help pleasepleaseplease

charlotte162

Visit site
can anybody tell me anything about inflammation on the pasterns?
hows it caused and treated?
and how long it takes the horse to recover?
thankss in advance xx

charlotte162

Visit site
my friend has looked at a horse for sale,
it didnt pass the vetting due to this problem,
he was lame on his hind right on hard ground and lame on his hind left on the soft ground
due to more investigation he has been diagnosed with inflamation in his pasterns, which is apparenly easily treated and should cause no future probs, she really likes this horse but wanted to find out some more info before going ahead.
xx

Llwyncwn

Visit site
Well, if there is inflamation then there will be swelling and possibly heat which means that there is something going on inside. The swelling will be there to protect the joint. Im afraid I cant be of much help here but I would be wary of buying a lame horse. How do you know that it is easily treatable? I would want to know alot more details about the vets diagnosis beforehand, i.e. has the horse been x-rayed or scanned for a definite diagnosis?

Marchtime

Visit site
Agree with Llwyncwn. You don't know what's going on within the joint. I always thought inflamation was a side effect of an injury rather than a diagnosis in itself. My boy had inflamation of the coffin joint but it was caused by ligament damage. I'd stay well away, there are other horses out there.

monstermunch

Visit site
I'm afraid I too would be wary of buying this horse. It may indeed be easily treated but how do you know for sure? Apparently small injuries can often turn into a mounain of vets bills and complications. Different horses heal in different ways and I'm afraid unless you know exactly what is going on I wouldn't assume it is easily treated, and would probably walk away. It's hard but is it really worth the risk? Good luck

kerilli

Visit site
there's no point paying for a vetting if you don't go on what the vet says. if s/he thought it was minor, that's one thing, but if it failed, walk away. lame horses cost as much to keep as sound ones and are a lot less rewarding... never buy trouble!