help please on buying a horse

leos_charm

New User
Visit site
hello I was hoping someone could give me some advice. my hubby and I have saved up to get a horse, we've been round yards in the area and found a lovely place where they have let us reserve a stable. the problem is I don't have a horse yet and I've no idea what sort of questions to ask when I enquire

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
What is your experience level?
Have you just had lessons or have you shared or loaned?
What sort of horses are you used to dealing with?
What do you intend to do with your new horse?

leos_charm

New User
Visit site
What is your experience level?
Have you just had lessons or have you shared or loaned?
What sort of horses are you used to dealing with?
What do you intend to do with your new horse?
I loaned in the past and had lessons. I wouldn't say I was overly confident but I don't like a plod either. I'd like to be able to go out hacking on bridlepaths really, not interested in competitions or anything like that

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
OK, so you need a happy hacker that is forward but safe. You don't want anything that is bad in traffic, spins if a pheasant pops out of a hedge, or naps when leaving the yard. You want something that is sensible in both company and alone. You also want all the basics (good to catch, lead, groom, pick out hooves etc...) in place.

Write a list of all of your 'must haves' and that will help you with your questions. I have also said to people selling that I need a horse that has X quality and if they think that their horse would suit me.

Think about the horses that you have known that suited you and look for something similar. There will be things that you can compromise on eg colour and breed (unless you are set on these, but they won't affect a horse's ability to hack).

Don't trust everything that a seller says, you need to see it for yourself. I personally like the horse to be turned out when I arrive at a viewing so that I can catch it/see it caught.

Don't be bowled over a by a pretty horse or one that seems like a bargain. Good, safe hackers have a value as they are in demand.

Most importantly, don't overhorse yourself either on the ground or under saddle. The wrong horse could destroy your confidence really quickly. Look for a horse that is already doing the job you want. Plus don't forget to Vet a potential purchase. :)

Last edited:

leos_charm

New User
Visit site
OK, so you need a happy hacker that is forward but safe. You don't want anything that is bad in traffic, spins if a pheasant pops out of a hedge, or naps when leaving that yard. You want something that is sensible in both company and alone. You also want all the basics (good to catch, lead, groom, pick out hooves etc...) in place.

Write a list of all of your 'must haves' and that will help you with your questions. I have also said to people selling that I need a horse that has X quality and if they think that their horse would suit me.

Think about the horses that you have known that suited you and look for something similar. There will be things that you can compromise on eg colour and breed (unless you are set on these, but they won't affect a horse's ability to hack).

Don't trust everything that a seller says, you need to see it for yourself. I personally like the horse to be turned out when I arrive at a viewing so that I can catch it/see it caught.

Don't be bowled over a by a pretty horse or one that seems like a bargain. Good, safe hackers have a value as they are in demand.

Most importantly, don't overhorse yourself either on the ground or under saddle. The wrong horse could destroy your confidence really quickly. Look for a horse that is already doing the job you want. Plus don't forget to Vet a potential purchase. :)
should I just ring them up and say this is my list of wants, does your horse meet that list? thankyou for your reply its very helpful

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
No that's a bit too clinical. You want a nice friendly discussion IMO. I've always opened the conversation with something along the lines of 'hello, my name is XXX and I'm calling about XXXX because I saw her advert on XXXXX and I'm wondering if she's still for sale?' Then if the answer is 'yes' you can say that you are looking for a safe hack that is suitable as a first horse and then ask some questions and listen carefully to their replies.

Hatts24

Visit site
I was also in your situation about 6 months ago! I was settled at a yard and finally ready to purchase my own horse.

I knew that I wanted something to have a bit of fun with, not a plod, but not dangerous (I have arthritis and a muscle condition and while I can ride, and have done for all my life, I do have to be sensible) but I wasn't sure what to ask or go for.

I looked a lot online and the best thing I can say is to call and have a chat with lots of sellers - you really get a feel for the owners.

The pony I ended up getting - I would probably have never really considered! I wanted a safe schoolmaster and ended up with a young/inexperienced/green 5YR old cob but I would not regret it one bit.

I saw his advert on preloved, phoned the owner and she was very easy to talk to and also very honest - be wary if they try to hide things. She mentioned right from the start that he bucked in the school but was ace out hacking. The best way to find out is to go and look and try out for yourself.

I fell off Merlin in the school when he bucked when I tried him out, but as the owner had said he was foot perfect out. I wouldn't recommend buying one you fall off normally (HA!) but it was the best decision I made as I really felt there was a lot of potential and he passed his vetting well, and 5 months later I've got the most brilliant pocket rocket pony and we now trust each other so much and the bucking has stopped in the school.

Basically, I would say, don't pigeon-hole yourself into one particular type of horse, ring people up, have a chat and also go and see them if you can! The more you see, the more you will get a feel and understanding for what YOU want.

Feel free to message me if you want to have a chat and I can tell you more about my experience of buying for the first time!

spacefaer

Visit site
Do you have an instructor or experienced friend who could help? It would be useful to have an experienced pair of eyes on the ground, so to speak, to save you wasting time (or scaring yourself) by looking at unsuitable horses?

You need to be able to read between the lines of adverts - what the selling ISN'T saying! All my horses tick every box listed by Faracat's very helpful post, but in no way would I consider selling any of them to you, as while they are safe to hack and easy to handle, they are not for a novice owner. You would find yourself considerably over-horsed very rapidly!

Denbob

Visit site
Agree with spacefaer, someone who can tell you to look with your head not your heart is invaluable. Especially if you're looking at a slightly lower budget you will likely come across horses who will tug on your heartstrings but might be wildly unsuitable - that's not to say you couldn't find a diamond in the rough, it happens, but it's an enormous gamble and imo not one I'd want to take in your shoes. It might be worth talking to your local riding club and seeing if there are any you can find through word of mouth.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It would be helpful to think of writing a horse wanted ad (which you are not going to post) listing the attributes that you want in a horse, what you definitely don't want and what you aren't too fussed about (colour? age?). Think about the height parameters you want and what you want to do with the horse. Rule out any ads that don't state that the horse currently does what you want a horse to do. Then ask an experienced friend to read any ads that you haven't ruled out, reading between the lines is a skill in itself.

When you have found a horse that you think might be suitable ring up the vendor - no texts/messaging etc unless by specific request, or you are likely to miss a good horse. Have the conversation that Faracat suggested, make sure that you check that the horse can/will do everything that you want your horse to do. If you haven't ruled the horse out at this stage, make an appointment to view asap. I once missed a potentially good horse because we were snowed in and I could not view until the roads were cleared. (It worked out well and the horse that I did view was exactly what I wanted).
Take your experienced friend/RI to the viewing, ask to see the horse ridden before you or your friend ride it. See the horse doing everything you want to do with your horse, including catching, grooming, tacking up, picking up feet etc. If you want to be able to hack your horse you MUST see it in traffic. Never go to view a horse on your own, even if you have to drag your non-horsey next-door neighbour/2nd cousin twice removed with you. Some vendors are *wierd*.

If there are are question marks, decide whether these are compromises you could make - there shouldn't be many in a first horse, really, if you have approached the weeding out process well.

Enjoy the whole process as far as possible. You will probably have some hilarious stories to tell before you finally find *your* horse.

ozpoz

Visit site
What is your height and weight? That is a good starting point as you need a horse that will carry you comfortably.

leos_charm

New User
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies and help. I rang around a few adverts that caught my eye and had a chat with each person . I have found a lovely horse that I hope will be with me for a long time