Help please what bit for my shetland?

shetlandponylover

Visit site
Hello just wondering if I can have your advice please :)
Had my shetland mare a month now and just bought her a new bridle as her other one didn't it right. The bit that was on her old bridle was a nylon inhand bit :/.
Just wondering what bit would be best for her please, she is only going to be used for l/r so I'm really looking for the softest most comfortable bit for her.
Many thanks x

Beentheredonethat

Visit site
I used a french link eggbut snaffle for my shettie. He had a shallow mouth with a fat tongue and he found the double joint of the french link very comfortable. He tended to lean on a straight bar, and hated a single jointed bit.

Tickles

Visit site
Especially if it will only be lead-rein will a bit be necessary at (non-showing) times?

Could you just pop her in a side pull?

shetlandponylover

Visit site
Thankyou :) I am wanting to show her aswell sorry should of put that on my post lol she is a fantastic girl but when out walking around our village would be nice to have a bit in just incase if you know what I mean x

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It seems to chunky in her mouth ( its an inhand nylon bit) x

Right. I just bought one online which is ridiculously chunky for the size, can't imagine what it would fit :rolleyes: saw some nice little rubber slim line ones at local shop but an inch too long :(I have given up for now as he is a mini with an odd tooth in the wrong place as well! My daughter just rides him in a head collar.

Spotsrock

Visit site
A little one? Sorry. Couldn't resist! I have a coblet with similar mouth shape to the average shettie and she finds a french link more comfy than single joint or straight bit due to lack of space and tendency to pinch the fleshy bits.