Help please!

trickishrose

Visit site
I brought a new mare a month ago and the first couple of times of riding her she was fine. We didn't do much work as I wanted her to settle into her new home.. She had rain scald (from her previous owners) so I didn't ride whilst I was treating this and so recently I tried riding her again but she kept throwing her head down and acting a bit silly..I tried her several more times and she keeps chewing the bit constantly and throwing her head down (even after adjusting the bit several times) she is now not doing anything won't even move despite the amount of kicking ect I have tried giving her long reins and she still puts her head down and refuses to move. She walks and trots fine on a lead rope. today we tried her on a rope (me riding) and she wouldn't do anything just kept rearing up when encouraged to walk on or goes in reverse a few steps and throws her head.. any ideas?

trickishrose

Visit site
Yes they were my three top guesses and have booked the dentist and the saddle is fine so if it's not the teeth will then go the back route, I just wondered if there could be something else or if anyone had a similar experience :)

trickishrose

Visit site
She is 12 this month and has been broken to ride and drive since a youngster (she is a french trotter). Her teeth are booked in to be looked at Tuesday and l don't know when they were last done as the previous owners were gypsies who used her for sulky racing and general riding.

Undecided

Visit site
If its not back, saddle of teeth maybe get an instructor to give you a few lessons to get going? When I first got on Rio I couldn't get him to stop without swinging his quarters so I got an instructor to go over the basics with me and then we moved on from there. She might just be used to one persons style of riding and yours may be different and she has to re-learn what you want?

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
How long has she not been ridden for? Has she gained weight or lost muscle in that time? Is it possible the saddle no longer fits? The "head down" thing combined with refusing to move sounds like back pain to me, especially since she goes ok in hand. What happens if you ride bareback in a bridle, or with the saddle but a headcollar instead of a bridle? If you can try this it will help to determine whether its back or teeth that's the problem.

neddy man

Visit site
she may have been ridden very little, and is not sure what to do . Try longlining her to imitate driving and see if she moves forward freely .Then put a bit of weight on the saddle, and see how she reacts , most driven horses react to a lot of voice commands ,keep the legs still and try "walk on , walk on "then gradually use the legs gently alongside strong verbal commands .Try and let her think she is being driven not ridden .