Help please from parents of children who have ponies

zip

Visit site
Hi, I have just taken on a small pony on part loan for my daughter (age 6) She has been taking riding lessons for the past year and is pony mad. As she wants to do more than just riding I decided to find a small pony for her locally. Luckily we have struck gold, and found a very quiet 11.2 for her. We have been down a few times last week but she is very timid and when i suggest tacking pony up she says she doesnt want to ride. She happily grooms,mucks out and leads pony in school. I really don't want to push her so what do you suggest? Im thinking of tacking pony up tomorrow afternoon and bringing her into the school away from the bustle of the yard and people watching her and suggesting she has a little sit on her.

Horses are my big passion and I was over the moon when she wanted to ride but I don't want to be a pushy mum!!! Plus this pony is costing me money every week, although cheaper than her usual hour lesson. At the riding school she will happily have an hour lesson in front of loads of people on strange ponies!!! What shall I do?

Thanks for reading,

Zip

Spiritedly

Visit site
Has she sat on the pony at all? If the stables she road at is close enough maybe see if she can go on her old class with it.

jmb

Visit site
Do you no why she doesnt want to ride? You could see if she wants her instructor to be there and have a lesson on the pony? Maybe you could get a friend of hers to come to and they could take turns or friend could bring a pony? Say the pony would like to go for a nice ride? Im not sure what else to suggest, i can imagine your frustration at the situation but maybe it is just one that will take time.

Maisie2

Visit site
Does she usually have a group riding lesson? If so maybe she's feeling a bit out of it if she's now riding by herself perhaps she likes the security of being part of a group - and it's probably more fun! Perhaps you could arrange for her to join in group lessons for a little while until she feels more confident.

mulledwhine

Visit site
Is she embarrassed by the other people watching ? Are there other children on the yard that you could ' borrow' to ride pony first and then see if she wants to have ago?

Or maybe say, you dont have to ride, just sit on him and then get straight off again, once she is on she might feel a bit happier :)

Good luck :)

marmalade76

Visit site
Odd, I was pony mad as a child and couldn't wait to get on anything. My own children are not pony mad, but are always keen to get on as soon as a pony is in front of them.

Does she have any pony mad friends who could come along to the yard with you? A friend of mine has only one child who is not that keen on riding her pony until there is another child with them, then the element of competition seems to make her a lot more keen.

Jaycee

Visit site
Are there other children on the yard that you could ' borrow' to ride pony first and then see if she wants to have ago?

Or maybe say, you dont have to ride, just sit on him and then get straight off again, once she is on she might feel a bit happier :)

Good luck :)

I had the same problem with my son, I took the above approach, once my son saw other children riding his pony he soon changed his mind! Now he's so keen to ride he has started to ride my horse...his theory is that he can still ride and the other children still get to ride his!

zip

Visit site
Hi thanks for all your responses. Its a private yard so no other children but her twin brother comes with us. I think I will invite down one of her friends next week to see the pony and so she might want to "show off" if you know what I mean. She was very keen at first but maybe as she has always had a group lesson she feels a little under pressure. I will keep it all light hearted and see is she fancies a little sit on her tomorrow afternoon...thanks again !! :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Hi this is my first post, I agree with all above suggestions, but just a thought has she seen the pony ridden before? If not perhaps she is worried it may behave badly?

Littlelegs

Visit site
Sorry dumb phone, could you 'borrow' a more confident child to show how good he is to her? Failing that let her just spend time with pony & instead of starting with a ride get her to sit on whilst tied up to groom etc with you stood at side

OFG

Visit site
My son was (and still is) like this.

Was very keen to ride, got given a lovely pony and now I struggle to get him to do anything with her.

I have various cousins with a whole hoard of children who are clamoring to ride and the occasions when I have another child ride he is suddenly very interested to ride :rolleyes:

As others have said, try to get another child to the yard and you may find your daughter will 'show off' and be happy to get on board. Also see if you can get her to just sit on pony without going anywhere.

If others have any suggestions I would also like to hear them :D

Dubsie

Visit site
If she's missing the interraction with other kids when riding, if you have access to tranpsort or are thinking of transport I would suggest Pony club. You can always go along on foot to a couple of rallies to see what happens, and even join before you're able to take the pony along so you can participate in any on foot activities (such as stable management, badge training, tetrathlon training etc) and get to know some of the other chilrden

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Hi

I don't know if this helps..

I bought a Sec A for my girls (8 and 6) last August and they have been getting on really well. My 8 yr old has days/weeks recently where she is reluctant to ride, so I don't push it and we "do" pony instead, and maybe just youngest rides. Sometimes we just bring her in to pamper her and turn her out again. They still get pleasure from that, and they get to learn the responsibility/care side of things.

However, 8 yr old regained her enthusiasm today, rode really well, and says she wants to ride every day now. I think it's just how it is!

I'd just give it time, I'm sure it will all work out.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
She sounds a little overwhelmed, I would agree with getting some other kids to come along - she'll be dying to join in OR getting some kids to show off to! That might just break the ice for her!

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
could you ask her instructor down to give her a half hour lesson a couple of times a week? but as long as she is enjoying her interactive time with the pony her confidence will grow, and one day she will ask to ride! make sure the pony isnt too bright if not been ridden for a little while.

cambrica

Visit site
I sympathise with you knowing that 6 is a funny age. Older children you can perhaps talk through any such issues but she may not fully understand herself why she is reluctant to ride.
Inviting a school friend/s is a great idea.
Possibly when she was having lessons she had to ride to be close to the ponies but now thats not necessarily the case.
Also maybe try tacking up the pony and say your both taking her for a long walk out, be prepared with her hat and hope that riding back is a better option than walking.
Good luck and I hope its a phase that will pass soon.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
She sounds a little overwhelmed, I would agree with getting some other kids to come along - she'll be dying to join in OR getting some kids to show off to! That might just break the ice for her!

^^^ This. When friends come to see, dd1 is keen to ride!

What got my wavery daughter going today was doing a yard competition - nothing major, but she really enjoyed it. So maybe just doing something different?

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Mine (3&4) are like this, days when they are frantic to ride ( usually when it's vile weather, I'm shattered etc, ) and then other times not that bothered, the eldest loves pony club, & had a lesson with my trainer yesterday, & thought that was absolutely brilliant, I just try & keep it fun, having 2 generally means they both always ride as they don't want to be left out, so would echo the pp re: getting friends involved,

zip

Visit site
Thanks again for the messages, I will keep it fun and light hearted. She def wants to go down tonight and i will tack up and lead her into the school for a little walk round and suggest she sits on her for a bit, or ask her brother if he wants to. Next week i will invite one of her friends down. I don't want to start bringing kids down just yet until i check it with the owner. Not sure if she will be happy with that, but I'm hoping she will agree. Pony hasnt been ridden for a while so better put her body protector in the car!!! Zip

ellis9905

Visit site
My Daughter ( 7yr old) was very similar when we first got her pony, would ride at the riding school but would find excuses as home, i didnt push her,i let her build a bond and trust with the pony on the ground- now she trusts Ziggy 100% and rides as often as we can fit in with school, happily riding in our arena with me just sat at edge watching,

in our case she trusted the riding school ponies as in her mind they were "proven" as were at a riding school- but her own pony wasnt ( though hes a complete 100% pony) the pony had to prove himself to her and a relationship built- now theres no stopping her

i would say it will come in time

x

flying solo

Visit site
My little girl rode everyday when we were on a yard with older kids (she was 3) but loved riding and doing pc games with everyone. Maybe a move to another yard would motivate her again or trying to get an other child who has a pony to move to your yard so they can ride together. Pretty drastic but kids like to play together and it's much more fun.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
my daughter is 11 and still has days when she is apprehensive! then other days she'll amaze me and ask to ride the just backed pony instead of the safe and steady chap!!! I have found when she backs off from riding if she has a friend down to ride and see's them having fun on her pony she finds her enthusiasm again.:)