Help please what does your shetland weigh?

shetlandponylover

Visit site
I have just recently bought a 35" shetland mare <3.
I had the vet over last week to give her, her first tetanus vac. While he was here, I asked him if he wouldn't mind just checking her weight with a weight tape. He measured her at 230kg.
Surely that can't be right? She isn't fat bless her just very hairy :) I have had a good feel and her bum I feel is just right. You can feel her ribs a bit but not to much and can feel her shoulder blades.
I might be totally wrong but I just thought it was a bit off but then for the last 4years I had a tb. So I'm totally clueless to what she should weigh etc
Could anyone let me know what your little one weights please and if possible how many inches they are :) I just want to worm her but I don't want to give her to much etc
Nice glass of fizzy Pepsi for anyone who got this far lol x

cblover

Visit site
I have a shettie who is 38 inches and he's 225 kg. When you stroke him your hand disappears in his coat. Cute as a button... I love him.

shetlandponylover

Visit site
Thankyou everyone :) just worried about worming her as I don't want to give to much or too little :/ so confused lol if I had a trailer I would find the nearest place to weigh her but I don't even have a car to tow with lol x

Keen

Visit site
I know a fat shettie, 8 hands, 146kg weighed on a weighbridge - I think these figures are all coming in well over (as per putasockinit) becuase of using the tape to estimate weight. Enough wormer for 200 kg would be ample.

kellybee

Visit site
mine is 9.2hh and she's a long lean funny shaped girl weighing in at about 175. I keep her lean because of the lammy issue but she's healthy and I always dose her for 200

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Tiny Fuzzy is 33ins.
Shes approx 170 at her very roundest, on a weighbridge (and is usually 160/165)

However, out of interest (having seen your post before I went to the yard this afternoon) I popped the weigh tape round her :D cue lots of huffing & puffing from both of us :D - and thick shaggy-yak fur up my nose when reaching down for end of the tape :D and it said 225.

I wonder what it would make her if I use cattle clippers to remove coat where the tape goes? :D

I also worm for 200g as per vet & worm company recco :)

Last edited:

muckypony

Visit site
I have two foalies about 33" and 34" - I haven't used a weigh tape yet (must remember tomorrow!) but I have them on a 5-day wormer at the moment. I has dosage set at 'under 300kg = x amount; 400kg = x amount' so I didn't need to know their exact weight. Im due to use equest soon and the vet said give enough for about 250kg - it won't do any harm to give a little more but will be pointless giving too little, and its likely that a bit gets spat/dribble out!! My vet said mine are probably not even 100kgs yet, if the smaller one would hold still I reckon I could lift him up :p:p

I'm interested to know what the weigh tape says tomorrow... I reckon their bellies are a smiliar size, but one is most definitely bigger boned than the other so they cannot be the same!!

shetlandponylover

Visit site
She does have a very good coat :) so probs best to give her enough for 200kg? Just heard little ones tummies are very delicate when it comes to worming so I have Completely freaked myself out about worming her lol thankyou everyone x