigos and have matching headcollars etc.
tongue.gif
.....got fed up of them being trashed so now I buy cheapo saxons from my local tack shop....I dont mind so much if they get trashed.

I also keep a tube of rug/tent repairer at the yard and if the rips are small enough you can do a reasonable repair. You can also stitch the rip up and then make it waterproof by smothering the stitching with rug repairer. Bit tramp looking I know, but I have 3 horses to clothe and so frankly, as long as it fits and doesnt leak I have given up on the 'style' aspect lol
grin.gif

sugarlump121

Visit site
my boys used to be in a group of 5 thugs lol! Summer was a nightmare as our fly rugs got trashed but in the winter we all used premier equine rugs and they seemed to stand up to the biting and pulling.

Kallibear

Visit site
Axiom!!!! This guy on ebay sells them cheap!

They come in a 1800denier (highest I could find) and so far have suvived the serial rug ripper in the field. They are also CHEAP! Axiom rug seller on ebay

The P&P is expensive but still works out cheap. Have a look in his shop - there's various deniers (for 600-1800) and weights, combo and standards.

I'd be inclined to get one thicker turnout then two lightweight (nofill) to go over the top, in the high denier. That way even if the top rug is ripped to shreds the under rug will still be protected.