Help Please

Time Tells

Visit site
Hello to all.

I have been reading these forums secretly for sometime and now wonder if anyone can help me.

I am looking for a safe horse either on loan with view to buy or to buy. A perfect new friend for us would be 15hh-15.3hh middle weight, coloured would be great. Ideal age would be 7-12years. This friend would be coming to an experienced private yard with company and owned by both experienced mother and daughter. Daughter wishes to do BD and is an excellent rider. Mother will merely hack, but due to a very serious horse accident has now lost confidence, so the horse must be more than 100% safe in all ways. Excellent in traffic with tractors, lorries and motor bikes etc. No stable or ridden vices, to include rearing, bucking or napping. In return this will be a 'forever' 7 star home and previous owner will be welcome to call at anytime. Open to home vetting etc. There must be a safe horse out there somewhere.

We have looked for our friend for over a year now and all over the country, to be honest, buying a horse has proved to be a mine field and we are just so tired and disappointed with all the inaccurate adverts we have responded too.

So have now decided to try and find our friend by other methods. If anyone knows or has a horse they want to send to a wonderful home, then please send me a message. I shall respond as soon as I receive it. We are in Devon so would preferably like to view horses in Devon, Somerset or Cornwall, however we are willing to travel to view, if the horse is as stated 100 per cent in everyway.

Many thanks

Times

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Hi, can't help with your search as the ones that I know and fit your criteria are not for sale. just wanted to welcome you to the forum and bumping this up for you.
BTW, I had a very good response to a wanted ad on Horsemart, have you tried that yet ?

muddypony

Visit site
ditto on the wanted ad, i put one on horsequest for something similar (it cost £11 i seem to remember), got several responses and within less than a week the ideal horse half an hour's drive away just fell into my lap.

Time Tells

Visit site
Horserider and Muddypony.....Many thanks for your welcome.

I have tried some horse websites, sadly all the horses I considered suitable were in Scotland or just as far and I have since learnt the hard way not to take SOME seller's word or opinion on the horse and only trying the horse once due to distance is really not an option for me any more. But I will try advertising again if nothing turns up, albeit, I am not in a hurry. This horse has to be the right one, so time is not an issue.
Many thanks for the welcome once again.

I wanted this to appear under each answer, but it seems I clicked the wrong reply...I have much to learn here. lol

Last edited:

Time Tells

Visit site
Horserider and Muddypony.....Many thanks for your welcome.

I have tried some horse websites, sadly all the horses I considered suitable were in Scotland or just as far and I have since learnt the hard way not to take SOME seller's word or opinion on the horse and only trying the horse once due to distance is really not an option for me any more. But I will try advertising again if nothing turns up, albeit, I am not in a hurry. This horse has to be the right one, so time is not an issue.
Many thanks for the welcome once again.

I wanted this to appear under each answer, but it seems I clicked the wrong reply...I have much to learn here. lol

Where are all the good horses then? Owned by good people who do not want to sell them. Awwwwww poor me.

diddydavies

Visit site
Hi Welcome fellow newbie,

I know exactly what you mean. I spent ages looking for my new horse and got fed up of people exaggerating beyond belief the capabilities and suitability of their horse. Anyway, my new friend arrived last Tuesday and I am absolutely smitten.

We ended up getting him from Kent, we are in North Wales, so a bit of a trek but well worth it. I did see one horse in Cheshire which might suit you. I got a good feel from the owners and the mare seemed straight enough. I hadn't ridden for 15yrs but felt safe enough to pop a crossbar when I tried her. If your thinking why didn't I buy her, well I nearly did but on reflection she was just a tad too big. If I hadn't gone to Kent I may well have done though. She was sweet.

I'll PM you with the details.

Don't get disheartened you will find what your looking for.

Spins

Visit site
Ok I'm not sure if it's still for sale or where you are are whatever.. Buuuuuut really liked this boy belonging to jhoward.. Think he's sooooo pretty.. And looks pretty safe to boot! Again dunno if he's right for you budget wise and all but I just loved him so had to share! (hope that's ok jhoward?!)

Just scroll down bit and there's a few pics

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=454924&highlight=Jhoward

Last edited:

Time Tells

Visit site
Hello Diddydavis.

Thank you so much for your response and understanding. I will most certainly make contact regarding the link.

In my experience buying a new horse can be a mine field. With respect to honest sellers, there is so many others whom, just want to get rid of a horse for a good price regardless of it's actual behaviour. Both my daughter and I are experienced horse women having a total together of 80years experience, therefore we can normally look at a horse and judge it's temperament. Having said this we have on occasions been caught out with dubious sellers masking the horse's behaviour with a variety of ways, which I shall not go into. Several years ago a friend came to us for advice and help finding a safe horse for her when due to an unfortunate 'bad buy' she lost her confidence. We spent over a year searching the country and trying horses until we found her perfect companion. They are now both successfully eventing, something she neither consciously wanted nor expected to do During this search I can truthfully say 80% of horses we looked at were in no way as describe! I often wonder if these sellers were either deluded or just down right liars. That said I have to admit we met some wonderfully honest sellers and some really nice horses, albeit they did not fit my friends criteria.

It was during this search that the three of us viewed a stunning horse who by the sellers own account ticked all the boxes, so off we drive several hundred miles to view this horse, whom on the surface did indeed tick all the boxes. The seller had a groom ride the horse in an arena and then I rode also. Apart from one or two things which with schooling would be corrected, the horse did seem wonder. That day I also took the horse for a hack in company, this also went well. We were very interested so stayed over night and tried the horse again the next day hacking alone. Bingo, this horse a 15.3hh 7 year old knabstrupper was the one, so we placed a deposit and agreed to purchase the horse on the grounds he past the five stage vet check and went home to arrange all the finer details and collection. We made an appointment to hack the horse alone once more and drove back the day before the vet check to do this. Normally I would call unannounced to try a new horse before buying, or get a friend to view as a potential buyer to see if statements made and details given were identical! But given the distance for anyone to travel, this was impossible.

Finding suitable transport we returned 10 later to collect the horse. We made good time on our journey and arrived an hour early so were neither surprised, nor suspicious when we were greeted by the groom whom told us the owner was not yet there. 30 minutes after arrival the transport man telephoned to inform us he had been involved in an accident which was not his fault and therefore would not be able to collect the horse as arranged. This was later to prove in some small way a blessing in disguise. Feeling really disappointed with a wasted journey of over 300 miles, (one way) I asked if I could ride the horse and at the very least gain something from this otherwise wasted journey. The groom was slightly hesitant, but I put this down to the fact she did not own the horse. We tried to telephone the owner, but only obtained voice mail. The owner had previously that it was the groom who normally dealt with viewings and cared for the horse, that she exercised him as well as the owner hacking and showing etc and the groom also answered many of the hundreds of questions which were asked on the times we viewed. Given we were unable to contact the owner I firmly requested as I had left a deposit and it was my intention to purchase the horse that there was no plausible reason as to why I could not take it for a hack unless it was ill or unsound.

The horse was duly tacked and did fidget a little, momentarily a feeling of something I could not put my finger on flashed through my mind, on reflection it was an instinct which I ignored. I attempted to mount the horse in the same surroundings and same way as I had done previously, but before I was able to seat myself the horse went nuts, rearing and bucking, I tried hard to hang on given I was too far into mounting to jump away from him, it happened so quickly and I was eventually unseated, the horse then trampled on me!

The groom was no where to be seen. A very long story cut short and I will not go into further detail. It turned out the horse had been drugged on previous visits that it had issues which both the groom and owner knew about. They were clearly selling a horse with a riding and mental issue for over £6,500 and hoped that some mug would come along and buy him. I was very nearly that mug!

In the past I have viewed and bought several horses including youngsters, I have never ever been caught out. I always go on my 'gut' feelings, using my instinct as a guide. This time I ignored it. I was severely injured, but have now almost recovered and am riding again, one of our two 500% safe horse's. If it was not for the fact that I know my babies so well I doubt I would have ever got in the saddle again. I guess you are now wondering why I am looking for a new one, well, we have owned these since foals, backing breaking and bringing on ourselves, they have excellent paces are responsive and well schooled, but sadly one has now developed arthritis and is so intermittently unsound and the other one made 17.2hhs, as both my daughter and I are only just 5Ft, we are very over horsed and although he ties hard, he would never be excell at dressage, also they are both veterans now and in an ideal world it would be nice for my daughter to better both herself and the horse together.

The idea was, we would try to find a safe horse so I could still enjoy my passion and overcome the nerves I have now developed and my daughter could further her dressage at the same time. At present we have four horses, the ones I have spoken of and two ponies who are my grandchildren's, to buy another two so we could have one each would be a needless expense. So here I am searching again, but this time, it will not be me that tries the horse. I could not go through that again, is still so clear in my mind.

Thank you diddydavis

soulfull

Visit site
I feel your pain!

I tried loads of horse doing 1000 miles or more TWICE. I now will only view horses that have recently been put up for sale Especially as you and I both wanted similar thing, ie safe sensible age 7-12 its what everyone wants and if they are still for sale then they are not as advertised!!!

Both times I decided to view new adverts only I bought the first horse I saw!

Both small dealers too

Moral of the story 9/10 times if it is popular and still for sale its not what it says on the tin:D

Time Tells

Visit site
Hello

Oh how very right your are. I agree with everything you say and could not have put it better.

Thank you so much for responding and being so understanding. Many folk think if you have lost confidence are nervous or looking for a safe horse, this depicts a green novice, there are those of us whom are nothing of the sort, but merely struggle with a mental issue caused through no fault of their own.

Horse riding is and can be a dangerous sport/hobby. In my opinion it is 90% hard work and 10% pure pleasure, but to me even if it was 1% pleasure, it would still be worth it. My family have had a passion for horse for generations, it is obviously in our blood. My 3 year old granddaughter rides and rides well on her beautiful little spotty, she is just so adorable, how could I not want to ride proud beside her.

I original place this post as hopefully another avenue to explore in my search, it was not intended for members to find the horse for me, just hoping point me in the right direction. Who knows a member may have just the horse, or even in their search came across one or knows someone who has one.
It was just a long shot that may well pay off.

Thank you for you kind response.

Regards Times

I feel your pain!

I tried loads of horse doing 1000 miles or more TWICE. I now will only view horses that have recently been put up for sale Especially as you and I both wanted similar thing, ie safe sensible age 7-12 its what everyone wants and if they are still for sale then they are not as advertised!!!

Both times I decided to view new adverts only I bought the first horse I saw!

Both small dealers too

Moral of the story 9/10 times if it is popular and still for sale its not what it says on the tin:D

soulfull

Visit site
Even if you don't find your next horse from here. I hope at least you will have made some new friends

We are mostly a lovely bunch :D

I know what you mean about wanting something safe does not mean you can't ride! My new one I bought while recovering from a nasty fractured ankle! I have had a replacement ankle since and am in a cast again after it slipped

I bought a young WB who though very green and keen is the safest horse I have ever had!

Don't rule out Czech or polish WB's their breeding is different than normal WB's in that they were bred for the average rider,

My lad is Czech and the least spooky horse I have EVER EVER met with fab paces for dressage and a good pop too:D

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
Ok I'm not sure if it's still for sale or where you are are whatever.. Buuuuuut really liked this boy belonging to jhoward.. Think he's sooooo pretty.. And looks pretty safe to boot! Again dunno if he's right for you budget wise and all but I just loved him so had to share! (hope that's ok jhoward?!)

Just scroll down bit and there's a few pics

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=454924&highlight=Jhoward

that was fine he is still for sale not been able to do viewings due to farrier hurting his back and cobby being minus a shoe, BUT i do have 2 lined up one we have agreed on a very short trial period as she is in the nf and worried about the crab flys. but until he is paid for he is still for sale!

he is op well schooled enough to go out and do a medium test.

Time Tells

Visit site
I am so pleased for you Soulfull. I have not ruled any type/breed out, other than a heavy weight/vanner, this is simple because they are not my cup of tea. I will consider and view all most everything else.

I hope your good fortune continues.
Many thanks
Times

Pebbles

Visit site
Hello

Oh how very right your are. I agree with everything you say and could not have put it better.

Thank you so much for responding and being so understanding. Many folk think if you have lost confidence are nervous or looking for a safe horse, this depicts a green novice, there are those of us whom are nothing of the sort, but merely struggle with a mental issue caused through no fault of their own.

Hello and welcome :) I so agree with the above statement, I am in the same situation as you, a lifetimes experience of riding and horse owning, enforced 10 years break due to divorce and now back in the saddle and buying again have had 2 nasty falls in 6 months and confidence at a very low ebb but when its in the blood there is no stopping us. I am searching for something similar and wish you well with your search. I strongly believe 'the one' is out there for us all and I just haven't found mine yet this time around. Do let us know how you are getting on, the forum is a great place for help and inspiration and someone may well help recommend the one for you.

Time Tells

Visit site
Pebbles

Thank you for your comments. Yes both you and I know how difficult it is finding our new 'best friend'. I wish you luck also in your search and hope you find what your looking for.

I have received a few links pointing me in different directions and will be looking into these. I most certainly will post any developments here for you all to read.

One lady contacted me yesterday with a stunning looking horse, sadly she is hundreds of miles from me, but I have not ruled the horse out. As I said I will explore every avenue and as I am in no desparate hurry, I am fortunate enough to have time on my side.

Best wishes

Times

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Hello and welcome.

Sorry, I don't have a horse to sell - nearly all mine being wonky or retired, so they're never going anywhere :rolleyes:

Just a thought though, one which no doubt you have covered in your search, but maybe worth saying:

I went looking for a 17-17.2hh short coupled gelding, age 4-5 years old. Came back with a supposedly 16hh 3.5 year old just backed mare. Sadly she had chronic damage to her rear suspensories, but if she hadn't, she would have been grand and would have gone on to to just what I wanted (BS, and prob 3 day event).

When I lost her, I went looking again for my original criteria horse, and this time came home with a 16.1 4 year old DWB Ginger mare that's half a rib too long (but has stonkingly good breeding), doubling my budget to get her.

There's a story to her past, which means that she is broken to an extent and will not now jump more than a metre, if that, so again I'm stymied, but the moral of the story is that I have had two brilliant horses that bore no relation to what I went looking for. If it hadn't been for the medical reasons, then either horse would have taken me to where I wanted to be :D

Time Tells

Visit site
An update on my search for the right horse!

Well, if I had any doubt on my opinion of some horse sellers being deluded, today's experience confirmed I was right. Last evening I saw a NEWLY Placed advert for a stunning horse, it read as follows;

A few prominent lines taken from advertisement

Bombproof in traffic, hacks alone and in company. Absolutely no vices. BIG winner both in hand and ridden to county level

He would suit Mother/Daughter/Granny share and is safe to ride in open country in pleasure rides and on the beach.

He has been there and done it all, always with a smile on his face

This will be a heartbreaking decision so NO timewasters please

First thing this morning we telephoned the owner and once she confirmed this horse was as stated plus more, we set off to drive the hundred mile journey to view.

Once there, we discovered several things which un-ticked a few of our boxes. One being the fact he had been bought as a 3 year old straight from the boat from Poland to be used for years as a stallion covering their 40 plus mares and had only recently been cut, To me this was NOT the safe family hack the advert portrayed him to be.

Also despite breeding, bringing on and selling many horses, she claimed she was NOT a dealer.

Still we gave the benefit of doubt and asked to see him ridden.

The owner tacked him and took him to the mounting block, as soon as her foot went in the stirrup the smile left his face, his ears fell backward and he forcefully stomped off, despite her reining him in he kept walking forward, so she let him go.

Walking up the lane/drive in a matter of 100 yards he majorly spooked at nothing at all, four of them being quite bad. Once on the B road, he did appear to be trafficproof to some degree, but as we met nothing big, fast or spooky, I am unable to say how he would have reacted had he met any of the latter.

Whilst I agree, with schooling and time he would no doubt improve, but he had done nothing other than the odd show or hunted. Therefore I would not have advertised him as 'Been there! Done it all with a smile on his face!'

What I can say, is this horse was not as advertised and I would not say he was the laidback quiet family ride for mother/daughter and granny, as she had stated. He was very very spooky and rode like a youngster, spooking and looking at everything with his head in the air. Whilst he did not buck, rear or nap and did not dish when being trotted up, he did how ever dish when in trot out on the hack and on one occasion fell over his own feet. He had not really been schooled, jumped or really hacked other than round the farm and the odd nearby quiet lane, so I fail to see how she could state as she did in her advertisement and to me over the telephone that he had 'Been there done everything!'

I agree none of these things are majorly bad or incorrectable, the point I am making is..

I went to see was a quiet laid back, well schooled, great paces, potentially capable, 110% bombproof, none spooky family hack plus___________who had been there and DONE IT ALL with a smile on his face.

What I actually discovered was a visually good looking almost freshly gelded horse, who had few manners, was not exactly schooled, nor 110% bombproof, (that's if one considers bombproof to include 2 cars passing at t-junction, a still black bag, a still gate way, a leaf moving in the hedge etc etc) had not jumped other than when out hunting, had never done XC, eventing, dressage, pony club, pleasure rides bla bla bla and showed no signs of being hacked to any great degree and had never been in a field with mares since he was gelded!

Plus the advertisement said NO TIME WASTERS...err who was wasting whose time?

What he did have in his favour, were his looks, he was quite lovely to look at, not everybodies cup of tea.... mine yes, but not the asking price. Had he really been there and done it all and was as stated, then YES it was a fair price and I would have paid it!

So Hey Ho it's off I go back to the drawing board I am afraid.

Last edited:

juliette

Visit site
Can I make a suggestion?

I found my horse through my farrier. He obviously knows loads of horses and hears when they come up for sale and has a fair idea of whether they have any health issues and what they do day to day.

May be worth a chat with your farrier to make him aware you are looking?

Good luck with your search.

Time Tells

Visit site
blucanoo1990

Thank you for your suggestion. Years ago we actually tried charities including the blue cross and LIHP, to our experience these horses were either veterans, had issues or were just not suitable for our requirements. If I just wanted a 'happy hacker,' then age conformation and lesser issues would not come in to it, but I am looking for a dual purpose horse.
Thank you for responding though, it was a good thought.
Many thanks