Help Please!

TallyHo123

Visit site
I have always received great advice and suggestions on here with other issues so thought I would ask regarding my TB x ID's poor feet.
He is coming up 14 and has never had fantastic feet but they have always been manageable with a regular (and great) farrier. However this summer they have gone totally to pot.

The only change in routine is I have only been riding once a week as I have had a crazy summer work wise. I have tried a couple of supplements such as pro feet but had no joy.

Farrier was here today and has had to leave back shoes off (he struggles without shoes) as the foot just simply isn't growing and he struggled to even get fronts put on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Give his hooves a break and ride with hoof boots; you'll be amazed how quickly they get used to them; I've been using them for 3 years now, Ben's hooves are great, no chips or anything. He is fed Veteran Vitality, magnesium, linseed and Equimins Hoof Mender. His hooves grow about quarter of an inch in 6 weeks :)

Amelia&Maisey

Visit site
I had the same with my ISH,3 years ago, LINSEED IS AMAZING !! all of the farriers formula ect are very pricey and I didn't notice much a change !!! effol hoof moisturiser as well twice a day works a treat !

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
How long did you try the Pro Hoof for? Remember it only affects the new growth at the coronet band, so you need to grow out the whole hoof capsule which takes several months.

Could you post photos of your horse's hooves?

Radar Lugs

Visit site
My IDx has always had problems with keeping shoes on. In the summer he is shod every 4 weeks as his hooves dry out to much and crumble, in the winter he pulls shoes off in the mud. My farrier laughs that I pay for his holidays!
I have had him for nearly 11 years now and have tried every supplement out there to no avail.
Last year I discovered rosehips, a natural " herb". Last winter he didn't loose 1 shoe. This summer to date he has lost only 2 shoes but my farrier tells me that with the warm weather that lots of horses are struggling to keep their shoes on this year. His feet are much tougher and generally in good shape.
I get mine from Feedmark. Definately worth a try.

TallyHo123

Visit site
Will get some pics and post them later this afternoon.
Will look into rosehips - sounds great!

Sorry forgot to mention I have tried many supplements over the years of owning him, he was on pro-feet for a full winter, he has never had fantastic feet but they are getting worse rather than better.

putasocinit

Visit site
Are his feet nice and short so the nails have a good bit of hoof to hold on to, if the feet are long the hoof is not thick enough for a good hold. Not surprised you are paying your farriers holidays and he probably knows why.

claribella

Visit site
I would get him onto a barefoot diet regardless of whether you hav shoes on or not it will help. Low sugar high fibre. Agree feed linseed although b careful if you have a good doer. Rose hips and seaweed and mag ox is also good. Lots of movement. Hoofboots.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Faracat I think your getting confused, she's tried pro feet which is a naf supplement.

OP- go on eBay and order some pro hoof and wait for the fab results. Having 3 bare horses myself and 1 shod horse I hated the way the bare horses feet are so good but the shod mares feet are slow growing and cracked and general look awful so she's now newly bare and awaiting the new growth.
What do u feed?
I would look into getting him on something like fast fibre, pro hoof and micro linseed. Take all cereal,molasses,starch and as much sugar right away.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Pro hoof did not work well on any of mine but I have had a fantasic result with farriers formula with my TB and with the forage plus balancer with another.
I would give the horse mag ox but would be cautious with rose hips as they do irritate some tummies .
The current advice I have is that seaweed is best avoided as you don't know it makeup or where it comes from and it can be high in iron which is a bad idea for poor feet.
Micronised linseed is a good thing to add to the diet.
I would get the shoes off get some boots and give the feet a good break from shoeing.