Help please- Sasddle related, is this fair?

kirstie

Visit site
One year ago, I bought a brand new saddle for £2000 from a master saddlers who shall remain nameless.

It is an Albion Platinum Ultima and I bought it because of the adjustable tree, so that if my horse changed shape, it could be adjusted. I was intending for the saddle to last a long time, £2000 is huge amount of money to me and it was not a decision I took lightly.

One year forward, I have been having issues. I have had the saddler back out twice, to be told that my horse has changed shape so dramatically, that the saddle is no longer suitable and I need another type!
It is sitting to the left as it is not sitting on her back well anymore and she is clearly not happy.

The new version of what she would apparently need is £1850. They could sell my saddle, for me, I would lose 35% commission to them and would have a fair whack to pay out for new. I am skint.

They could part ex for new, again, would end up costing me about an extra £400, which I don't have. (please remeber that I paid out £2k a year ago for something they said would last)

OR they came up today with a saddle that is approx 5 yrs old, retails brand new at £1800 and is not in great condition. (Mine is in excellent condition) so is worth about £1k if being very generous.
They are offering me a straight swap on this.

I feel like I am in a lose lose situation and must have MUG written across my forehead.

Am I being silly or am I right to feel like I am being taken for an idiot?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Get a different saddler to make an assessment of the saddle.

I never believe it when people say the horse has changed so drastically.........

HarlequinSeren

Visit site
Definitely get a second opinion, and see where to go from there. Doesn't sound right to me that a specially adjustable saddle can't be made to fit the horse after just 1 year of use, has your horse really changed shape that much?

zaminda

Visit site
I would also be wanting a second opinion. For me the fact that the horse has changed so much in a year is strange, how old is he? Has he done hugh amounts of schooling, and did he have lots of muscle wastage previously? Sounds odd it is sitting to one side as well if I'm honest. I would also be contacting Albion, as the whole reason behind why you bought the saddleis it was supposed to be adjustable, and it now sounds like its not really adjustable enough! They may also have had comments about this saddler in the past. Personally, I would not be buying another saddle off these people.

kirstie

Visit site
I broke my back 2 years ago and had to have 8 months off riding, so my horse had a long holiday and was rather fat!

The saddle I had then was an SLK but too tight and when I got it checked, I was told not to ride in it.
I then made the decision to get the Platinum Ultima, as I was moving to a comp yard and would be starting to ride properly again, with the assurance of an adjustable saddle being changed as she did.

She has duly lost fat and built muscle and looks fab but the saddle isn't right and she is not going well in it. When I ride bareback, or when the saddle has just been reflocked, she is like a different horse, so am pretty sure that the saddle is the issue.

I resent being made to feel grateful for the opportunity of a 5 year old saddle, that costs less to buy than mine brand new now, in exchange for my lovely 1 year old beautiful saddle.

I really don't want to deal with these saddlers anymore, I have been trying to contact another saddler this afternoon but I can't get hold of them.
They do have a bad reputation and I wouldn't be the first person to have a new saddle not fit after one year.

wench

Visit site
I was sold a saddle last year that never could have fitted my horse, and has no chance of ever fitting new horse.

If the damned thing ever sells, I will have lost about £1k on it. Not impressed at all.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I was sold a saddle last year that never could have fitted my horse, and has no chance of ever fitting new horse.

If the damned thing ever sells, I will have lost about £1k on it. Not impressed at all.

Same here. Thankfully I only spent £600 on mine and sold it for £500. It was refitted three times in 9 months. Horse would rear when I took it anywhere near him and I hated riding in it as well. I was constantly having it checked and refitted, told it technically fit so there was no reason for the horse to dislike it. Awful saddler I wouldn't let within 100yds of my horses now.

OP, find another saddler.

Luci07

Visit site
Before making any decisions I would get another saddler to look at the saddle and get their verdict. I don't know about then fit on the platinum but do the SLK and SL so can't even offer a general view on it. I know the SLK tends to be better on warmbloods as it has broader panels and SL better on say TB X. Definately worth getting a second opinion though as one of Albions strengths is that their trees seem to fit most horses.

I would also have a look at something like Saddles Direct to get an idea of the true worth of your saddle. I would NOT be accepting the other saddle under any circumstances.

I am glad I have a good master saddler! Ellie Martin who gets a lot of recommendations on here..

Bikerchickone

Visit site
Definitely get another saddler out, even if it means you need to wait a while for them to come out. If you can find an independent saddle fitter (I use Julie Robertson who is based in Surrey) even better as my lady has been totally honest with me about what will and won't work for both of my horses. I wouldn't ever use anyone else now. I certainly wouldn't be accepting the second hand saddle they've offered you as a straight swap either.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Worst of mine it was fitted by saddlers that appear to come highly recommended on here...

Also the same here! I am fuming when I see that person recommended on here, they were truly awful. Dreadful customer service too, she's a vile person and has fallen out with every friend of mine who's used her in the past so I can't understand how she is still in business or recommended highly on HHO...

Luci07

Visit site
Also the same here! I am fuming when I see that person recommended on here, they were truly awful. Dreadful customer service too, she's a vile person and has fallen out with every friend of mine who's used her in the past so I can't understand how she is still in business or recommended highly on HHO...

Just in case anyone might mix up the saddlers... Ellie is in Surrey and NOT the saddler referred to in the above post!

kirstie

Visit site
I have phoned the saddler and told them that I won't be taking the SLK.

I want to be completely rid of them and start again with someone else, I feel like they are trying to completely rip me off! I do not want to give them another penny of my money.

Mine isn't so bad that I can't ride in it for the short term, so will try and get something sorted and keep her ticking over in 1st gear for a while.

Bubbles

Visit site
Gosh, another who has been in exactly the same situation as you, with a very highly recommended Albion stockist. Get a different saddler on board. Sadly you will lose a hunk of cash selling the platinum, but a better saddler might be able to do something...

Louby

Visit site
I am totally on your side, having gone through a similar thing a couple of years ago and the same again now but horses do change shape and sadly no saddle can be guaranteed to fit months later. I think unfortunately the problem is you said your horse was fat when you had the saddle fit and that she has lost this weight and muscled. It is now 12 months on, it sounds like you were happy with the saddle fit at the time it was fit but your horse has come back into work and totally changed shape. I had a made to measure Albion SLK and had problems from day 1, I was lucky and got a full refund almost 12 months later but it didnt fit from day 1 despite the saddler trying their best to make it! I am now in a similar situation, I recently moved yards, had a new saddle made to measure (different saddler), loved it but my horse has stressed and dropped loads of condition since the move, the saddle doesnt fit now. In my scenario, I cant blame the saddler, the saddle did fit but now doesnt and its only about 4 month down the line. Im not too bad, its not ideal but with a pad, Im getting away with the saddle and Im hoping when he puts the condition back on, it will fit again.
I really hope you can sort something out but I think after 12 months you may have a fight on your hands. Sorry.

kirstie

Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies.

The saddler was very aware of the fact that she was going to lose a lot of weight, I was hoping I could slim her into my old saddle but she told me that my old saddle was never going to be good and the Platinum would.

I'm not going to pick a fight with them over this, I know nothing is guaranteed, but I am not happy that they have tried to make even more money out of me by offering me a saddle approx half the value of mine in a straight swap! And expecting me to be grateful for it!

I am going to get another saddler up, get them to assess my saddle and go from there.
I would rather give someone else money than them another penny!

I will try to be less naive in future!

ETS I don't actually think the saddle has ever been 100%. I just think I've been in denial. Luckily I have a very forgiving horse, poor girl.

black_n_white

Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem at the moment and could have written your post pretty much word for word! Just wondering if we have the same saddler! whereabouts in the country are you?

Archiesmummy

Visit site
I have had a gut full of saddlers to be honest and shall tell.

I purchased Archie with a recently brand new Thorowgood 'fitted saddle' that was too small for him. I purchased a Wintec saddle from ebay and had a local saddler come check it and she said it was fine. F A B.

Next, I called out a master saddler to check his saddle. She marketed Thorowgood saddles and after dissing Wintec said she had a saddle which would be perfect for Archie, the newly introduced Thorowgood T6. No others that she carried would fit but this one would. I let her do her job. In my opinion, Archie's huge shoulder was compromised but I took her recommendation and bought the brand new T6. I never was truly happy with it. It looked good but always felt his shoulder wasn't free as it should be.

I called out a recommended saddler, who marketed Wintec. After dissing Thorowgood he said he had just one saddle that might be suitable, a brand new Winted GP. IMO, it still impeded his shoulder and I suggested a VSD. The reply was, that yes one of those would probably be better but he didn't have one and the GP would be fine. I just didn't have the funds to buy it then and there and he did not want to part exchange so I said I would purchase once I had sold my Thorowgood. I sold my Thorowgood and trawled through ebay and found exactly the same saddle over £100.00 cheaper, some even more so. You might say he had overheads and had to charge higher prices but he worked out of a van and I paid for the callout. I was not happy in my own mind that the Wintec GP was the correct saddle for him.

I took the decision to find my own saddle. I knew his width, knew the length I needed, knew I wanted a leather saddle, soft and supple. I found a Walsall Farrington on ebay, purchased two years earlier for over £1k, advertised on ebay but did not sell for £695 and I saw it again advertised for £450. I offered £350 and it was accepted. It was a VSD, had four girth straps. It is perfect. I have had several competent persons check it for me, have ridden it in and Archie is happy, no uneven pressure points found upon removal and I am as happy as I can be that it fits him fine. I believe it fits better than the saddles I was recommended by the two saddlers.

So after over £150 spent on saddle fitters who tried to sell me saddles that were not appropriate, I definitely needed a VSD, I don't think I shall waste my money again and definitely would not call on a saddler who wants to sell a particular make.

Pop yours on ebay and see if you sell it. People do buy good quality saddles that are pricey, you just have to be realistic on its worth.

dynasty

Visit site
I always get my vet out to check saddle before I buy them. Yes it is an added expense but my vet wants the saddle to fit and not cause pain whereas in my experience the saddler just wants to sell you a saddle. My vet checks them when necessary and I have never had any problem with any of them

Chocy

Visit site
Phone Albion & speak directly 2 their customer service dept. They r very helpful & may be able 2 suggest ways 2 adjust ure saddle.
U've just done this regarding my K2 jump-bought brand new 8mths ago & now hurting horse. I spoke 2 them just b4 saddle fitter came 2 sort saddle for 7th time! They phoned me back & were v helpful- even agreeing that it was excessive 2 b altered so much I'm such sort time.
They said 2 me 2 get saddle fitter 2

Chocy

Visit site
Sorry fone posting by itself!
Get saddle fitter 2 re-template horse & send that 2 them & they would let fitter know what 2 do ie change of tree, skim tree down change head etc yes it would cost but at least them would have saddle that fits directly influenced by the saddle manufacturer

Skippys Mum

Visit site
My friend bought an Albion saddle back in March. She is now currently onto her (I think) 7th reflock!! I dont think I have any great confidence in this make now :(

ahhhh - cross posted with the pal in question ;)